PDA

View Full Version : LED help

Gamepro_inc
11/22/2010, 01:53 PM
Hello all, with christmas soon approaching I am thinking about new toys for the tank. Mainly lighting. I have been wanting a LED light for my 34 Solana
20x20x20. I would like a light that can do day, evening, and lunar lighting all with one unit and would like it to be a dimmable unit that can be hooked up to a controller. I currently have SPS,LPS, and zoes and want to soon have a maxima clam on the sand bed. So my question is what lights do you guys suggest for the price. I know Aquailluminations has their Sol module and was considering this but I wanted to know what they had as competition. I was advised against the Sol nano since it wouold not reach to the edges of my tank and anything on the corners would be lacking in light. Any advice would help.

murphreef
11/22/2010, 02:18 PM
I saw this on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/Evolution-LED-Light-120-watt-aquarium-live-coral-frag-/230510572344?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35ab803338

doesnt have all the things you want but for the price i was thinking of using it on my 25G solana I wonder if it is worth it myself... i want to take a break from using my 250W HQI halide over the tank its just too much for such a small tank...

im tagn along to see what others suggest as well

Gamepro_inc
11/22/2010, 05:38 PM
Thanks for the info but I have read that with such a high PAR output some corals can burn under them which makes having a dimmable unit a neccesity.

scubasteve06
11/22/2010, 05:52 PM
Go with the Sol blue. They have it on special at MarineDepot right now for 600ish with the controller rails, and hanging kit. Some have said that they didn't like the rails, but I find this a minor inconvenience compared to the PAR output, controllability, and modularity of the unit, not to mention how much energy and cost it will save you; just in bulbs in a 2-3 year time frame it will pay for itself.

Gamepro_inc
11/24/2010, 07:31 AM
So is there anything else that compares to the Sol blue? just curious if they have any competition. Would it be very difficult to DIY something comparable to the Sol?