PDA

View Full Version : Sump in a closet? Yes or no?

The Punisher
11/10/2010, 05:51 PM
I'm thinking of running my sump in my closet with drains and returns going through the wall to the display tank, but my better half doesn't like the idea and claims it will stink up all of her clothes and make them mildew. Does anybody have a sump inside of a functioning closet full of clothes/shoes (you know, all the stuff normal people keep in their closets)? And if so, are there any issues? The sump would be a 55 gallon tank.

tkeracer619
11/10/2010, 05:52 PM
No way!

Your wife is right.

MelbaToasty
11/10/2010, 06:14 PM
I did the exact same thing... Sump in a closet with drain and return lines through the drywall. However, my closet is a utility closet without linens of any kind. Tell the wife to move her clothes. It makes for a great looking DT. :rollface:

afernandez
11/10/2010, 06:17 PM
Don't do it . b/c of what she said, salt creep and unless you going to cover the sump something can fall in it and clog it. Or shoe debri and your wife is against it she
might an "accident" too risky

The Punisher
11/10/2010, 07:03 PM
I was thinking of building a box around the sump to keep stuff out and to reduce humidity, salt creep, etc. The box would have a removable front to easily access the sump and equipment. I was hoping to show her this thread to convince her that it wasn't a bad idea but one look at all the people saying she is right and I would never hear the end of it :p

OwenInAZ
11/10/2010, 09:01 PM
Humidity with a capital H in the closet. Mold in the proposed box. Even in Phoenix I deal with mildew in the stand.

scubasteve06
11/10/2010, 09:05 PM
Yea man I think that it would be a bad idea. Not only the humidity but the salt creep is what I'd worry about. I mean do you really want salt creep in your undies?:D

The Punisher
11/11/2010, 04:41 AM
So, even if the sump were in a box, just like it would be if I put it in the stand under the display tank, y'all still think I'd have humidity issues? I don't think mold or anything like that would be any more of a problem then it would if the sump was under the tank. Maybe I'm wrong though, and judging by the responses so far, it's looking like that may be the case.

Any more thoughts/comments?

RVANANO
11/11/2010, 06:59 AM
Bad idea if anything is in there. But great idea if not :) I have louvered doors on my closet so no humidity issues.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1805337

brycerb
11/11/2010, 07:35 AM
It seems like the wife is holding you back. :bum: Might be a good time for an accident.:uzi: Its doubtful the police will figure the motive out. :wildone:

RVANANO
11/11/2010, 07:39 AM
I say ditch the clothes. I love having all my stuff in the closet. makes it so easy to work on/maintain.

scubasteve06
11/11/2010, 08:04 AM
It seems like the wife is holding you back. :bum: Might be a good time for an accident.:uzi: Its doubtful the police will figure the motive out. :wildone:

Only a reefer...only a reefer....:lmao:

JeF4y
11/11/2010, 08:22 AM
Another vote for BAD IDEA. I wouldn't consider it for the simple reasons your wife stated and everyone else confirmed...