PDA

View Full Version : Aggressive Dwarf Flame ... What to add next?

Reef Shepherd
11/20/2010, 02:57 PM
60 Gallon FOLWR. Year old tank. Only has 2 fish in it, a timid 6 line wrasse and a very aggressive dwarf flame angel. As soon as the flame even catches a glimps of the wrasse, it attacks, even if they are 2 feet away from each other.

Should I be concerned about adding my next fish? I should have added the flame last but it doesn't seem like that's helping the wrasse at all. Any suggestions for what fish to add next? A clown pair?

dzfish17
11/20/2010, 03:10 PM
Without thinking about it much I would say a neon dottyback. I had one and he could hold his own with anything in the tank.

Dave

SkullV
11/22/2010, 01:05 AM
Maroon Clown pair can hold their own with whatever that flame can dish out. They are also great looking fish!

Jhockey
11/22/2010, 05:28 AM
Have you tried putting the flame in time out? Letting the six line establish itself. Then add your new fish (dottyback/psuedochromis or clowns would be great additions) then let them get established. Lastly, add the flame back in.

capecoral
11/22/2010, 09:28 AM
Dwarf puffer?

Angel*Fish
11/23/2010, 09:13 PM
Just my two cents, but I'd get rid of the wrasse as they eat stuff in my tank that I don't want eaten. And you might seriously consider as suggested above removing the flame while you stock your tank. Do you have plenty of rock work?

DoubleM 10
11/24/2010, 02:03 PM
maine betta??

Reef Shepherd
11/27/2010, 09:22 AM
The wrasse was the first fish I added a year ago and I just added the flame last month. I think I will go with some clowns since I have less than 5 inches of fish in the tank.

MrTuskfish
11/27/2010, 03:09 PM
The wrasse was the first fish I added a year ago and I just added the flame last month. I think I will go with some clowns since I have less than 5 inches of fish in the tank.
By some, do you mean a mature, mated pair or more than 2 juvis? Most clown species are often seen in big groups at the lfs; but as they mature, they will pair off. An adult pair will usually not tolerate other clowns in the same tank. Also, juvis will not do well with a very territorial Flame Angel. If you can get a mature, mated pair of mature maroons; that should work well. A mated female maroon is a very territorial and very capable of protecting herself and her mate from aggressive fish twice her size. Introducing them last helps things too.

Reef Shepherd
12/10/2010, 06:21 PM
Thanks tusk. I still haven't added anything. In my short time with a marine aquarium, I've learned that patience beats quick decisions (and returns to the LFS). Although the flame still chases the wrasse around, it seems that he is more tolerable these days and I would bet I wouldn't need to be as careful as I once thought. Thanks again.

Angel*Fish
12/12/2010, 08:01 PM
That patience thing will take you a long way in this hobby :D