PDA

View Full Version : Using filter socks

lolgranny
11/14/2010, 03:31 PM
How often do you guys have them on / change them / ect.

Basically im asking because im having algae problems, i feed a tiny amount once every 3 days. Using Ro/DI water for changes. Heavy skimming. Perimeters are all in check using salfert test kits. Corals all seem to be happy, fish as well. I typically change the socks every 3days, i dont have any debris floating through the water so i took off the sock because i think its adding to the nutrient issue. I could be wrong, but was wondering what you guys are doing :)

Oh and im doing 4g water changes on a 40g breeder / 20g sump every week- week and a half. basically about 20%-25% change a week.

Thanks my friends
David

jhoff
11/14/2010, 03:38 PM
I change my socks every mon & thur keeps my water crystal clear and keeps the sump clean also..

jeff@zina.com
11/14/2010, 03:43 PM
I change my socks on laundry day. Oh, you meant in the sump... :bigeyes:

Actually, for filter socks, I have a habit of switching them out every few days, wash them in a load once a week and they're good to go. They're cheap enough to have several on hand.

Jeff

csharps42
11/14/2010, 03:59 PM
I change my weekly, just throw the dirty one in the washer using just hot water and then soak it in ro water for about an hour, never had a problem.

marti224
11/14/2010, 04:21 PM
I was using the filter socks a real pain to replace, wash, etc.After doing some reading I realized they did not really serve any purpose...If you wanted to rid yourself of problem algae do some reading on snail and crabs and add accordingly...

Fish4Me2
11/14/2010, 05:38 PM
Hmm. Doesn't sound like you should have algae issues. How were you cleaning the socks in between changes?

And as for other ideas - do you know what the TDS of your RO/DI is? Could it have crept up on you?