PDA

View Full Version : Those of you with a reefkeeper elite

crsaz
11/16/2010, 11:27 PM
I have decided to go with s controller on my new 375, it just makes sense, it would replace a ph controller for the reactor($100) an ato($100-150) a ranco for my chiller($100) It would replace like $300 worth of equipment not including misc timers and power strips.

But I have a few questions before I purchase, I will be running a ca reactor aswell as a kalk reactor. the ca reactor has a port for a probe, but I would also like an "emergency" probe that would be able to shut-off the ca reactor if the probe or solenoid were to malfunction or the kalk reactor if the ato were to malfunction. can the RKE do this?

And, does everythin need to go to one plug/outlet? i will need to plug my chiller into a seperate outlet/circuit since if all the equipment is running and someone is watching tv the breaker will blow when the chiller kicks on with its 8amp start up.

solitude127
11/16/2010, 11:57 PM
I
But I have a few questions before I purchase, I will be running a ca reactor aswell as a kalk reactor. the ca reactor has a port for a probe, but I would also like an "emergency" probe that would be able to shut-off the ca reactor if the probe or solenoid were to malfunction or the kalk reactor if the ato were to malfunction. can the RKE do this?

Yes. The way I programmed my dads is that I have the feed pump plugged into a slot on the PC4 and if the Ph get too low in the CA reactor, below 5.8, it turns off the feed pump the ca reactor.

Shard
11/17/2010, 12:00 AM
Yes it can, you just use multiple float switches/pH probes.

For example, a pH probe in the Calcium Reactor, and one in the Tank. That way if you the tank reading goes to far out of range, regardless of the Calcium reactor probe reading, it would shut off the outlet.

With the ATO, you would have one minimum level float switch, which would turn on when water is low, then a higher float switch that would keep the outlet off no matter what if tripped, so that would help avoid overflow.

The same ATO outlet could also be setup to not come on if the pH reading from the tank probe is to high.

You can use an expansion outlet to plug the chiller in on a different breaker if needed. I think DA still makes those, or you can simply get one from another source. It is basically a two outlet powerstrip that turns on and off when one of it's two powercords has power applied (one powercord goes to the outlet on the other breaker to supply power, the other to the controlled outlet to signal on/off).

Having used the RK2, RKE, RKL and Apex myself, have you considered the Apex?

Hope this helps,
Landon

crsaz
11/17/2010, 12:50 AM
since you have used both and have first hand experience, what do you like about the apex over the rke?

Shard
11/17/2010, 01:04 AM
since you have used both and have first hand experience, what do you like about the apex over the rke?

For starters with the Apex.....
(1) I can program it over the network
(2) I can backup my programming
(3) More extensive features and programming options
(4) It currently has a working Salinity probe option
(5) The firmware has had less bugs and problems
(6) Firmware can be updated without breaking down the whole setup
(6) Tunze control option
(7) Vortech control option
(8) possibility of adding a DO probe if needed
(9) the customer service is superb
(10) more switch inputs
(11) Iphone and Android Apps that allow control/programming

I could go on forever about the differences. In my experience, and most others if you read on RC here, the Apex blows the RKE out of the water.

That said, I do like the RKE, but the Apex is just a far superior product for around the same price.

If you have specific questions about questions I can address them, or if you just search the lighting and equipment sub-forum you will find many comparisons. Just from my personal observation I have probably talked to, or seen at least 20 users who had an RKE but dumped it to switch to the Apex. The inverse of this is that I have only seen one who switched the other way.

Hope this helps,
Landon

Midnightsun
03/03/2011, 04:52 PM
Add me to the list of those who dumped Reef Keeper for an Apex. :bigeyes:

Tortuga78
03/05/2011, 10:05 AM
Add me to the list of those who dumped Reef Keeper for an Apex. :bigeyes:

Same here. Got tired of being strung along.

Canoe1
03/05/2011, 10:40 AM
Yes. The way I programmed my dads is that I have the feed pump plugged into a slot on the PC4 and if the Ph get too low in the CA reactor, below 5.8, it turns off the feed pump the ca reactor.

Please do not program your reactor this way...shutting off your feed pump does not stop the CO2 from entering your reactor chamber....You'll want to shut off solenoid valve for the CO2 instead and 5.8 is way to low...Have your shut off at around 6.45 with a hysteris of .5

Sorry man but this advice has the potential of hurting your system ....I only use mine as a safety device and not a means to contol your reactor PH...the solenoid valve will turn off and on way too much that way....Get your bubble count and effluent rate set proper and control your reactor that way. If your reactor PH hits 5.8 it will be mush.

Regards,

andythorntonjr
03/05/2011, 04:25 PM
As someone considering a controller at some point in the near future, I have to ask the basic question: What all do YOU use your controller for? Beyond the basic pH probe monitoring, what other (frequent) modules/extras do most use?

Trying to get an idea of what all I would need to get to make a controller really useful (beyond just a pH monitor) so I can start planning cost. ;)

Shard
03/06/2011, 07:17 PM
Trying to get an idea of what all I would need to get to make a controller really useful (beyond just a pH monitor) so I can start planning cost. ;)

Well, the features are endless.

I use my Apex to:
1) control all my lights across 3 tanks and a sump for day/night timing.
2) turn on/off my heater.
3) turn on/off my chiller.
4) scale back the lighting if the water temp increases.
5) turn off the lights if the temperature goes up to much.
6) turn on/off my ATO based on float switches
7) control my AI LEDs by ramping up/down intensity
8) dose Kalkwasser when the pH drops at night
9) control the pH in a calcium reactor (soon to be setup finally)
10) email me if something goes wrong
11) text me if something goes wrong
12) if the power goes out, switch to battery backup, and turn off all nonessential components falling back to return pumps only. This way my system can run for hours during a power outage.
13) Log in remotely and change my setup/programming, or turn on/off a specific piece of hardware if needed.
14) know that my system is safe and 'insured' against failure while I am gone for a few days at the time.

I am going to stop here, but I could go on forever. There are so many features an Apex can do a list would take days. I would say a controller is a necessity these days.

Landon