PDA

View Full Version : Diamond Watchman Goby ? bad choice for LPS?

micromount
11/20/2010, 09:21 PM
Got D.W. Goby today to help keep my sandbed clean. Plate coral,acanths, blastos and Lobos are now covered by sand. If I blow off the sand once a day will the corals be O.K?

ReefSafari
11/21/2010, 12:27 AM
I feel you....I have a Dragon Goby that moves sand 24/7...I almost have to blow my corals off 2-3 times a day:sad2:...I too have Fungia and a Lobo that seem to get the brunt of it, it can get anoying having to blow the sand off of them, he does do a great job sifting the sand though, I have kinda gotten used to it, and the corals don't seem to be bothered too much by it.

It is something that probably will never stop though, so you will have to keep up the effort to keep the sand off of them, I would just keep an eye on the corals and if you notice damage or issues I would either move the corals or try and move the goby out....I only have the Fungia and Lobo mainly to deal with, and both of them don't seem to be too effected by it.

hockey00
11/23/2010, 07:02 PM
I have a diamond goby and love it. It keeps my floor of the tank spotless. Once in awhile it will blow sand on my open brain but it doesn't seem to mined. Keep your tank covered!!

TwistedEnvy
11/24/2010, 08:51 AM
I could not stand my sand sifting goby so I finally was able to catch him. I have a very full sandbed, acans were covered all day and it wasnt good for them, let alone having to do that everyday. He was outta there

micromount
11/24/2010, 05:43 PM
So far the coral most affected is the Fungia Plate. Get completely buried 2x a day.
LFS will take the Watchman Goby back. Yeah right. Spent an hour trying to catch it. Lot of hiding places in the live rock.
Now as soon as I get near the tank he goes into hiding.

TripleT
11/24/2010, 05:57 PM
Is your tank covered?

If not, don't be surprised if he's on the floor tomorrow morning.

Got powerheads you can aim to help keep sand off of sensitive corals?

awestruck
11/26/2010, 02:57 PM
I love those gobies but for me they're more work than they're worth having. Corals get really annoyed when sand is constantly being tossed on them, and it requires diligence to always keep them sand-free.

MeatWad
11/26/2010, 03:05 PM
Wow you would thing there just like damsles lol

awestruck
11/26/2010, 08:39 PM
They're very cute w/tons of personality, they're just hard workers that consequently bother corals. :)