PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Tang?

Mr. Fish
11/17/2010, 10:25 PM
My tank is a month old has been able to keep two clowns for two weeks with no ammonia/nitrite spikes, so I take it my tank is cycled? I did not use any LR, but I did use a bottle of bacteria to help boost the cycle like LR would have. You can see the tank specs in my signature. I will also be getting an eshopps PSK-100h protein skimmer and a BRS carbon/GFO reactor sometime next week.

I really want a yellow tang and would like to get one as soon as I can. I know it will at some point out grow my 55 gallon, but I have a 180 gallon tank that will be up next year for it to move into. Is my tank ready for the tang? Would the tang harass any other fish I add after it? My fish list for the tank is the 2 clowns I already have, a bangaii cardinal, a blue green chromis, a royal gramma, a yellow tang and maybe some type of gobby or blenny.

Misled
11/17/2010, 10:30 PM
I'd wait a couple more months. The tang will require quite a bit of food. Your tank really isn't "stable" yet. You may still get into a few algae issues.

James404
11/17/2010, 10:33 PM
More than likely you are going to catch some flack for wanting to keep a tang in a 55g. It's hard to say if your tank is established enough though. I would say it probably can handle the load of an additional fish if you have had the two clowns in there for 2 weeks with no problems.

Fretfreak13
11/17/2010, 10:34 PM
Also, the other fish you mentioned (Banggai and Chromis) are schooling fish. They'd probably be a lot less reclusive and stress-free with more of them in the tank. I'd say for those two, wait for the 180 and then add a few of each instead of just one.

Just my .02 =)

Mr. Fish
11/17/2010, 10:36 PM
If I was to add the tang as the next fish would it harass fish I add after?

Also, the other fish you mentioned (Banggai and Chromis) are schooling fish. They'd probably be a lot less reclusive and stress-free with more of them in the tank. I'd say for those two, wait for the 180 and then add a few of each instead of just one.

Just my .02 =)

I was told they are schooling fish when young, but kill each other as adults, especially the Bangaii.

jloschen
11/17/2010, 10:52 PM
i had a yeelow before and added other fish and it didnt seem to mind

Mr. Fish
11/18/2010, 12:23 AM
So can I get one right now, or do I need to wait? I'm going to the LFS tomorrow.

SwampyBill
11/18/2010, 01:23 AM
I'd wait awhile before adding anymore fish. & add the tang last. They can be quite territorial & harrass fish added after them. Slow down a bit & enjoy the clowns for now. Patience in this hobby is the key to longevity...

Toddrtrex
11/18/2010, 01:27 AM
Why not just wait until the 180 is set up?

cpl40475
11/18/2010, 01:30 AM
Only thing in this hobby you can do fast is learn to be pateint. As misled said you could still be waiting for an algae bloom or anything. 1 month is what i would say the bare minimum. Wait a while longer sit back and enjoy your tank as is.

aleonn
11/18/2010, 02:39 AM
Give it another 2-3 weeks at the minimum, and stay on top of water parameters. Also, there isn't room for the yellow tang unfortunately, as they love to swim.

billdogg
11/18/2010, 09:20 AM
I gotta side with Todd - why not just wait for the 180 to be up and running before adding a fish that you already know will be less than well adjusted in a 55? There are plenty of really cool fish you can easily keep in a 55. Don't get me wrong - I have, in the distant past, had several tangs in a 55 - but that was 20+ years ago and the knowledge base just was not there. Knowing then what I know now would have saved many a critter from an untimely death.

JM.02

Sk8r
11/18/2010, 10:28 AM
Also with Todd. A tang in a 55 with 2 clowns is asking for fights, stress, disease outbreaks from lowered resistence, and possibly redirected harassment of other species. When you keep a fish in an inappropriate tank, trouble can take a while to develop, but you are likely to start missing fish, as the dominant kills off his tankmates. A tang's barb can devastate another fish, quietly, and all it takes is a tail-flick. You don't know it's happened, but one of your fish fails to report for morning feeding, or has a red mark on its side.

Floowid
11/18/2010, 02:10 PM
Only thing in this hobby you can do fast is learn to be pateint. As misled said you could still be waiting for an algae bloom or anything. 1 month is what i would say the bare minimum. Wait a while longer sit back and enjoy your tank as is.

Cpl, I am totally stealing that first sentence as a quote for my sig - with your permission of course.

OP, take it easy, and enjoy what you have for a few more weeks. In answer to your other questions, Tangs can be territorial, but only generally to other tangs, and specifically with like body shapes (Zebrasomas for yellows). I have not had my yellow harass anybody I have added since adding him. Chromis and Cardinals do fine in groups until they don't. One day they begin fighting for dominance, until you have the toughest one left.

crvz
11/18/2010, 02:21 PM
I believe Todd is also quick to recommend buying fish for the tank you have, not the one you want. I'd highly encourage you to hold of on a surgeonfish for a 55 gallon tank. Take some time, get used to the hobby, ensure you've got a handle on where you want to go, and get a tang when you've got the space for it. All too often folks think they'll have that huge set up in the near future, but life or other factors slow down the upgrade. Trust me, keeping the tank simple will only bring more satisfaction than trying things that are 1) patently unlikely to succeed or 2) creating unnecessary chaos.

cpl40475
11/18/2010, 03:00 PM
steal it i dont mind. Just make sure you spell it right because I didnt lol.

Angel*Fish
11/18/2010, 03:08 PM
Agree with everybody above who said to have patience and hold off. I understand the need for a "fix". Do go to the LFS, but resoved not to get the tang. Treat yourself to a nice rock or a cleaner shrimp or something like that. Maybe another shroom? Or pick up a treat for the clowns like some frozen Cyclopeeze.

Even better head to Amazon and pick up a really good reef aquarium book. :D

Don't put yourself in the situation of wishing you'd heeded this really good advice while watching your fish suffer. It's not worth it :)

Mr. Fish
11/18/2010, 07:23 PM
I got a 1 inch royal gramma, hes being floated right now. I'll post pictures later.

Angel*Fish
11/18/2010, 07:29 PM
Excellent choice! They are beautiful - can't wait to see the pics! :D

eckel82
11/18/2010, 07:42 PM
Royal Gramma's one of my favorite fish

Mr. Fish
11/18/2010, 07:52 PM
I added him and he went right into on of my rocks and I haven't seen him after. How long would be normal for it to hide in the rock? Also should I keep my lights off or turn them back on?

eckel82
11/18/2010, 07:57 PM
I added him and he went right into on of my rocks and I haven't seen him after. How long would be normal for it to hide in the rock? Also should I keep my lights off or turn them back on?

He's just stressed from the move. Give him a week or two to really adjust. Dont worry he will be a visible tank inhabitant when he's comfortable.

cm11599ps
11/18/2010, 08:01 PM
My advice is don't get fish that you don't currently have room for. Sure, you could be planning on upgrading but what happens if something happens and that never materializes. Then you have a tang in an inappropriate tank. Stick with a stocking list that fits your current tank. If you ever do go larger, then and only then should you get the fish you want.

Angel*Fish
11/18/2010, 08:09 PM
Different opinions out there on this. What I would do is turn on the lights for about 30 minutes to give him time to find a hidey hole. Then actinics for 30 minutes and then lights out.

Some would say leave the lights out, but to me since they are wary at dusk, it might be better to give him a little daylight time to acclimate before lights out. That's just my personal opinion.

Brickyardgreg
11/18/2010, 08:30 PM
I think your off to a good start as far as listening to good advice and making the right choices. I'm also a big fan of the royal gramma great pick. Be sure to post a pic of the tank one the new fish is less shy. What kind of lighting are you running? Any plans for coral? Keep taking it nice and slow this will insure your sucess and keep you turned on to the hobby.

Misled
11/18/2010, 08:31 PM
I agree with Marie. Now for some other info. You notice the stress the gramma is going through right now. This amount of stress on a yellow tang will normally create problems. A quarantine tank is really a necessity. IMO, no fish should be added to an established system until at least 4 weeks of quarantine.

Mr. Fish
11/19/2010, 12:12 AM
I haven't seen him yet. Should I be worried? I put some New Life Spectrum pellets in the tank and the clowns ate them, but the gramma didn't come out. If he for some reason dies in that rock will it totally destroy my tank?

Angel*Fish
11/19/2010, 08:31 AM
They can be secretive. He may be out somewhere where you can't see him. Eventually he'll figure out where the food comes down.

If your tank is stable it won't do anything like that. Just keep an eye on the parameters so you can take action if needed if you suspect he may have died.

reeftanker3295
11/19/2010, 08:40 AM
I've had fish that I just added hide for up to a week. He's probably just getting used to his new home. Definitely wait until the 180 is set up for the tang. I have a yellow in my 90 and got him smaller than i've ever seen a yellow tang before and he's already grown a few inches in just a few months. He is very friendly though, no problems with other fish. I love the bright colors.