PDA

View Full Version : Chemical Warfare Between Softies?

Terryz_
11/12/2010, 02:16 PM
Just wondering, would placing soft coral in close proximity with different species would cause chemical warfare? Is there any soft corals that I should take note of? I have Cladiella, Cespitularia, Litophyton(I think), Lobophytum, Sarcophyton, Scleronephthya, Sarcothelia, Sinularia... They are mostly place in close proximity and almost touching each other... Would it cause any problem long term...

TIA...

Hormigaquatica
11/15/2010, 01:03 AM
In my experience, most tolerate each other fairly well, but there are exceptions. For example I've had Sinularia totally nuke Sarcophyton elegans before, and a "Pulsing Sinularia" that one of my larger Sarcophytons actually contorts around in an attempt to avoid. There are a number of gorgonians that can severely retard the growth of neighboring softies too, even to the point of killing them. I would suggest running a fair amount of carbon in the system, and keeping a close watch on the more sensitive species.

aleonn
11/17/2010, 03:51 PM
Allelopathy does happen, but is best managed with carbon and proper coral placement. If possible I'd spread them apart from each other, as some of your softies tend to grow large and will require more space in the future. If you cannot move them, you may have to prune or frag them out regularly.

Terryz_
11/18/2010, 09:26 AM
In my experience, most tolerate each other fairly well, but there are exceptions. For example I've had Sinularia totally nuke Sarcophyton elegans before, and a "Pulsing Sinularia" that one of my larger Sarcophytons actually contorts around in an attempt to avoid. There are a number of gorgonians that can severely retard the growth of neighboring softies too, even to the point of killing them. I would suggest running a fair amount of carbon in the system, and keeping a close watch on the more sensitive species.

Allelopathy does happen, but is best managed with carbon and proper coral placement. If possible I'd spread them apart from each other, as some of your softies tend to grow large and will require more space in the future. If you cannot move them, you may have to prune or frag them out regularly.

This is my placement of my softies corner.. I hope it seems okay... Still expanding collection..

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n69/Terryz87/IMAG0611.jpg

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n69/Terryz87/IMAG0610.jpg

Misled
11/18/2010, 05:59 PM
Terry, you're gonna need a bigger tank!!!!