PDA

View Full Version : can my floor handle all this weight?

kdc527
11/14/2010, 07:54 PM
I was planning on putting a 120 gallon tank in my basement and refinishing the basement. With the economy the way it is I don't have enough money to do both. So to get the most enjoyment out of my tank I will need to put it on the first floor. My question is my home was built in the early 70's and has 2x6 floor joists on 16" centers. The way the rafters run the tank will only be sitting on one rafter. I have not done any calculations but I am figuring the tank will weigh in at around 1100 pounds will my floor support that kind of weight? If not are there any inexpensive ways to support the floor so I can put my dream tank where I will enjoy it most?

rennne39
11/14/2010, 07:59 PM
I have mine on the second floor of my house

RenoR1
11/14/2010, 08:27 PM
assuming you remember that this is just ADVICE and I am by no means an expert, and you should consult one FIRST...Here is my .02

You should be okay. My house is just as old and it supports it just fine. If you want added security, place the tank over a joice (sp?) Or, and the more secure way, would be to go under the house and add one or two more support pillars. They are very easy to install. Then you should be able to park a f-250 in your living room ( DONT DO THAT!!!)

muttley000
11/14/2010, 08:41 PM
A 2x6 joist is not very big for a floor joist. I would definitly get a couple of those screw up floor jacks. Get two 8 foot 2x6 and cut them in half. Fasten the 2 halves together and use them to span 3 floor joists a foot in from where each end of the tank sits. I hope this makes sense, I would not let one 2x6 bear the weight of the whole tank.

RenoR1
11/14/2010, 08:51 PM
Ya, I kinda agree with Muttley after thinking about it some more.

redfishblewfish
11/14/2010, 10:02 PM
I am no expert and am only offering opinions….calculating load force is not simply knowing that you have 2 x 6 joists. There are multiple factors that go into it. Again, not knowing any of these other factors, and knowing you are running the tank parallel to the joists (that are only 2 x 6), I would still want to add support below. The two easiest and least expensive ways to do this would be to (1) install two lolly columns below the tank; (2) build support walls out of 2 x 4 below the tank.

You might wish to talk to a structural engineer who would be able to calculate the load force and give you other options.

mike_cmu04
11/14/2010, 10:15 PM
I would try to put it somewhere else where it will run across more than one joist.

mrmore
11/14/2010, 10:20 PM
I was worried about the same thing with my 210. It is a peninsula, so one end agaist the wall where the joist is fasend... Plenty strong the other end I had to go under the house and build a cross support. So far so good.

sasharotty
11/14/2010, 10:29 PM
Agree with above poster.Go get a couple floor jacks from home depot.I think they special order from internet.They are around 30 bucks a piece.I used 2 for a 150 on my first floor never had an issue.Floor jack+2x6= WIN:dance:

Rockys_Pride
11/14/2010, 10:36 PM
I agree with the posts about the additional support under your floor. One question, could you finish the part where you're planning on putting the tank in the basement first? Then you could use caution and have the tank up while working on the rest of the basement.

john miller
11/15/2010, 08:07 AM
The real question is what is the span of the 2x6's from bearing point to bearing point. That will determine what load it will handle. You sure those aren't 2x8's?

jeff@zina.com
11/15/2010, 08:21 AM
My question is my home was built in the early 70's and has 2x6 floor joists on 16" centers.

It would be odd if you have 2x6 joists, but it's the span that determines the size needed so you could have a short span. And floor jacks are cheap.

Jeff

Thorin192
11/15/2010, 08:49 AM
Seeing as I just finished the calculations for my tank here is a little information that may help. There are many many factors to consider when trying to calculate the load that a floor can handle to name a few: the size of the joists, the number of joists that will be under the tank, the distance from the end of the joist till the point it is supporting the aquarium, the span of the joists, the moisture content, the static load in the room already, etc. That is a small list and there are many other things that need looked at. Also your estimate of 1100 pounds is probably off. Just the weight of 120 gallons is ~1000 pounds. That does not include the tank/stand/equipment and the fact that rock weighs more than the water it displaces in general so your live rock adds weight. And if you use a sump that is more water weight.......So all that said from your post you said the tank will be sitting on one floor joist. Without knowing anything else I would not put a 120 gallon tank on just one joist. My recommendation would be to add some addition support under the tank. I would not only add floor jacks. I would suggest some floor jacks and additional structure under the tank area as you never know the quality of that single joist your tank will be sitting on. Unfortunately wood is not man made so it's strength tends to vary. As to what you need to add, there are far to many factors for me to be able to give sound advise as every situation is unique. I hope this helps.

kdc527
11/15/2010, 05:00 PM
Thank's guys I am now thinking the joists may be 2x8's but to be on the safe side I am going to but some support columns up and position the tank so it carry's across 2 joist's and add support in the middle and ends of the tank maybe tough seeings my boiler sits directly under where the tank will be which leads to some intresting plumbing issues but that's another thread.

Angel*Fish
11/15/2010, 06:11 PM
I don't know anything about joists and boards but I was listening to the radio the other day and someone called one of those home improvement shows to ask about a 150g and those guys said without question any properly constructed house would be able to with stand putting an aquarium that size on the second floor.

I have my 100g upstairs and it's no problem at all.

kdc527
11/15/2010, 06:37 PM
Properly constructed is the real question seeing what builders do these days I trust no one. Better safe than sorry I say just taking some extra precautions.

cm11599ps
11/15/2010, 09:00 PM
I think making a blanket statement that it will be fine is not correct. There are way too many factors to consider.

1) Is the tank running parallel to the floor beams or perpendicular. If it's running parallel then it's resting on one, but perhaps two beams depending on placement considering about 24" width. If the tank weighs about 1,300 full then you are putting the load on one beam at 1,300 or 2 beams at 650 each. If you run the tank perpendicular then you would hit 3 beams. That 1,300 lb weight is being distributed across 3 beams and you're only at about 430 lbs per beam. Sounds much better then 1,300 on one. lol

2) An older house is probably stronger than a newer house because years ago a 2x4 was ACTUALLY 2x4. I don't know what the dimensions of a 2x4 are now but it's not 2x4.

3) I believe placing the tank closer to a load bearing wall is better as well.

4) Don't forget the added weight of yourself when cleaning the tank and any visitors looking at your tank. Additional weight.

For what it's worth I have had a 55 gallon freshwater tank sitting upstairs on one beam for 2 years now with no problems. I am currently beginning the process to convert to a reef tank and am adding a sump/fuge and 70 lbs of rock plus a sand bed. I'm sure I'm adding an additional 150-200 lbs.

I plan on emptying the tank this weekend and then put a 4x4 or something underneath on the ground floor for more support. Then put the tank back together to begin the cycling process. I have a tank much smaller than yours and am considering the additional support.

You might very well set the tank up on the one beam and have it with no problems for years. Then one day you come home from work and find your tank downstairs. It's not so much the weight of the tank, it's the weight of the tank over time too.