PDA

View Full Version : Have a "great" problem!!!

vaporlockv2
11/14/2010, 06:24 PM
Have an awesome problem. I have changed bulbs from a 20k to a 14k and all of a sudden my corals are exploding with growth. The problem is I have several frags that are encrusting all over the plug and starting to grow under the plug. What is the best way to get them to start to grow out and across instead or around then down under the plug. They are on a frag rack right now and don't really have a permanent place for them on rock yet, and besides that it would require me to break the coral off and i don't want to do that. Any suggestions??

Alysiak00
11/14/2010, 06:30 PM
there really is no other alternative. some corals just encrust and then TAKE OFF

vaporlockv2
11/14/2010, 06:34 PM
The encrusting isn't the problem it's the growing down the sides then underneath the plug. Should I put some plugs under it or a flat surface for it to grow off the plugs instead of under??

Alysiak00
11/14/2010, 06:38 PM
o then if it were me, i'd cut the "post" off the plug and glue the plug to a rock, this will allow the coral to grow out a little and then up. what kinda coral is it by the way

sedor
11/14/2010, 06:42 PM
+1, if your not going to mount the plug there is nothing your going to be able to do to stop it from encrusting over the plug.

vaporlockv2
11/14/2010, 06:46 PM
Like I said the encrusting over isn't the problem just worried about the under, but I guess it knows how to grow itself. I have several that are doing it. I have a red planet, a rose milli, sunset monti, a frogskin acro, blue milli, green milli, an enchinata, and a Miami Orchid. Sure others will start to do it too, but these are the ones that have started it first.

aleonn
11/14/2010, 07:13 PM
What a great problem to have, I wish I had it too haha :)

Palting
11/14/2010, 07:35 PM
I don't get it. So, they are gowing over the plug, and you don't want them to grow under the plug, but you have them on a frag rack, and don't have a permanent place yet on a rock? So, what do you want them to do, grow over the frag rack?

vaporlockv2
11/14/2010, 07:57 PM
just worried that by them growing under the plug out of the light they will start to die is all

Palting
11/14/2010, 08:00 PM
Oh, got it. They should be oK. If the light is not good under the plug, it won't grow there but just grow out. Another way to put it, if it grows, then the light and everything else is good down there for it, and won't die.

ludnix
11/14/2010, 09:32 PM
As long as you move them from time to time to keep them from attaching to the frag rack it's not an issue. If they are that well encrusted than it's probably time to turn them in for some store credit or sell to another reefer.

vaporlockv2
11/14/2010, 10:28 PM
Well they are actually my frags. I am working on getting rid of some rock that I am holding for a friend then I will have a permanent place to mount them

dublo8
11/15/2010, 12:51 AM
the best way to solve this "problem" is by shipping them to me. j/k find a spot for them and epoxy them down.

aleonn
11/15/2010, 01:25 PM
Just wondering, if you were to disturb the encrusted base of the plug and it somehow becomes bleached or necrotic, would it spread upwards to the rest of the frag? I imagine you have to take great care when epoxying/supergluing these guys to rock.