PDA

View Full Version : Clumping Old Salt Question

drcarr
11/18/2010, 06:55 AM
hey guys,

can i use a 3/4 full bucket of salt that i received with the tank that i bought off of someone a year ago? the salt has been sitting around in the bucket for the past year and has hardened/clumped together pretty badly.

does the salt go bad? is there any "secret" to un-clumping it for use with water from my new RODI unit?

fyi, it's Instant Ocean salt. from reading on here it seems that IO is decent cheaper salt. any concerns?

thanks!

cakemanPA
11/18/2010, 09:52 AM
I used a bucket that had clumped up on me without any issues. I ran a really wide drill bit through it at several points making sure not to go through the bag, and then I bashed it with a hammer. I took a bit for it to dissolve, but everything tested just fine.

mike_cmu04
11/18/2010, 09:55 AM
I used a bucket of reef crystals that clumped up really hard and had no problems.

drcarr
11/18/2010, 10:47 AM
thanks for the response guys. sounds like it should be ok, maybe just take longer to dissolve while mixing.

this bucket is probably at least 1-2 years old as well. anyone know of any issues with salt sitting around for that long?

Palting
11/18/2010, 12:08 PM
I'm no expert, and certainly can not argue with experience, but most of the readings I have had indicate that clumped synthetic salt has reacted not just with the moisture, but with itself creating varying chemical compounds that may have varying effects. Effects may vary from nothing at all, to disastrous. Just thought I'd share that. I wouldn't use it on my tank.

As far as storage time itself, so long as the container is sealed, there is no expiration date. Clumped, I don't know.

nikesb
11/18/2010, 02:16 PM
mine just clumped up this morning too. it was one large clump. it wasnt like this just last week

Allmost
11/18/2010, 02:30 PM
Clumped up salt has taken in moisture as others mentioned. this could effect alot of things I am guessing. like leaving baking soda out in open before use, it will take up co2 right ?

my last 3 salt buckets (BRAND new from TMPR) were clumped up and as others mentioned, all tests read fine and I used it anyways, but I see decline in coloring of SPS which I am blaming this for it. there are over 70 elements in salt water, we can only test like 10 at max so Im not sure how this has effected other elements. perhaps a chemist could help us out on the potential elements that can absorb moisture or co2 or ... .

nuccadoc
11/18/2010, 02:39 PM
I just got a bag of Seachem's Reef Salt and it was also a clumped up. After breaking it up and making up 5 gallons my tests results were quite disturbing.

pH 8.3
Alk-<1
Cal 400
Mg 1100

With the comments above I have to agree that when the salt clumps there are chemical reactions taking place that affect the elements. I'm going to make up another batch this weekend. Be interesting to see what results I get.

Scott

Floowid
11/18/2010, 04:51 PM
I just got a bag of Seachem's Reef Salt and it was also a clumped up. After breaking it up and making up 5 gallons my tests results were quite disturbing.

pH 8.3
Alk-<1
Cal 400
Mg 1100

With the comments above I have to agree that when the salt clumps there are chemical reactions taking place that affect the elements. I'm going to make up another batch this weekend. Be interesting to see what results I get.

Scott

Wow that is disturbing. I have used salt with small clumps in it with no ill effects, but never had to jack hammer it.

drcarr
11/18/2010, 05:23 PM
Wow! that is a far cry from what it is supposed to test (calc. 540, alk. 10, mag. 1450) from the sticky in the chemistry forum.

keep us posted on what the next batch tests out to...

pH 8.3
Alk-<1
Cal 400
Mg 1100

Scott

The_Codfather
11/18/2010, 05:28 PM

pH 8.3
Alk-<1
Cal 400
Mg 1100

Scott

I had the same thing happened to me and i called seachem and they called back the next day saying they mix the salt to compensate for clumping so there should be no issues

nuccadoc
11/18/2010, 06:26 PM
I had the same thing happened to me and i called seachem and they called back the next day saying they mix the salt to compensate for clumping so there should be no issues

I guess I don't follow your comment. What did they mean when they stated there should be no issues?

Scott

The_Codfather
11/18/2010, 06:37 PM
I guess I don't follow your comment. What did they mean when they stated there should be no issues?

ScottMeaning no chemical reactions..

nuccadoc
11/18/2010, 06:44 PM
OK, thanks.

Alunai
11/18/2010, 06:47 PM
That's interesting... I've been using clumped IO salt for when I run out of salt water.

cakemanPA
11/18/2010, 07:14 PM
There is no reaction from when I did my testing with clumped versus non-clumped. But to each their own. I think that sometimes we look for problems in this hobby where none exist :spin2:

The_Codfather
11/18/2010, 07:31 PM
If you really think about it if salt mix clumps from getting moist think about what adding water to it will do.. BTW im being sarcastic

RotaryGeek
11/18/2010, 07:42 PM
I have used salt that has clumped before will no ill effects. But I also don't have alot of SPS in my tank, so if softies and lps aren't affected then i couldn't tell you if SPS are.

Sk8r
11/18/2010, 10:25 PM
Clumped salt has lost its buffering capacity and may cause alkalinity/stability problems in your alk/cal/magnesium relationship. Don't use it in a reef, particularly.

Salt mixes vary in purpose. Oceanic, for instance, is a good reef salt, with a higher calcium level.