PDA

View Full Version : questions on dosing kalwasser

reefkeeper78
11/22/2010, 11:58 AM
I'm trying to figure out the best way for me to dose a kalkwaser solution. I've never used this before nor do I know anyone who has. I have an ATO that is hooked direct to my RO filter so I have no bucket that I can mix the solution into. I do have a PH controler. Can I use a dosing pump and turn it on and off via the PH controler when a predertermined limit has been reached. I know the controller is capable of this but not sure if there will be major swings that will make the pump run eraticly. My setup is a 120 mixed reef with CA reactor and 125 sump in the basement. I know that my CO2 saturation is a part in this and I need to implement some sort of PH buffer to help with the massive swings that I get when the furnace kicks on. I'm in the process of doing an outside intake to fix that and I have my skimmer pulling outside air but my ph barely breaks 8.0 if at all durning the day and last night it hit a new low of 7.5ish.

Also should I run a 1.5ml dosing pump or 50ml per minute dosing pump and what buffer should I use and where do you buy it from. Sorry for the all the rambling stupid questions.

marke
11/22/2010, 06:05 PM
I buy my Kalk from Bulk reef supply BRS. They have some educational videos on kalk. check it out. I dose with a drews dosing pump from a 3 gal container. I wud not use the ph controller, but use a simple timer to turn on the dosing for your needs. Start testing for Ca,Kh,Mg,Ph, PO4, now and after you dose, dont over do it.

wesley6610
11/23/2010, 02:04 PM
If you can afford it down the line, I would get a Litermeter 3 to help ease the frustration that can come with controlled dosing. But in the mean time, if you know what you tank requirements are for Calcium and Alkalinity, then you can either slow them down a bit as you dose with Kalk all day or you can leave them alone and just supplement Kalk at night to help with pH and a bonus will go to Ca/Alk additions. With a mixed reef, I guess it really depends on your tank demands as to how much and how fast you will run through your Kalk, but I would start with a 1 - 2 gallon container, mix per directions and try your best to eliminate exposure to air to help keep it fresh while your dosing pump adds it over night. BRS is a great company and has good prices and videos like marke stated.

oscar.millan
11/23/2010, 02:17 PM
I dose with an osmolator, it's trouble free and it doses when water evaporates. Keep my water between 7.9 and 8.2.