PDA

View Full Version : STN problems and voltage question

zachslow
11/18/2010, 10:53 AM
Hey everyone,

I have a pretty stocked and established SPS tank. It's been moving along fine for years and just recently i started having a major STN problem. All of my parameters are rock solid and nothing had really changed in the tank recently--so i'm at a bit of a loss as to why this is happening. Everyday I'm watching more and more colonies starting to STN from the bottom up--it sucks.

The next thing I'm hoping to check for is stray current in my tank. Is there a voltage tester on the market I can use to check for a stray current in my tank? If so, i'd love to hear the name and possibly a link for the item.

Lastly, an aquarium maintenance guy I know suggested I dose Chemi-Clean once as he said it's possible there is a bacteria strain in my tank causing the STN. I've never heard of this train of thought. Has anyone else?

Much thanks!

zachslow
11/19/2010, 03:21 PM
Anyone?

Doobze
11/19/2010, 03:44 PM
If it's bottom up, check for AEFW.

zachslow
11/19/2010, 04:29 PM
It's definitely not AEFW.

Doobze
11/20/2010, 12:23 AM
What's your flow like? As your corals have grown in they mightve reduced your flow in places.

M007
11/20/2010, 07:42 AM
If you know for a fact it's not AEFW and your perams are "rock solid" you may indeed have a flow issue. Have you redirected any powerheads recently? Have any slowed due to maintenance issues? May also be a grow out problem requiring more flow. I recently lost a very nice table due to my stupid habit of tinkering. By redirecting a powerhead I changed the water flow of my tank which started a bottom up pee,l which in turn converted my table from treasure to reactor media.