PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving break

psuedopimp
11/17/2010, 10:13 AM
i will be away from my house for a week. this scares me since i only have enough top off for about 3-4 days.

i will rig up another top off container and test it tonight that should give me 6-8 days, however i would appreciate if someone could stop by maybe twice next week to check on it?

salary will be a frag or two if i have anything you like or want.

jmait769
11/17/2010, 10:39 AM
I will be in town and would be happy to help out.

Jay

puffin04
11/17/2010, 10:41 AM
When you leaving Justin? I am bailing to Oklahoma on Sunday i believe. :)

Steffen Sparks

psuedopimp
11/17/2010, 10:53 AM
i am leaving this friday evening. We are going to my inlaws ranch in Kansas!!

Jay thanks i will pm you with the location of the hide a key.

i am not expecting anything to go wrong, but you know how this stuff works out when you leave town.

i will have extra water ready to go. all that should be needed is to check the top off bucket and make sure there is water. oh and throw a pinch of fish food in.

Gomer
11/17/2010, 11:13 AM
Biggest piece of advice I could give: After you make changes before a vacation, let it run under those conditions while you are there. Be there incase anything fails. Being away when things fail...bad. Trust me ;)

(this was not an ecotech problem. It was somethign I did. The equipment was good. My overdabbling was the issue)
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b248/BeyondGomer/damage.jpg

psuedopimp
11/17/2010, 11:38 AM
that's reassuring.....

i should have the other top off set up tonight and let it run thurs and friday to work any bugs.

Jay you want to sleep over????

Gomer
11/17/2010, 11:51 AM
That is what happens when you do last minute ghetto fabulous changes to your ATO on the way out the door and forget to secure the line....which empted my kalk ato down the tank and onto the battery backup.

Last minute changes are bad :P Lesson learned. If I change ANYTHIGN, it is the week before. Only thing I do before the trip (a couple days before) it refill ATO and do water change.

I'm comfortable leaving now.

psuedopimp
11/17/2010, 12:05 PM
the prob with doing this too early is my wife does daycare in the house. this extra bucket has to be out of the cabinet and into the war zone. if i had water in there too early those monsters would have cookies and pb&j sandwiches in there before i know it.

hmm maybe a new reef food???

jmait769
11/17/2010, 01:52 PM
That is what happens when you do last minute ghetto fabulous changes to your ATO on the way out the door and forget to secure the line....which empted my kalk ato down the tank and onto the battery backup.

Last minute changes are bad :P Lesson learned. If I change ANYTHIGN, it is the week before. Only thing I do before the trip (a couple days before) it refill ATO and do water change.

I'm comfortable leaving now.Ouch!! Gomar, thanks for posting this as it has happened to the best of us and a good reminder as the holidays approach! Last month I hooked up my calcium reactor over the course of a few days and decided to implement it right before I went to bed. :hmm2: Big mistake! The regulator on the CO₂ decided to jam in the open position. To prevent this from nuking the tank, and showing off my bonehead decision, luck was on my side. The valve dripping the affluent into the sump jammed and I had set the bubble count low. I should have just turned it off when I went to be!

Jay you want to sleep over????As long as you have plenty of pizza and beer!! :beer:

Jay

deehz
11/17/2010, 01:56 PM
Hey Justin, i will be in town as well and can look after the tank on the days that Jay can't. Lmk.

I agree with Gomer, do everything now while you can before you leave. I came back home from a trip to phx and was surprised that the house did not burn down. I was messing around with the pump for my reactor and thought all was going to be ok. This ghetto rigging that I did to the pump was a day before we left. Needless to say the pump seized up and was shocked that the gfi or the breaker did not trip or lost any livestock!!!!!!!! The pump had melted, in the fuge!!!!!! When I leave, I make sure to do everything at least a week before we leave. Excellent advice from Gomer.

deehz
11/17/2010, 01:58 PM
Double post, grrr

Gomer
11/17/2010, 02:42 PM
oh, GFI's can trip with MH's. Make sure you have them on a separate circuit. I learned that one the hard way too. Fortunately, I was home.

deehz
11/17/2010, 02:59 PM
Yeah, MH's pull a ton of amps and will cause your gfi to trip. I have them plugged into a separate circuit of the house. While the rest of the equipment is plugged into a 15amp rated powerstrip with/a built in gfi.

The strange thing though is I tested to see if the gfi on the strip worked before I plugged the equip to it and worked every time. It was weird to see everrhing on. I even asked my neighbor if we had a power outage or an outage to the tank and he said no. Oh well. Lesson learned.

psuedopimp
11/18/2010, 01:30 PM
okay so everything is up and running. should be as simple as looking at the tank, feed a little food and check level of water in the bucket, drink a beer watch tv and leave.

please don't leave floaters in the toilet!!! that could get ugly after a week.

i will pm you guys location of key and security clearance info.

jmait769
11/18/2010, 09:47 PM
Justin - Let me know.

Jay

psuedopimp
11/27/2010, 08:34 AM
hey thanks for all the help. i got in about midnight last night and everything looked okay. top off worked great, and the urchins rearranged a couple of corals and created a couple of frags but nothing major.

this morning i can't find our one fish. i think it got a little cold. time to buy another heater. the sticky thermometer said 70 this morning. the heater i have keeps up when the ambient temp is 65 or above, but the house was 55 when we got home.

bummer

ahlebik
11/27/2010, 09:58 AM
Should have said something. I keep a few extra cheaper glass heaters around just in case.

psuedopimp
11/27/2010, 10:12 AM
well good news, the fish came out of hybernation!! so everything made it.

thanks to everyone that helped out!!

jmait769
11/27/2010, 10:59 AM
well good news, the fish came out of hybernation!! so everything made it.

thanks to everyone that helped out!!Hey good news! Glad all is well and you had safe travels!! Was the white dog there?

Jay

psuedopimp
11/27/2010, 11:11 AM
yeah. she is a rescue dog. extremely shy so if she doesn't know you she hides, but sometimes you can sneak up and catch her off guard and that is when she barks and scares you, but given the chance she will run and hide.

andy thanks for the offer, but i just need to get a good one and be done with it.

Gomer
11/27/2010, 11:24 AM
hey good news! Glad all is well and you had safe travels!!
+1 :)