PDA

View Full Version : Tuka anthias primer

ryanrid
11/18/2010, 05:21 PM
I thought i would start this as they are beautiful fish and after having sucess with these thought i would share some tips.

One thing to mention firstly is that Tuka have a life span of approx 3 years and have very fast metabolism and require frequent feedings. They also do best in schools where if there is no male in the group the larger or dominant female will transform to male as with many other species.

These fish are quite shy and should not be kept with boisterous fish or they will perish.

The hardest thing with these fish is to get them to feed initally, QT for this fish should have ample hiding places.

your food shopping list should include

frozen baby brine
frozen daphnia and or brine spirulina
forzen rotifers
frozen brine
frozen mysis
cyclopeze
spectrum 1mm pellets

for the real finicky eaters you will need to have live baby brine

to start with feeding these you will need to defrost the smaller foods and feed very regulary. Tuka seem to only eat small foods to start with but the nutritional value in these is not great so minimum 4 feedings er day should be supplied. It is also important not to startle the fish when feeding also.

If they will not eat the smaller foods you will need to add the live baby brine, then mix live with some defrosted frozen till you ween them on only frozen.

after several days of eating the smaller food brine/mysis should be added, however it is unlikely they will eat whole ones so these should be chopped and mixed with the small foods.

after a week or so of previous feeding step only feed chopped brine/mysis mixed with unchopped versions - feedings can now reduce to 3/day. Once you notice they are eating all sized foods there is no need to chop, now you can start mixing some spectrum pellets into the mix.

Once they are feeding on pellets and brine/mysis steadily you can reduce to 2 feedings/day where i personally fed pellet in the morning and frozen varities at night.

I kept a school of 5 tuka for close to 2 years like this till i pulled the tank down.

on a side note when i tried to increase the school size they would kill any new addition so i would advise getting your ideal school size from the one source intially.

Ryan

Angel*Fish
01/01/2011, 10:29 PM
Congratulations with your success! I didn't know they were short lived fish. One problem is by the time we get them here, these sensitive beauties are somewhat traumatized. I had some that I was hatching brine nauplii for a few years back. I had one that lived 8 months and she was partially weaned off the nauplii.

Here's the thread where I logged the progress http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=695884&highlight=tuka

AfricaOffroad
01/02/2011, 05:51 AM
I bought a pair about 2 months ago.
Unfortunately I could only get one to eat properly.
It now schools with the rest of the anthias.
Its not shy come feeding time.
Prefers small types of frozen food, but is now actively eating mysis and artemia.
Also likes it when I chop shrimp , squid and calamari.

Wont eat pellets though.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/AfricaOffroad/7670a00d.jpg

Norberg
01/02/2011, 12:18 PM
Very nice to hear about your succes Ryan! :)
Tuka is one of my favorite fishes, i have 7 of them in my tank.

I would like to recomend all that are intressted in keeping tuka to read Matt Wandell:s very nice articel about these fishes. It has some very good info about keeping those fishes.

http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/reefs-magazine/71849-boldly-colored-beauties-tuka-anthias.html

I would like to ad some food to the list that Ryan has put together.
That is raw shrimp and scalop. Froze it and shred fine and feed your tuka, they will love it.
Bosmids has also worked for me to start them with.
Pellets has never worked for me (yet).

Dont feed tiny pinches of food when they are new. I have noticed that i get a better feeding response when i flood the tank with food.

I have also noticed that the more you feed those fishes the more active they get. When they start to eat there is litterely no bottom in them and they can be feed many times without stop eating!
So i would recomend to feed them as often as possible just to get them as active as possible in the beginning.

This is what i se in my tank every time i come into the room and i also hear a subtile voice in my head! Feeed me! Feeed me! ;)

Matt_Wandell
01/02/2011, 02:55 PM
Hi all and thanks for that link Norberg. :D

Maximum confirmed lifespan is at least over 3 years based on the males I'm currently keeping, based on the captive longevity of other Pseudanthias spp. I would not be surprised if they can live 5-6 years or even longer. I know of one friend's P. dispar that lived 9 years but looked like a haggard old man near the end. It's safe to assume they could not live this long on a reef though. ;)

My experience with this species has been that all fish will turn into males given enough time despite the presence of other males around. At the time of publication I still had 2 females that had been female for 2.5 years which recently changed into males as well, so I have a 100% male shoal now. In contrast I have ~12 P. randalli which are 3.9.0 and have been this way for the last 3 years. My guess is that the degree of interspecific aggression has a lot to do with it. I hope to start up more groups in years to come to see if this is unique to this group or typical for the species.

Everything else on my mind is covered in the article that Mr. Norberg was kind enough to link, thank you!

suta4242
01/02/2011, 07:26 PM
IIRC his anthias sometimes had boisterous tankmates, yet took it all in their stride, even in a mixed community tank. They weren't delicate fish at all, but did need a lot of food.

So I wonder if the hardiness of Ryan's tukas had something to do with their capture location, in much the same way as locally caught ventralis seem much more sensitive than the ones via Vanuatu.:confused:

cromedogg33
07/14/2011, 02:34 PM
I just want to say after finding this page...Matt, thank you for the awesome read and tips to keeping these fish.

h0bite
02/17/2015, 07:20 PM
Some people got these beauties at home ?
Let's keep this thread alive!

Reel North
05/03/2016, 09:28 PM
I just picked up 12 today. Have them already eating LRS frozen fish eggs. Will keep you updated

MIKE NY
05/03/2016, 10:09 PM
I've only been able to keep them about three years so reading that's about their lifespan I don't feel so bad...

janci
05/03/2016, 11:29 PM
I found this anthias the other day in the lfs.
Anybody knows they show similar behaviour or are any easier than the tuka?
Pseudanthias evansi.
Would like to add 6 of them to the tank.

After reading this thread, I will follow this feeding schedule and do the best I can .

d-man
05/04/2016, 01:24 PM
They are like Queens, and tukas. They can be challenging to get to eat. Feeds lots of cyclopeeze, artic pods, mini mysis, and pray. I have 10 coming today from wholesale. The price was hard to pass up and they were supposedly eating already. I've had a couple last about a month max, but now my QT is a lil better suited for them. So good luck to us both.

janci
05/05/2016, 02:11 PM
I have 6 of them by now and started feeding live brine which they like and have tried with frozen PE calanus. They dig it, but are very shy still.
I hope things will be going better soon.
They are gorgeous and the coloration is incredible.

photoblepharon
05/25/2016, 09:52 PM
Our oldest tuka is now about 9 years old. I believe it is the oldest Tuka in the world if not the oldest Pseudanthias of any species.

I've found that introducing small females with super males will keep the females from changing.