PDA

View Full Version : brown algae

cassklar
11/12/2010, 08:02 PM
have a 37 gallon tank just started running a month ago had green algae for while now thats gone and i got brown algae now on my sand and rocks water looks cloudy like if there is some type of film in there had water check today for anomonia and phosphates and everything else at a local aquirium shop and the water tested good still dont know why i am getting so much brown algae ideas would be great. lighting is 2 150 watt 15k mh and 4 t5 thanks

fishiegirl
11/12/2010, 08:25 PM
I'm not sure about the brown algae cuz im sorta a newbie, but when I started out someone gave me some advice that I thought I would pass along. Buy your own test kit. From what I've heard fish stores will tend to tell you that the water tested "good" without telling you the exact numbers. Not only could the person at the fish store be wrong about what "good" is (or just saying it to get you to buy stuff), you also won't have anything to compare future tests too. Once you do that, post all the info about your water parameters and it will be much easier for others to give you good advice.
Good luck figuring out what's going on with the algae!

Mylilreef
11/12/2010, 08:28 PM
sounds like you're just finishing the cycling process. sounds like a diatom outbreak. should clear up in a week or two. since you,re water checks out okay you can start adding a CUC or at least a couple of snails. just be sure to drip acclimate to help cut down any losses. i made the mistake of not doing that when i first started & couldn't understand why over half of them would die in the first couple of days.

also try to stay away from the big turbo snails.they come from cooler waters than we keep our tanks at and will inevitibly die off fairly quickly - made that mistake too. think of it as almost cooking them to death. i don't understand why the lfs push them so much when there are so many other better options out there.

cassklar
11/12/2010, 08:52 PM
thanks for the feed back i do have my own test kit and double checked everything as well and the water is good so i am hoping it is just a outbreak i am going to get some nassaraus snails to help clean up my sand bed i hope it works and goes away

cassklar
11/12/2010, 08:55 PM
also forgot to metion is my water looks slimy i have a protein skimmer only i have a extra tank for a sump thinking about running that any thoughts?

fishiegirl
11/12/2010, 09:01 PM
Are you talking about surface film? If so, an overflow box going to the sump would help with that.

malis72
11/12/2010, 09:10 PM
sounds like you're just finishing the cycling process. sounds like a diatom outbreak. should clear up in a week or two. since you,re water checks out okay you can start adding a CUC or at least a couple of snails. just be sure to drip acclimate to help cut down any losses. i made the mistake of not doing that when i first started & couldn't understand why over half of them would die in the first couple of days.

also try to stay away from the big turbo snails.they come from cooler waters than we keep our tanks at and will inevitibly die off fairly quickly - made that mistake too. think of it as almost cooking them to death. i don't understand why the lfs push them so much when there are so many other better options out there.

diatom outbreak, in time it will pass also agree with big turbo comment, 2 weeks dont add anything see how it progresses, even well established tanks still get outbreaks of some nature now and again

ct103
11/12/2010, 09:16 PM
Most likely a diatom or cyano outbreak water changes are in order if you haven't been doing them regularly they are an absolute need. Good luck and be patient and you will do well.

cassklar
11/13/2010, 12:43 PM
Another question I have read that water flow is important as well mr tank is 30" wide by 12" in depth by 23" in high I have one k 3 running about 3" below the top of tank is that enough or do I need more I have another o2 as well as bank should I be usiing those as well thanks in advance

Mylilreef
11/13/2010, 01:51 PM
it probably wouldn't hurt to have the extra flow. i upgrade to 2 - k4 equivelent a couple of months back on my 55g (almost twice as much as i had) and everything in my tank is much happier.