PDA

View Full Version : Nitrate indicates when to stock?

ahud
11/17/2010, 03:37 PM
Hello,

Does nitrate levels indicate when you can add to your tank? I added my stock a full week ago and:

ammona-0
nitrite-0
Nitrate-0

Is it OK to add another fish/invert?

Floowid
11/17/2010, 05:25 PM
According to your sig, it has been running 9 days? Did you ever get an ammonia spike or nitrite spike? Did you start with fully cured live rock?

It all depends on if your tank has cycled. I would say have a little patience, watch your goby, continue to test for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate.

ahud
11/17/2010, 05:36 PM
I cycled my rock for about four weeks in a rubbermaid container, 40 pounds of dry rock and 10 pounds of live rock from LFS. Added pure ammonia to 2ppm and kept dosing small amounts of ammonia each week, waiting for ammona, nitrite, nitrate to reach 0.

bertoni
11/17/2010, 05:38 PM
Adding a reasonably easy-to-keep animal should be fine.

Floowid
11/17/2010, 05:39 PM
Ok so the tank is established. Then if that is the case, and you are testing 0 nitrates, then I would say you are ready for another inhabitant.

Indymann99
11/17/2010, 05:41 PM
+1 on the advice above.

If you used fully cured LR you may not see Am spike.

however I would test daily for the next 2 weeks.

Might want to have some fresh SW mixed and ready for waterchanges...

Also you need to seriously consider QT for the rest of your fish..

The ONLY things in the hobby that happen FAST..... are BAD.

ahud
11/17/2010, 05:47 PM
My next fish addition is going to be a tail spot blenny. My LFS QT's for two weeks, so I'm going to QT is for two weeks as well. The store has to order it so it will be a little while before I get it in.

My rock is completely cycled, I'm comfortable with my knowledge of the cycle and I tested often.

My tank is just starting to get diatoms, so I know the rest of the algae is coming next. I wanted to add some CUC this week, but I don't want to rush it.

bertoni
11/17/2010, 05:52 PM
The blenny should be fine, IMO, if this is the fish:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+23+2229&pcatid=2229

ahud
11/17/2010, 05:57 PM
Thats the little guy, going to name him Curtis lol.

aleonn
11/17/2010, 06:30 PM
I'd wait for the algae to come, then I'd add the CUC first. About a week later, I'd add the blenny. JMO though.

ahud
11/17/2010, 06:47 PM
So:

I'm in the diatom stage, so wait until it really kicks off and add some Cuc?

I went ahead and ordered the blenny, but like I said, LFS QT's for two weeks, and then I'll QT for two weeks.

Tuscaquatics
11/17/2010, 06:51 PM
Right now I'd spend my money on a capable CUC. You'll thank us later for saying it. I'm not saying you absolutely can't add a fish yet. But when the tank has just finished the nitrogen cycle like yours has, it's going to start going through kind of an algal cycle next. You're going to see a lot of nuisance algae growing and you'll want a CUC to start hacking away at it.

And go for a nice variety of inverts. Some nassarius snails, some turbos, some astreas, more hermits, etc. Try to get ones that eat different kinds of algae.

ahud
11/17/2010, 07:10 PM
I'm all game for setting up a good CUC. I was scared to get any since my tank has been sterile until lately with the diatoms. Since I went with mostly dry rock I don't have a lot of life.

I want to stay away from any snails I need to flip back over, I'm often gone over weekends so I can't dote on the tank.

I was told to stay away from hermits, I have three because they make me smile lol.

aleonn
11/17/2010, 08:02 PM
Nassarius and turban snails can flip themselves over. I stay away from all crabs as well, as I don't trust them in a reef setup. You can always get a few to begin with, and slowly add more to the tank as the algae becomes more prominent.

bertoni
11/18/2010, 07:04 PM
I liked Trochus and Stomatella snails, since they seem to be able to reproduce in our tanks. A cerith or two for variety might be useful, too.