PDA

View Full Version : does anyone use a calcium reactor??

fragboy94
11/16/2010, 10:59 PM
ive been thinking about getting one. looking for some input on them.

keto
11/16/2010, 11:17 PM
love mine..

fragboy94
11/17/2010, 12:17 AM
how do they work exactly and is it easy to set up

keto
11/17/2010, 07:00 AM
just get you cal and alk levels where you want them then start the cal reactor and get it to just maintain those levels by ajusting you drip rate , it takes a lil bit to get it dialed in but after its a snap I hardly ever check my cal and alk anymore ... I will say mines a lil easier becouse of the regulator I use and a controller , I would highly recomend the set up I have for ease of use ..

AquariumPlants electronic regulator ..

fragboy94
11/17/2010, 07:41 AM
Hmm ok how often do u have to can ge out the coral media

keto
11/17/2010, 09:25 AM
ive had mine running for about six months on the same media , cost 20 bucks maybe twice a year tops ...

fragboy94
11/17/2010, 12:25 PM
Hmm sounds cheaper and more efficient in the long run .
Than using liquid calc

cioutlaw
11/17/2010, 01:46 PM
Also have to have the Co2 refilled mine would last at least a year & wasnt too costly. Only problem I ever had was the drip valve would plug up every few weeks, easy fix but annoying.

jtrasap
11/17/2010, 03:21 PM
I think my calcium reactor has been one of the best investments that I've made on my tank.

fragboy94
11/17/2010, 03:23 PM
plugged up from what??

cioutlaw
11/17/2010, 03:29 PM
plugged up from what??

I would guess calcium, the valve is only 1/4" & you have to have it pinched down so there is only a drip so it would get plugged easy.

fragboy94
11/17/2010, 03:42 PM
ahhh ok hmm

keto
11/17/2010, 04:25 PM
Same thing happens to mine , I give it a vinager dip one time a week when I do maintance ..

on the co2 I got a 20 pound cylinder hope to see it go 2 years

logan 12
11/17/2010, 07:33 PM
I would just use two-part, I have heard of a few people having problems with their calcium reactor. It is just easier less technology. Plus shouldn’t you be buying an RODI unit first? :)

fragboy94
11/17/2010, 07:41 PM
i ordered one last night:fun2::fun2::D:D

logan 12
11/17/2010, 08:36 PM
thank gosh..... :)

Sloeber
11/17/2010, 11:25 PM
I've used 2 calcium reactors and will never consider a 3rd. What a pain in my azz.

A much easier and less maintenance way to accomplish this is with a Nilsen Reactor. Before you spend one penny on a unit id suggest you come see my Nilsen Reactor setup. Then go view a working calcium reactor. The choice for you will be obvious.

ahenson
11/18/2010, 12:48 AM
I've used 2 calcium reactors and will never consider a 3rd. What a pain in my azz.

A much easier and less maintenance way to accomplish this is with a Nilsen Reactor. Before you spend one penny on a unit id suggest you come see my Nilsen Reactor setup. Then go view a working calcium reactor. The choice for you will be obvious.

Ya I agree

fragboy94
11/18/2010, 01:09 AM
Soo when r u free henry????
And Im not droppin a penny for a bit till I explore all options.

Sloeber
11/18/2010, 10:25 AM
Easiest for me is next Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday evenings.

Things to consider when considering one over the other:

Calcium Reactor accomplishes
~ Buffers alkalinity
~ Adds calcium

Nilsen Reactor accomplishes
~ Buffers alkalinity
~ Adds calcium
~ Maintains stable specific gravity
~ Replaces evaporated water
~ assists protien skimmer in removal of dissolved organic compounds and phosphate

Calcium Reactor maintenance
~ clean drip valve with vinegar
~ monitor drop rate (varies as drip valve clogs)
~ dump/replace media
~ soak pump impeller in vinegar
~ flush media filter
~ maintain/refill CO2 canister (small ones need filling bi-monthly or large ones are bulky and heavy)

Nilsen Reactor maintenance
~ dump/replace media

Other points to consider
~ calcium reactor lowers your aquarium pH by dumping a constant low pH solution packed with CO2 into it.
~ nilsen reactor stablizes your pH by buffering your water with a high alk and no excess CO2
~ calcium reactor has 2 pressure inputs (co2/aquarium water) and 1 restricted output which must be maintained in balance. remember the dripper clogs as unit does its job.
~ nilsen reactor has 1 non-pressure input and 1 non-pressure output which self-maintain balance. There is no drip-flow restrictor and thus there is nothing to clog.

That's a real brief overview. We can discuss it more indepth when you visit.

logan 12
11/18/2010, 10:54 AM

++++ Agree.

Although I have never owned a calcium reactor, seeing Henry's setup and how maintance free it is I would be on board for the Nilsen reactor. Like I said I use two part but do not own a large system, It is around 90 gallons or so that I feed each week. Unlike henry's 300 gallon. Which if you plan on setting up a large tank two-part is just out of the question do to cost. Nilsen reactor seems to be where it is at.

jtrasap
11/18/2010, 02:12 PM
These are two local southern Illinois tanks that drove me to get a calcium reactor.

Here are some pics of Kraash's 525g (96"x36"x36") tank
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p175/ramtheory/kraash/kraash041010_01.jpg

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p175/ramtheory/kraash/kraash_tank_37.jpg

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p175/ramtheory/kraash/kraash_tank_165.jpg

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p175/ramtheory/kraash/kraash041010_06.jpg

And this is Tater11's 220g tank.
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg311/tater1270/011-6.jpg

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg311/tater1270/012-6.jpg

A calcium reactor works by dissolving aragonite which not only helps with calcium and Alk levels, but also helps with mag levels among others.

A Nielson reactor is just a fancy way of dosing kalk. I was actually thinking about adding a kalk stirer(Nielson reactor) to my system to counteract a PH drop brought on by my calcium reactor but have since remedied that problem by dripping the effluent directly into my refugium allowing the cheato to burn off the extra co2.

The only maintenance that I've had involving my calcium reactor is refilling the co2 tank and refilling the media.

My ten pound co2 tank will last me about six months and my 20lb tank will last about a year.

If you get the aquarium plants regulator it's pretty set it and forget it. No fussing with drip rate.

And on top of that, I've never had an issue with clogged lines yet (knock on wood).

Sloeber
11/18/2010, 02:19 PM
Jason,

If you've never cleaned calcium build-up off the recirculating pump nor experienced a clog line I'd wager your reactor isn't working anywhere near capacity. Those are two maintenance items that are entirely unavoidable as a by-product of a calcium reactor.

jtrasap
11/18/2010, 02:29 PM
It's keeping up with my tanks needs right now. No clogged lines....yet...like I said "knock on wood" and I haven't had to do any maintenance to the recirc pump yet either although cleaning it once every 6 months probably wouldn't be a bad idea and no big pain for the gain.

I used to dose kalc but I was getting to the point that topoff with kalc wasn't quite enough.

Sloeber
11/18/2010, 02:37 PM
Couple questions...

How long has the calcium reactor been running?
What is the pH, alk, and calc levels of the effluent?
How did you determine your Nilsen wasn't 'keeping up?'
Which Nilsen were you using?
How was the Nilsen incorporated into your system?
What size aquarium?

And yes, I consider cleaning a pump every 6 months a huge pain in my rear. Consider the pump for my Nilsen has been running since daily 1991 and has yet to receive a single maintenance cleaning.

jtrasap
11/18/2010, 02:44 PM
The effluent ph as the reactor is set now stays right around 6.7. My calc and alc are stable at 520 and 13. The reactor has only been running for about 6 months so far. I never ran a kalk stirrer to dose kalk and dripped deppendent on my topoff which tends to be the limiting factor with a kalk dependant system.

My entire system sump and all is about 370g give or take.

jtrasap
11/18/2010, 02:45 PM
Oooops....double post, sorry..

Sloeber
11/18/2010, 03:10 PM
Ok, this makes a little more sense.

You say you've never have used a Nilsen Reactor. Call it "just another way to dose kalk" if you'd like, but its just not that simple. Here, let's make an anology...

My deep sandbed has anoxic zones where the pH lowers well beyond the point required to dissolve calcium reactor media (and in fact does dissolve sand over time). Does this mean your calcium reactor is just another form of my deep sandbed? Can't I just fill my tank with 12" of sand and skip the whole calcium reactor stuff? No. Although both may theoretically accomplish the same thing, they both go about it in a drastically different manner with drastically different results.

And so is dripping kalk vs using a Nilsen Reactor.

Second, you are new to your calcium reactor. Although I'm sure you are telling the truth, I don't think it's fair to come here and say you don't have problems or maintenance issues with your reactor when you have only had it running 6 months.

Also, do you know if the aquariums you linked photos of also run a Nilsen Reactor by chance? Most large systems run both the Nilsen and the calcium reactors. It is fact that the use of a Nilsen in conjunction with a calcium reactor is best. They work off each other and essentially allow you to push each reactor to it's limits. You can dose a calcium reactor extra hard when also dosing kalk because the high pH of the kalk water offsets the low pH from the calc (in laymans terms). If you put away your kalk dosing kit because your new calcium reactor you may want to rethink that decision. Plus the added benefit of helping remove po4 and such, it's just good business dosing kalk regardless.

Sloeber
11/18/2010, 03:17 PM
I want to make clear that I'm not saying calcium reactors are bad. What I'm saying is I'm too damn lazy to operate one myself.

Nilsen Reactors accomplish virtually the same thing as a calcium reactor, but a heck of a lot more (water top off, po4 removal, stable SG, etc.).

For someone new in the hobby it just makes sense to start with the Nilsen and kill 2 stones at once (you'll need a top-off system of some sort). Then, after that's rolling along, if it can't keep up (rare), or you just get gadget happy, add the calcium reactor as a booster.

fragboy, gimme a text come Sunday and we'll get you in to look at my Nilsen. Hopefully someone local can invite you over to check out their calcium reactor.

jtrasap
11/18/2010, 03:41 PM
Actually I mentioned that I had been contemplating adding a Kalk reactor to my system in order to counteract the drop in ph caused by my calcium reactor but ended up not needing to. I avoided it by routing my effluent drip to my refugium where the excess co2 is then taken up by the macro.

As far as the two tanks using a kalk reactor; don't quote me on it, but I don't think Kraash does and I'm sure Tater doesn't. The main reason to use a kalk reactor in conjunction with a calcium reactor is to counteract the PH drop produced by the calcium reactor.

A kalk reactor is co-dependent on evaporation and your systems uptake of calcium, etc, etc due to the reactor being dependent on top-off.

Kalk is going to be the same whether mixed in a stirrer or a gallon jug and neither are going to have an affect on how much top-off your system needs. A calcium reactor is not limited by these factors.

Not saying that a kalk reactor is a bad thing, they obviously work great...up to a point.

fragboy94
11/18/2010, 03:43 PM
Ok ill see u sunday

Sloeber
11/18/2010, 03:52 PM
Yes, dosing kalk is co-dependant on evaporation, but I don't see how that limits anything. Most systems evaporate 1% of their total volume per day with little influence, and can easily be encouraged to do more (2-3%) if needed. In fact most people do simply for cooling purposes of lighting or aquarium water.

Kalk is not the same mixed in a stirrer or dripped. Nilsen Reactors are capable of delivering super-saturated kalk to your system. A drip system cannot do that. Furthermore, if my kalk addition is limited by the amount of calcium uptake in my system as you said it is, that infers that my Nilsen Reactor is dosing at the level my system needs.

You are correct a calcium reactor isn't limited by evaporation. It is, however, limited by the amount of co2 your system can safely handle.

keto
11/18/2010, 03:56 PM
Wow good stuff guys .. lots of info here ...

jtrasap
11/18/2010, 04:49 PM
Whether it's in a reactor or a jug the water can only hold x ammount in solution and the rest will settle. A kalk reactor just makes the kalk for you, the make-up of the kalk is no different.

You can only dose an amount of kalk that's equal to the evaporation of the system water. So, you are limited to a given amount of kalk that you can put into the system. If the system is heavy in SPS, LPS, Clams, etc, it can take more out than is replaced by the kalk top-off.

There's usually not an issue with excess co2 in the system with a calcium reactor. If there is enough of a drop in system PH to cause a concern, you can usually fix it by running your effluent line near your skimmer intake and let the skimmer take care of the co2, you can do as I've done and run it into a refugium where it can be taken up by plants, or, as we've already mentioned, use a kalk reactor in conjunction with the calcium reactor in order to keep the PH in a happy place...:)

logan 12
11/18/2010, 07:29 PM
Wow first of all good points both Jason and Henry. By the way jason that tank is outstanding that you posted pictures of, it looks like a must see.

Question about the calcium reactor, jason what brand do you run? And how big does a refugium have to be to take up the CO2 production, I guess a calcium reactor drips fairly slowly not sure, have never seen one in action working properly.

jtrasap
11/18/2010, 07:51 PM
Both of them are crazy full of SPS. The pics of Kraash's tank are over a year old so I can only imagine that it's grown in quite a bit since then. Tater is in the process of upgrading from the 220 in the pics to a 380g tank.

I'm running an MRC calcium reactor that I got a really good used deal on. If I had the money I would have purchased a GEO but I couldn't pass up the deal I got on this one. It's the equivalent of a geo 618 with a 6" chamber, 18" tall.

I really didn't have much of an issue with co2. It dropped my PH a bit but not to a level that would have had any negative affect on anything. My refugium is a 40g cube but you could just as easily run the reactor output near a skimmer and that should take care of any co2/PH issues.

syrinx
11/18/2010, 10:36 PM
On sps dominated tanks I don`t mind calc reactors- on anything else they are not worth the trouble-and can be problematic.

Sloeber
11/19/2010, 01:00 PM
Whether it's in a reactor or a jug the water can only hold x ammount in solution and the rest will settle. A kalk reactor just makes the kalk for you, the make-up of the kalk is no different.

That is simply not true. By definition supersaturation: a solution that contains more of the dissolved material than could be dissolved by the solvent under normal circumstances. That is exactly what a Nilsen Reactor does. I don't understand why you continue to argue this point seeing as you lack any experience with a Nilsen and it's also well documented a Nilsen doses supersaturated kalk. Essentially the unit does what it was designed to do - dose a supersaturated fluid.

You can only dose an amount of kalk that's equal to the evaporation of the system water. So, you are limited to a given amount of kalk that you can put into the system. If the system is heavy in SPS, LPS, Clams, etc, it can take more out than is replaced by the kalk top-off.

Yes, we've covered the "amount equal to evaporation" already, and for the overwhelming majority of reefers this is simply not a problem. Aquariums like the photos you linked above I'd wager are in the 1% of reef aquariums - and hence why we marvel them so much. For the other 99% of us...

on anything else they are not worth the trouble-and can be problematic.

Sloeber
11/19/2010, 01:04 PM
I'm running an MRC calcium reactor that I got a really good used deal on. If I had the money I would have purchased a GEO but I couldn't pass up the deal I got on this one. It's the equivalent of a geo 618 with a 6" chamber, 18" tall.

You mean the unit on the right?

http://www.thelifeof.saltyendeavors.com/images/aquarium/finished/slides/image002.JPG

Yeah, that was the 2nd calcium reactor I owned. First was the original Knop some 12 or 14 years ago. That cheap piece of cr@p cost me more than the high end ones of today! LOL. Then my second, the Geo 618 you wanted. I unloaded that sucker at a highly discounted price :p

jtrasap
11/19/2010, 02:22 PM
That is simply not true.

It is 100% true.

The only two things changed by using a kalk (Nilson) reactor over a gallon jug are the container and the fact that the reactor has a stirrer, neither of which will have any affect on a solvents (in this case water) solubility. Neither temperature, nor pressure are changed to any influential extent in a reactor as apposed to a jug. Without changing either of these two factors, the waters solubility will be no different, therefor the concentration of the solution is going to be no different...:thumbsup:

There are quite a few reefers whom have hit the limit of kalks ability to keep up with their reefs' needs. If you plan on growing alot of SPS, better go with a calcium reactor.

Sloeber
11/19/2010, 02:35 PM
The only two things changed by using a kalk (Nilson) reactor over a gallon jug are the container and the fact that the reactor has a stirrer,

Wrong.

neither of which will have any affect on a solvents (in this case water) solubility. Neither temperature, nor pressure are changed to any influential extent in a reactor as apposed to a jug.

Technically that is true, but that's isn't what we are discussing anyway and only confusing the point (and you?).

Without changing either of these two factors, the waters solubility will be no different, therefor the concentration of the solution is going to be no different...:thumbsup:

Wrong. The key ingredient you are missing is a Nilsen Reactor is a sealed chamber whereas the kalkwasser does not come in contact with the atmosphere (specifically co2). In a simple drip doser the kalkwasser reacts with the adundant co2 and precipitates out of solution. For someone that used a drip doser like yourself this translates into "my water can't hold any more kalkwasser and dripping kalk into my tank isn't enough to keep up with my needs" - namely because most of it precipitated out of solution due to your mechinism of delivery. In a sealed chamber, a Nilsen Reactor, no precipitaiton occurs, and the hobbyist doses supersaturated kalkwasser.

:beer: :thumbsup:

Sloeber
11/19/2010, 02:46 PM
Another analogy-

Saying changing from an open top jug to a sealed container for kalk is akin to canning vegetables in a non-ziplock plastic bag versus a mason canning jar. There both containers- naturally they must do the same thing. Uh, no.

ahenson
11/19/2010, 02:56 PM
http://www.reefs.org/library/article/n_will.html
Henry is spot on.

Sloeber
11/19/2010, 03:02 PM
Something that link touches on, which I have purposefully avoided, is the danger (nuke bomb!) Potentially of adding co2 to your system. If Murphy visits, you pay a huge price more often than not.

Thanks for the link Andy!

jtrasap
11/19/2010, 03:50 PM
When dosing small amounts, such a couple gallons over the course of a day co2 will have very little affect on kalk. Even when dosing large amounts over extended periods of time it has little affect on the quality of the kalk as has been demonstrated by the numerous people on these forums including Randy Holmes Farley. In the hours that it takes to dose as much as is held in a kalk reactor the co2 that is kept out by the sealed chamber would make very little difference.

It's pretty simple, low to medium SPS and lots of evaporation, a Kalk reactor will be fine, heavy SPS regardless of evaporation, you will need a calcium reactor or even both.

There are plenty of people on these forums that have outgrown the limited ability of kalk dosing whether it be dripped or from a reactor but a calcium reactor can be made to handle even the most demanding reef tank.

ahenson
11/19/2010, 04:14 PM
You can just add kalk as a slurry as well, as Anthony Calfo describes. Just be careful not to raise ph too high. That overcomes any of the limiting factors you mention. There are many ways to do this, really personal prefereence.

Sloeber
11/19/2010, 04:26 PM
In the hours that it takes to dose as much as is held in a kalk reactor the co2 that is kept out by the sealed chamber would make very little difference.

I open my Nilsen 4 times per year. Has RHF shown how much kalk would precipitate out after 3 months? In my personal experience I can watch 3 months worth of kalk precipitate out in about 5 days. I wouldn't call that a "very little difference."

Sloeber
11/19/2010, 04:33 PM
It's pretty simple, low to medium SPS and normal evaporation, a Kalk reactor will be perfect, heavy SPS and normal evaporation, you would be wise to use both a a Nilsen and calcium reactor.

There, fixed it for you :thumbsup:

jtrasap
11/19/2010, 04:34 PM
I open my Nilsen 4 times per year. Has RHF shown how much kalk would precipitate out after 3 months? In my personal experience I can watch 3 months worth of kalk precipitate out in about 5 days. I wouldn't call that a "very little difference."

I'm sure you can....:hmm4:

Sloeber
11/19/2010, 04:35 PM
I'm sure you can....:hmm4:

What is it about that in which you doubt? What personal experience do you have that creates this doubt?

jtrasap
11/19/2010, 04:40 PM
There, fixed it for you :thumbsup:

There wasn't anything wrong with it to begin with.

jtrasap
11/19/2010, 04:47 PM
What is it about that in which you doubt? What personal experience do you have that creates this doubt?

Everyone has had experience with a blowhard know it all.

panaboy95
11/19/2010, 06:08 PM
good thread. there is more than one way to skin a cat. there are a hundred different ways to do everything with a reef tank. i use kalk myself but not in a reactor just mixing it up in my top off tank. not real efficient but suits my needs for now.

now jason, Kraashes CA reactor is only like two years old he used to only use kalk for his calcium supplements and he is running around a little less than 700 gallon of water.

jtrasap
11/19/2010, 06:20 PM
now jason, Kraashes CA reactor is only like two years old he used to only use kalk for his calcium supplements and he is running around a little less than 700 gallon of water.

Yeah I know and from what I understand his growth has taken off quite a bit since adding it. I think he mentioned in a thread the other day that some of his corals are growing out of the water?

I had a pretty good spike in growth after adding mine but had a big setback when a heater killed half my corals while we were out of town a couple months back.

panaboy95
11/19/2010, 06:30 PM
he was adding his kalk the same way i add mine no reactor just a power head in the top off tank to stir the kalk. the growth has taken off since adding the reactor.

Sloeber
11/20/2010, 12:28 AM

This is the thanks I receive for using your ignorance on Nilsen Reactors to educate the masses? I mean, really, read through this thread and all the thanks its received. It wouldn't have been possible without you!

jtrasap
11/20/2010, 08:33 AM
This is the thanks I receive for using your ignorance on Nilsen Reactors to educate the masses? I mean, really, read through this thread and all the thanks its received. It wouldn't have been possible without you!

Yes....a gold star to Sloeber for for his witty sarchasm..:celeb3:

And it still breaks down to the bread and butter that if you want to grow a bunch of SPS, a Calcium reactor or the combination of a calcium reactor and dosing kalk will serve you much better than just dosing kalk in any manner whether from a bucket, barrel, jug,....or a reactor.

syrinx
11/20/2010, 12:59 PM

And now we have experience with a blowhard read it all as well!

jtrasap
11/20/2010, 01:22 PM
Bad experience with reading??

syrinx
11/20/2010, 01:26 PM
Was frightend by a book at a early age. Prob shouldn`t have picked on you- everyone is a little cocky when they are starting out and think they have the handle on things.

jtrasap
11/20/2010, 02:26 PM
Was frightend by a book at a early age. Prob shouldn`t have picked on you- everyone is a little cocky when they are starting out and think they have the handle on things.

who said I was "just starting out"??

It seems to be fairly common for Blowhard sloeber to turn into a sarcastic know it all and sling threads into rants. If I seem "cocky" it's because I'm not going to sit around and watch while he makes his snide little sarcastic comments. He does it pretty regularly and it's not called for. I guess maybe I should just ignore him and not stoop to his level.

Sloeber
11/20/2010, 02:47 PM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1921681

When I'm wrong, I readily admit it and ask for help, than thank for the help.

When I know you are wrong, I will tell you that you are wrong, until you prove to me you are not wrong. You were unable to do so, so I will keep assisting you until you realize the errors of your way.

If blowhard = making sure you can't spread wrong information to hobbyists, color me a blowhard for life. I'd rather be a know-it-all blowhard than a ingnorant person unable to admit when I'm wrong.

Respond as you wish, but really, this is over.

/thread

keto
11/20/2010, 03:00 PM
its not the point of you trying to correct someone if they happen to be wrong its the way you go about trying to belittle people , there are much better ways of talking to people .. I do belive this is a big problem for you ..

jtrasap
11/20/2010, 03:21 PM
its not the point of you trying to correct someone if they happen to be wrong its the way you go about trying to belittle people , there are much better ways of talking to people .. I do belive this is a big problem for you ..

++++++1

Sloeber
11/20/2010, 03:26 PM
So I'm guilty of lacking the patience of Job when dealing with the ignorant. Tell me something I don't already know :p

At some point all of us reach our limits. For me, its when someone who readily admits zero experience has the nerve to tell me my 18 years experience using a Nilsen Reactor is wrong. Not to toot my own horn, but I worked directly with U of Kentucky and Kay Wilson in 1993 when she was designing, testing, and implementing the first versions of an American made Nilsen. The high-end models of today are direct results of our field research. So excuse me if I lack patience with someone that repeatedly tells me I'm wrong when they themselves have never owned a unit.

syrinx
11/20/2010, 03:57 PM
who said I was "just starting out"??

It seems to be fairly common for Blowhard sloeber to turn into a sarcastic know it all and sling threads into rants. If I seem "cocky" it's because I'm not going to sit around and watch while he makes his snide little sarcastic comments. He does it pretty regularly and it's not called for. I guess maybe I should just ignore him and not stoop to his level.

Sorry-I thought you had only been in reefing for a couple three years. There is no question that slober can be jerky from time to time- but he admits, and embraces it.

jtrasap
11/20/2010, 03:57 PM
So I'm guilty of lacking the patience of Job when dealing with the ignorant. Tell me something I don't already know :p

At some point all of us reach our limits. For me, its when someone who readily admits zero experience has the nerve to tell me my 18 years experience using a Nilsen Reactor is wrong. Not to toot my own horn, but I worked directly with U of Kentucky and Kay Wilson in 1993 when she was designing, testing, and implementing the first versions of an American made Nilsen. The high-end models of today are direct results of our field research. So excuse me if I lack patience with someone that repeatedly tells me I'm wrong when they themselves have never owned a unit.

You don't have to go too far to find plenty of people whom have outgrown dosing kalk and upgraded to a calcium reactor.

jtrasap
11/20/2010, 04:11 PM
Sorry-I thought you had only been in reefing for a couple three years. There is no question that slober can be jerky from time to time- but he admits, and embraces it.

Three years is about right, and I'm doing quite a bit better than many whom have been in the hobby much longer. More experience doesn't always mean more knowledge, or a better opinion, which is what this is all about. You get out of it what you put into it. I rubbed him the wrong way regarding his beloved kalk/Nielson/Nilson reactor and now he's on a high horse. It still doesn't change the fact that a kalk reactor can't keep up with a calcium reactor....:lol2:

syrinx
11/20/2010, 04:29 PM
Experience will allow one to know that there is no definitive answer for all systems. And yes, you are wrong about calcium reactors always doing a better job- they often create more problems in the end. You just need to toughen up a little and learn from everyone- you can`t always try to be "right" in a hobby/profession that deals with as many variables as this one has.

keto
11/20/2010, 05:12 PM
I guess we are all just ignorant now too ..... all bow down to the all mighty !!!!

you know the fact of the matter is we are all good at diffferent things, thats not mean you have to talk down to us and call people ignorant, no one poked fun of you when you fell off your bike I mean does that make you ignorant couse you cant ride a bike ?

jtrasap
11/20/2010, 05:49 PM
Experience will allow one to know that there is no definitive answer for all systems. And yes, you are wrong about calcium reactors always doing a better job- they often create more problems in the end. You just need to toughen up a little and learn from everyone- you can`t always try to be "right" in a hobby/profession that deals with as many variables as this one has.

Please don't put words in my mouth. I never once said that "calcium reactors always do a better job". I simply stated the fact that a calcium reactor is not limited by the factors which limit kalk dosing in any form. Can they give you trouble? Yes, just as any other machine can. My experience, though short (6 months), has been very positive. The two people I mentioned have had very positive experiences with theirs and we have all seen huge gains in growth.

BrianD
11/20/2010, 08:58 PM
I only see two people throwing out personal insults on this thread, and Henry isn't one of them. I strongly recommend the attacks stop.

jtrasap
11/20/2010, 09:11 PM
I only see two people throwing out personal insults on this thread, and Henry isn't one of them. I strongly recommend the attacks stop.

I'm sorry Brian but Henry called me Ignorant, that is a personal attack. Yes, I did stoop a bit low, but he has a fairly regular tendency to rub people the wrong way and did so to me.

Again, sorry...

logan 12
11/20/2010, 11:32 PM
I guess we are all just ignorant now too ..... all bow down to the all mighty !!!!

you know the fact of the matter is we are all good at diffferent things, thats not mean you have to talk down to us and call people ignorant, no one poked fun of you when you fell off your bike I mean does that make you ignorant couse you cant ride a bike ?

Keto, the last part of this is just mean. I think you should apologise for that one.

keto
11/20/2010, 11:45 PM
ok maybe thats a bit harsh but people dont like being called ignorant either, Im done time to use the ignore on this guy , alot of his ways are "mean" too as you call it also but now one wants to call him on it or says its just his way and thats ok ... henry your a smart guy in this field do doubt about that no one wants to steal your thunder but be a lil open minded there are more ways then one to do something not just yours and maybe you should take into consideration that not everyone is on your level here that does not make us stupid..

PurdueMAN_08
11/21/2010, 01:18 AM
Lol, you two dudes are pretty funny. When somebody comes into this thread and reads 3 pages not because of good info (which there was) but for the unfolding drama that awaits then you know you have comedy...

fragboy94
11/21/2010, 02:09 AM
I think I need to stop posting threads. Henry did u get my txt

Sloeber
11/21/2010, 12:09 PM
ig·no·rant

–adjective
1. lacking in knowledge or training; unlearned: an ignorant man.
2. lacking knowledge or information as to a particular subject or fact: ignorant of quantum physics.
3. uninformed; unaware.
4. due to or showing lack of knowledge or training: an ignorant statement.

If you think that is an insult, then I don't know what to say. Everyone in this entire world over is ignorant on some things, if not most things, myself included.

No, crashing my bike does not make me any more ignorant to riding a bike than it does Lance Armstrong.

jtrasap
11/21/2010, 12:55 PM
ig·no·rant

–adjective
1. lacking in knowledge or training; unlearned: an ignorant man.
2. lacking knowledge or information as to a particular subject or fact: ignorant of quantum physics.
3. uninformed; unaware.
4. due to or showing lack of knowledge or training: an ignorant statement.

If you think that is an insult, then I don't know what to say. Everyone in this entire world over is ignorant on some things, if not most things, myself included.

No, crashing my bike does not make me any more ignorant to riding a bike than it does Lance Armstrong.

In the context that you put it, it was very obviously meant to be an insult and a personal attack as is the post that I just quoted.

fragboy94
11/21/2010, 03:09 PM
Ok guys how about we drop the ignorant stuff and get back to the info u thread jackers=)=)

Sloeber
11/21/2010, 04:10 PM
I appreciate that you may derive my words to a different context than they were meant, but to tell me how I intended my words to be read would be, well... ignorant.

fastrc
11/21/2010, 04:25 PM
I think you should take a milk jug put a pinhole in it, and hang over your tank with a piece of dental floss and wait to see if it drips enough!! lmao
Or if all else fails go to ebay and buy this 1 and get it over with:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350407499563&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Offer him $300.00 shipped!!

Sloeber
11/21/2010, 04:29 PM
Awesome. I think I paid a little more than that for that unit brand new some 15 years ago!

fastrc
11/21/2010, 08:29 PM
I thought it was a good price for a complete setup.