PDA

View Full Version : Faulty or user issue with phosphate reactor

rcoughtrey
11/20/2010, 10:47 PM
MY reactor recently is really been a pain in the ***.

I replace the Phosban early to correct this about 2 weeks ago and it has done it again.

The bottom sponge will lift up on one side causing that sides flow of water to go out of control and push to much of the phosban in the tube.

Currently have the reactor turned off so I can think what will be best to do.

Any recommendations?
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_TnT907AB070/TOiiOS6xQEI/AAAAAAAAOYk/BA_jr7_Fgcc/s800/IMAG0262.jpg

billdogg
11/21/2010, 12:28 AM
Yeah - mine does that too. I don't stress over it at all. If yours has been off more than a few hours it will need to be dumped and cleaned well. The sponge is probably getting a little loose or something.

dots
11/21/2010, 12:32 AM
Flow may be your issue here. GFO should move fluidly, not be churned or mixed violently. Doing so only causes the fines of the GFO to be expelled and the higher flows breaks down the GFO creating more fines that make their way.

There are a couple of different brands of GFO on the market, you may want to experiment with those.

Play with the amount your are adding, more mass may help your situation.

Other people have added another piece of filter material from a poly filter....play with it.

Another trick I used, the filter sock that comes with the GFO, I would cut into squares and rubber band to the discharge of the reactor as a means to catch any fines that did get flushed out.

In the end, I had terrible results with the TLF reactors and don't like them, I did find the Via Aquas suited my needs.

rcoughtrey
11/21/2010, 10:47 AM
Yeah I agree with the flow. The amount I aim for is for when it looks like a pan of boiling water on the top.

I was also looking at making my own filter pads that were a bit thicker.

I have 1/3 left with my current phosban so will give that ago and see how it goes.