PDA

View Full Version : torch coral issue

rdmcgraw
11/15/2010, 08:24 PM
My torch coral head seems to be disconnecting from the base. Is there anything i can do to fix it or prevent further damage? Can i superglue it back in? Any idea why? Water params are fine...but I did have a pH drop about 2 weeks go.

RokleM
11/16/2010, 08:16 AM
When you say disconnecting, what do you mean? Poly bailout (the act of the fleshy part of a LPS "releasing" from the stone base)? If it's bailout, that's a last ditch attempt to survive and it means something is wrong in the tank or it's somehow severely stressed. If you're just saying you're having issues getting the skeleton "stalk" to stick into rock work and stay in place, yes epoxy or glue is fine (just keep it away from the flesh).

rdmcgraw
11/16/2010, 09:43 AM
No, am talking about the first option, bailout. I had moved it too close to a powerhead which i think may have really exacerbated the issue. I have 3 other frogspawn colonies in the tank, which have no issues.

Its about 75% disconnected.... so now it sort of flops around in the flow. I have no idea if it will fix itsself or not. I just did a water change over the weekend and removed all the fish from that tank, so maybe that will help. I suppose i could move it from the 30 gallon to the 140 if you think that might help.

I read somewhere that magnesium might help, so i dosed some essential elements in there. Ill go get a magnesium test kit this weekend...

RokleM
11/16/2010, 11:29 AM
Sounds like you're on the right track. I will keep it in lower flow as you mentioned, hoping it doesn't fully release. Would you happen to have a picture? I wouldn't have necessarily removed the fish, unless that was for another reason. I wouldn't worry too much about dosing until you check the parameters. I'm one of at least a few that thinks mag should be kept on the higher side in a LPS tank.

Ohiomom
11/16/2010, 03:56 PM
Also do NOT remove the skeleton for awhile..you would be extrememly surprised to see what they can come back from. I had a piece that I could see absolutly no tissue on any of the heads and it did make a slow but deliberate come back. In other words you just never know it could even be a month or so down the road.

rdmcgraw
11/16/2010, 07:45 PM
Yeah removing the fish was just because i was holding them here while the 140 was fallow... had half my fish in a QT tank and half here. The others graduated back to the main DT, and these got moved to the QT. Which, that might have been part of my problems....Ive removed the rock and stirred up the substrate every 4 weeks for 2 months in this tank. Ill see if i can get a good picture.

manissen10
11/17/2010, 09:18 PM
Not sure if this is what he means. But I noticed my torch was lifting up on one side the other day. You can notice in the picture that it is white wear the coral used to be covering.
http://i1031.photobucket.com/albums/y371/bhawks1322/torch1.png

manissen10
11/17/2010, 09:19 PM
where***

rdmcgraw
11/17/2010, 11:15 PM
thats it, but mine is worse that that. Ive been trying to get my wife to bring the camera home from work for three days.

RokleM
11/18/2010, 09:12 AM
Not sure if this is what he means. But I noticed my torch was lifting up on one side the other day. You can notice in the picture that it is white wear the coral used to be covering.
http://i1031.photobucket.com/albums/y371/bhawks1322/torch1.png

Small amounts are somewhat natural. As the coral grows, the skeleton underneath actually grows up and out like a tree. What IS of concern is if it's somewhat rapid or the "white" (newly receded area) is getting too close to the polyp.