PDA

View Full Version : Need some help....

RBU1
11/21/2010, 07:24 AM
What could be causing my alk to drop 2 DKH in 12 hours and the calcium hard to bring up?

This is a 34 gallon tank and the parameters are as follows

Alk 9 DKH
Cal 420
Mag 1440
PH 8.3

I seem to add a great deal of calcium buffer and it only raises it a little bit.

Any Thoughts????

reefgeezer
11/21/2010, 11:33 AM
Verify your test kit. Otherwise, check your pumps and heater for precipitation.

neoalchemist74
11/21/2010, 03:59 PM
Ir your running GFO it will lower your alk if you are running it too agressivly. It should be on a very low boil, the surface of the GFO should barely be moving.

tmz
11/21/2010, 04:30 PM
Precipitation of calcium carbonate both biotic as corals ,coraline and other calcifying organisms grow and abiotic will deplete it. PO4 reduction enhances precipitation. For each 2.8 dkh used 20ppm of calcium will also be used.

RBU1
11/21/2010, 04:35 PM
I have been using the Seachem Reef Fusion. This morning around 8AM I added 30ml of the Reef Fusion part one and 2 spaced about 10 minutes apart. This afternoon around 2:30PM I tested Alk and Calcium. I got 8 DKH and 420 on the CA....I added another 30ML of each part of the Reef Fusion as I did this morning. I tested again and got 10DKH on the Alk and 460 on the CA. SOOOOO I added 60 ML's of the Reef Fusion in one day. Is it me or is that a large amount of Reef Fusion? I mean the tank is only 34 gallons and its really not heavily stocked. The SPS that are in there all look good. I just don't understand why I have to add so much???? I will be calling Seachem tomorrow to see what they have to say. But I am open to any thoughts.....

I don't run GFO in this tank.

bertoni
11/21/2010, 04:57 PM
I would watch the surface of the heater, and perhaps check the insides of the pumps, for signs of precipitation. Also, I'd check the pH just after the alkalinity dose. Do you know the approximate volume of actual water in the tank?

I suspect everything is okay, but 2 dKH in 12 hours is high enough to warrant a bit of checking.

RBU1
11/21/2010, 05:52 PM
ITs a 34 gallon red sea max with about 35 pounds of rock. So I think about 30 gallons of water.
What do you mean by watch the surface of the heater? Pumps are all clean the tank has only been running for about 4 months.....It was an upgrade from a 12 gallon aquapod. I added crushed coral as the substrate and 25 pounds of Marco Rock, the rest of the rock and corals and fish all transfered over from the 12g......

I am at a loss.....Maybe I just need to dose a ridiculous amount.

bertoni
11/21/2010, 06:46 PM
Calcium and alkalinity can precipitate inside pumps and on any warm surface, since higher temperatures mean lower solubility. If there's no signs of precipitation, I wouldn't worry very much.

RBU1
11/21/2010, 07:05 PM
Calcium and alkalinity can precipitate inside pumps and on any warm surface, since higher temperatures mean lower solubility. If there's no signs of precipitation, I wouldn't worry very much.

Thank You

bertoni
11/21/2010, 07:37 PM
You're welcome! Good luck!

oscar.millan
11/21/2010, 09:46 PM
I wouldn't worry about it too much, but I would recommend testing against results.

RBU1
11/22/2010, 05:59 AM
Tested again this morning 5:30AM ALK 8 DKH and Calcium 440.....Dosed 30ML of Reef Fusion 1 and 30ML Reef Fusion 2....

So theoretically based on my past test results after dosing my ALK should be at 10DKH and Calcium at 460-470 range....

Im gonna use this thread as a log for myself.....If anyone see's anything weird or has any opinions for me as I post my results PLEASE let me know. Thanks

RBU1
11/22/2010, 04:28 PM
OK just tested again....About 12 hours after the morning test...

8DKH
440 CA

I added another 30ML of the Reef Fusion Part 2 for the ALK and tested again.

10DKH

So I dropped 2 DKH in a 12 hour period.
and about 20 ppm calcium in a 12 hour period.......

WHY???????

This tank is not real heavily stocked....I have about 8 SPS frags a moon coral and a rose anemone......I don't get it....

reefgeezer
11/22/2010, 06:46 PM
Repeat the test three times back to back to see if you are getting accurate readings. Test 1 hour after adding buffer to check the alkalinity. Don't test again for 24 hours. If alk is truely dropping 2 dKh in less than 24 hours, it must be going somewhere... coral growth, coraline growth (both good), or precipitation as calcium carbonate (just a waste).

My guess is that: 1) your test kit is defective; or 2) you are adding too much buffer and it is precipitating out of solution. I'd recommend trying another test kit and waiting a while and letting the levels balance. There is absolutely nothing wrong with 8 dKh or even 7.

bertoni
11/22/2010, 08:43 PM
2-3 dKH per day is a reasonable consumption rate for alkalinity, so I'm not sure the rate you're quoting is all that strange. I'd also measure the dKH just before and 1 minute or two after adding the supplement, so we get some idea of how much the alkalinity is changing with the dose.

It's possible that some of the supplements are precipitating on some surface, but you should be able to see signs, eventually.

RBU1
11/23/2010, 04:49 AM
Bertoni. Kinda using this thread as a tool for myself to see my results and let people comment. I am glad to hear that you feel a 2-3 DKH drop in ALK per day is normal.

This morning before I tested I added 1tsp of baking soda instead of the Reef Fusion part 2
and 30ML of the Reef Fusion part one for calcium.....

I tested after adding and got....

9DKH
440 CA

I am happy with those numbers....I will test again at night when I get home from work and see if my ALK is down to 7....

RBU1
11/23/2010, 04:08 PM
OK Home from work....Tested and got 8DKH....Added 1tsp of baking soda re-tested and got 9DKH. I think I am happy for now.....I think I will stick to the baking soda versus the Reef Fusion....Seems like I have to add way to much to get the results I need.

bertoni
11/23/2010, 06:39 PM
That all sounds fine so far!