PDA

View Full Version : Please Help! Apex web connection driving me nuts!

addonnis242
11/20/2010, 02:07 PM
Ok, so I'm right on the edge of giving up on this after two solid days of trying. I have connected my Apex to my network as it said "Hardwire" first; then "Wireless" that went well I can access the Apex from my browser just fine on any network PC. On to the next part accessing from the internet nothing works I've spent hours and still nothing. I set up the DDNS account etc. and enabled DDNS through my router and still I'm getting nothing on the Apex Android app or the web browser on my phone, can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong???
I'm starting to wonder if this is happening because I'm not connecting directly through the Fios Actiontec router. I ran everything through my wireless N router for speed and range. Does anyone know if this is what my problem is and if so what can I do??

My network is set up as follows:
Verizon Fios Actiontec Router ---> D-Link DLG-4500 Wireless N Router ----> Various PCs, printers, game systems, Apex, etc.

If anyone can help I'd really appreciate it, Thanks

HeneryH
11/20/2010, 08:23 PM
Did you set up port-forwarding? You need to set up a port forwarding rule to send the incoming web connection requests to the Apex.

RussM
11/20/2010, 10:04 PM
The problem is that you are running daisy-chained routers. This makes port forwarding more complex, may cause issues with DDNS, and may prevent VPN software and some online / Internet-connected games from working.

The simplest thing you can do is to remove the D-Link from the picture. Other solutions are moderately complex to implement. A few possibile courses of action...

- set the Actiontec as a bridge so the D-Link is the only router (only some models can do this).
- set the Actiontec's DMZ mode to point to the D-Link, then configure DDNS & port forwarding only on the D-Link
- connect a LAN port on the D-Link to the Actiontec (don't use the D-Link's WAN/Internet port); this effectingly bypasses the D-Link's router functions, and allows it to act only as a switch and wireless access point.

addonnis242
11/21/2010, 09:19 AM
HeneryH: I tried to set up port forwarding as explained from what I found on the web. There is no area in the interface that says port forwarding so I had to go into gaming and virtual server set ups and try it that way. Its probably not right but I'm not sure what else to do.

RussM: Thanks for the response I was figuring this had something to do with the problem. I will try a the possible fixes you listed and if none of them work I guess I'm SOL, there is no way I will go back to a "G" network so removing the D-Link is out of the question.

Thanks for the responses guys I really appreciate it.

addonnis242
11/21/2010, 09:52 AM
RussM: If you're still looking, could I get by this issue by replacing the wireless n router with a wireless n access point? It is my understanding that the acces points provide no routing function so I assume this would solve the issue with having to port two devices.

If there are any other tech people out there looking please let me know if that makes sense or if I'm reaching.

Thanks

RussM
11/21/2010, 11:07 AM
An access point would be a nice clean solution. But since you already have the D-Link, you could use it solely as an access point & switch.

Set your Apex to enable DHCP if you have DHCP disabled.
Access the web page of the Actiontec. Look at what IP address range it is using on the LAN. It's probably 192.168.1.x. Make a note of it, the subnet mask being used (probably 255.255.255.0), and of the specific IP address used.... probably 192.168.1.1
If you have not already done so, disable wireless in the Actiontec.
Access the web page of the D-Link.
Remove any port forwarding you may have configured.
Disable the D-Link's DHCP server.
Change the D-Link's LAN IP address (probably 192.168.0.1 right now) to an address in the same range as the Actiontec's IP address. If the Actiontec is 192.168.1.1, make the D-Link 192.168.1.2. Set the subnet mask to the same as the one on the Actiontec (i.e. 255.255.255.0)
You will lose communications with the D-Link after you apply these setting changes.
Reconnect the D-Link to the Actiontec, LAN port to LAN port. You MIGHT have to use a special network cable called a cross-over cable (you can get one at Best Buy for a few bucks) If you get link lights on both devices with the existing cable, then you are fine. It wouldn't hurt to use a cross-over cable regardless.
Reboot all connected devices so they get the proper new IP address from the Actiontec.
Verify that everything is working.
Set the Apex to DHCP disabled... note the new IP address.
Configure port forwarding to the Apex on the Actiontec.

Good luck!

tjw00
11/22/2010, 08:30 AM
I have the same setup as you: FIOS daisy chained to a DGL 4500. The only thing that is different with my system is that I also have a wireless gaming adapter connected to the Apex.

I setup Apex on port 1055 to the outside world. So, I have the FIOS router setup to forward traffic on that port to the DGL as follows:
DGL-4500 192.168.1.3:1055 Destination Ports 1055
TCP Any -> 1055
UDP Any -> 1055

where 192.168.1.3 is the DGL's IP on the Fios router.

On the DGL I have a virtual server set up as :
Apex 192.168.0.199 TCP 1055 → 80 Always Allow All

where 192.168.0.199 is the Apex IP on the DGL

addonnis242
11/22/2010, 09:02 AM
tjw00: thanks for the input, I'll have to check and try to set mine up the same way when I get home from work tonight. I appreciate the way you laid that out it should be very easy to follow.

Thanks