PDA

View Full Version : Could I keep LPS?

Alunai
11/17/2010, 10:53 PM
Tank: 29 Gallons
Filter: 75 Gallon DF&S with built in skimmer.
Lights: Nova Extreme SLR T5HO w/ 1 Daylight and 1 Actinic.
Flow: Koralia Nano and Koralia 750
Maintenance:Weekly 5 gallon water change.
Inhabitants: 2 Clownfish, 2 mushrooms, frogspawn (1 yr in my tank), random zoanthids, Green nepthea leather, pink leather, pink star polyps, and a purple/orange combo monti cap frag.

I have had the frogspawn in my tank for a year now and it seems pretty happy. I got the monti frag last weekend and placed it about 1/4 of the way up from the bottom of the tank. So far it has kept its color nicely and I'm hoping for this to continue. I'm sure I could keep some lps, and maybe even some SPS. But with my current lighting, what would most likely thrive?

Reef Bass
11/18/2010, 08:11 AM
Just so you know, you've had lps in your tank for a year (frogspawn) and you've got a piece of sps right now (monti cap).

Lighting sounds insufficient to me for light loving acros. The monti cap is a good starter. If it thrives you might try some M. digitata.

KeMo
11/18/2010, 09:11 AM
you are keeping the LPS alive but really I would say that you should get a 4 bulb for them and any others you plan. If you have had the frogspawn for over a year it should be getting bigger and you would be able to see that is was growing good in the tank.
As for the monti frag I would not attempt to keep sps with that light. That does not have enough and you should prob have that monti up high in the tank.
IMHO you should update if you plan on adding any other lps/sps into the tank.\
With 2 bulbs I think you are walking that thin line of not really having enough light for LPS. You might be able to just fit another 2 bulb fixture ontop instead of buying another hole 4 bulb fixture.

Alunai
11/18/2010, 04:14 PM
Yes, I know that I have LPS (frogspawn) and SPS (monti). That's why I'm really checking into things, cause I don't want my monti to whither away. So that's exactly what I did. Since I am taking my 15 gallon down, I took the same light fixture, just shorter, and placed it next to the first. I don't have it on for quite as long but the supplemental light should help. It does make the tank much brighter having the second bulb on there.