PDA

View Full Version : Poor polyp extension/bleaching

Arkayology
11/11/2010, 05:18 PM
I have a 20H SPS reef with a 4x24 96w TEK fixture with x3 ATI blue+ and x1 AB special at about 6 inches above the water and about 10 or 11 from the top most SPS, AquaC Remora skimmer, JBJ ATO, HOB AC70 fuge, Vortech es mp10. I have good params(0 nitrites, 420 ca, 8.3 ph, 10 alk, Salinity @ 1.025). I run GFO and carbon in the HOB fuge as I am battling low levels of phos. GBTA, softies, and clam are growing and doing well. Tank has been set up for a year.

Some of my SPS extends really well during the day, like my purple plasma and to some extent my purple nana. They are fairly high in the tank. But most will not extend during lighted hours. After an hour or two in the dark, they will all extend. I have a green mili that never wants to extend at all and is fairly bleached, even when I put it on the sand bed(might just be really ****ed off from being up high). Everything grows pretty well also.

I am wondering if the light on the TEK fixture may be too bright, even at the height that I have it at, and effecting my polyp extension. My low levels of phos may also effect this too perhaps?

I also notice that all SPS in my tank is much lighter in tone after a few weeks from picking it up at the LFS or another reefer's tank. Is this a lighting issue too?

Any sage advice on lighting, polyp extension, and coloring with a TEK fixture, phos, or other stuff that I have not thought of? thanks

ddnguyen
11/11/2010, 06:08 PM
hi

got the same problems.....
mb u put some pics in there would be better to analyse
regards
viet

ROCKMAN_1
11/11/2010, 06:45 PM
tagging along I am also interested

Arkayology
11/11/2010, 06:56 PM
FWIW, I started using carbon for the first time in my HOB fuge with the GFO yesterday. Came back from the lab and noticed some PE on my SPS that I normally never see it on during the day (the polyps were long enough to sway in the current!)Maybe it is a toxin issue?

As for the pics, I could post them, but I have a nikon point and shoot. The colors would not show up as they truly do IRL. When i say bleaching, I mean that the colors appear lighter then they should be. No RTN or actual white corals here.

Ostentum
11/12/2010, 09:54 AM
Phosphates could be one of the causes. How often do you change your carbon and GFO. Just a question but have you checked Nitrates and Ammonia. How often do you do water changes and with what brand of salt. How old are the bulbs.

mike_cmu04
11/12/2010, 10:24 AM
It sounds like a lighting issue to me try lowering the photo period or raising the light if you can and see if that helps.