PDA

View Full Version : Asterina or split mini-star?

HanoverFist
11/14/2010, 12:19 PM
Got a piece of LR off a local reefer last nite. It came with at least one mini-star that I saw. Today, I saw another tiny white star on the glass.

It only seems to have 3 good arms and 3 stubby arms. Isn't that the trademark of the dreaded Asterina star? Or, is this a mini that's split in half and is regrowing? I didn't think they took to the glass.

I took a pic - but its just a fuzzy white blob in the pic. Can tell it has 3 legs and that's about it so I won't insult you by posting it :P Any advice on getting a P&S camera to focus on something other than the water column would be helpful (i read the photography articles here already)

If it is asterina i'd love to know so I remove them while the population is still minimal. Any tips on ID'ing these things?

aleonn
11/14/2010, 12:41 PM
My asterina starfish follow your description. They break off and reproduce relatively quickly. Most of them didn't bother my corals for 6 months, until the bigger ones started recently. I'm thinking of banishing them to my sump once I have my new tank set up.

HanoverFist
11/14/2010, 01:13 PM
So I should probably do my self a favor and get it out now?

Any way to tell for sure if its a mini or an asterina?

Salamander
11/14/2010, 02:46 PM
Why worry about Asterina stars? They're really not so "dreaded," but in most cases beneficial and part of the diversity in your tank.

aleonn
11/14/2010, 02:48 PM
If you plan to keep corals, I would take the asterina out now. Just my personal opinion though. Some people don't have problems with asterinas, though.

Here is a good starfish article: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-06/ac/feature/index.php

HanoverFist
11/14/2010, 03:17 PM
heh..I JUST finished reading that before popping back over here. :)

Since i do have a paly in there I guess I should remove it. Sucks cause it's basically the only life in my tank besides the paly and some tube worms. :(

bertoni
11/14/2010, 04:40 PM
I kept Asterina snails for years without problems. Some species do attach corals, though. Personally, I'd leave it. The coral-eaters seem to be easy to remove, and your's likely just an algae eater. There is some risk, though.