PDA

View Full Version : HELLLP Skimmer Gone Crazy!

asonitez
11/13/2010, 12:44 AM
Warner Marine K2

Heres the scenario. I neglected my tank for like a few weeks. Got a bad outbreak of cyano and red slime. I dosed red slime remover twice in 48 hours basically using the entire bottole. Skimmer was offline during this period. Redslime got wiped out and I did 2 water changes 30 gallons each One on sunday and one the following friday.

Tank is a 125gal w/ 30 breeder sump.

I cleaned up my skimmer just a little bit but did not remove it from the water and i plugged it in to begin skimming. It immediately overflowed and keeps overflowing. I'm not sure what the heck to do. I opened up the valve WIDE as it will go. Tonight I am soaking/running the skimmer in a rubbermaid of freshwater and vinegar. I'll give it a sound cleaning and then try again. I dont know what else to do. It's worked excellent all times before.

Porcupinepuffer
11/13/2010, 09:28 AM
Not familiar with the skimmer. But almost always it's an issue with your air/water ratio. Check and make certain your air line is clean and clear going to the skimmer. Make sure your main water intake is clear of any debris. I once had a sponge formation right at the volute on the air intake of my skimmer that was making it pull water and almost no air.

mojo~
11/13/2010, 10:33 AM
its what you added to the water. give it a couple more water changes. It changes the surface tension of the water and causes this. the skimmer is fine. trust me on this.

Mojo~

sedor
11/13/2010, 10:41 AM
With all the cleaning your doing on your skimmer your likely going to have to go through another break in period where the oils build up the the walls of the skimmer. Everyone who gets a new skimmer has to go through this period. Just run it as open as you can and wait it out. Eventually it will be back to normal.

zachfishman
11/13/2010, 11:46 AM
I dosed red slime remover

BAZINGA! Whenever I used that stuff my skimmer went crazy for days.

cobra9
11/13/2010, 01:36 PM
Run lots of carbon for a few days and another water change or 2 and it should settle down.

Snafu-2112
11/13/2010, 07:51 PM
Exactly the reason why I hate adding anything to my tank. I avoid it at all costs unless I am desperate, because I know my skimmer will go nuts for the better part of a week.