PDA

View Full Version : Kalk slurry on Aptasia = No aptasisa :)

tank41
11/14/2010, 10:44 AM
Man I have tried it all with all the tips on killing the nasty aptasia except for this one that I am not sure why not. I have kalk by the gallon and just figured it was another one of those ideas that would keep the pesti animal at bay for a couple of days and then just resurect like nothing happened. I was bored last week and thought what the heck I wll give it a try. I boiled a cup of water in the microwave and then used only abouty 3 ounces of it and added 2 teaspoons of kalk. I also used a needle and syringe like you would see at the Dr. office to give shots. I filled the syringe with the kalk and injected them as closley to the mouth that I could. Results 8 days later and no aptasia. I had 4 aptasia and one majono and have not returned. So try this if you have not. It worked for me.

Lina5910
11/14/2010, 05:32 PM
ya i tryed this myself for the first time a few days ago and it worked like magic!! :)

Snowangel2214
11/14/2010, 07:46 PM
Great to hear others results. I will have to give it a try.

BeanMachine
11/14/2010, 07:55 PM
Isn't that what aiptaisia x is made of?

tank41
11/14/2010, 09:35 PM
I think it is also very helpful to have a needle to inject it with. Unlike commercial products you do not have the needle offered. Also not sure if the boiling water atributed to the success but figured it may give it a little extra help along with the kalk mix. I have tried just boiling water in the past with no positive results.

Borrisrex
11/15/2010, 07:53 AM
I am also having problems with aptaisia. Am I understanding you correct in that you inject them? I have been trying to feed it to there mouth using the flat head syringe that came with the joe's juice.

Texxxx
11/15/2010, 08:03 AM
Kalk paste works real good. I have done it before. One thing to remember is if you get some on your corals, it will kill them also. Be careful not to get it on them.

om619
11/15/2010, 09:23 AM
ima doimg to try this

reefried
11/15/2010, 09:42 AM
fwiw joes juice comes with a needle tip, a plastic one not a real needle but imo the plastic is better as the smaller needle can clog up eaisily...and i just use a cup of rodi water with a table spoon of kalk, shake it for a min and your ready to kill!!!!....and also a good way to do it is to shut the flow in the tank off then inject the pest wait 5 min after you inject the last one and turn the flow back on.................if your killing a lot or maybe some invasive palys then you might want to syphon the excess paste off the rocks before turning pumps back on as kalk can raise the ph pretty fast in a small tank

Eric45
11/15/2010, 04:04 PM
I have seen dozens of posts touting a cure after using it for only a week or two. In the end none that I have used worked. But I've only begun using the kalk paste so we'll see.

IslandCrow
11/15/2010, 04:38 PM
The problem is, once you start seeing aiptasia, there are very often some you don't see. In my experience, I'm guessing the kalk has irrevocably killed the aiptasia 90% of the time. When they've popped back up, I believe it has more to do with me missing one (or more) buried down in or behind a rock. I've had great experience with peppermint shrimp as well.

Jstdv8
11/15/2010, 06:57 PM
Ive killed hundreds of aips in my tank from LR i got from a fellow reefer.
killed them a little at a time with the kalk paste.
I actualyl used Mrs. Wages pickling lime, same stuff.
you don't need to boil the water.
you should also cover thier entire face so they can't spew out thier babies and make more.
in addition its a really good idea to leave the kalk on tehre for about an hour or so and then suck out the aiptasia and the kalk paste with a turkey baster so the paste doesnt spike your PH and so the aip doesnt have any tissue left in the tank to make more aiptasia.

Jstdv8
11/15/2010, 06:59 PM
i also bought a peppermint shrimp to look at and to possibly take care of any little guys that would pop up and cause a problem.
I hanv;t seen any little ones and I don't know if thats because i did an awesome job with the paste or he's been taking care of them before they get big.

I didbring in another rock recently that had a number of aiptasia on it jsut to see if he's eat them and he didn't, but tehy were pretty good sized, so i pasted them too.
back to 0 again :)

manissen10
11/22/2010, 01:17 PM
where can you buy this kalk at?