PDA

View Full Version : In Tank Refugium

titancrusher1
11/22/2010, 11:45 PM
Ok,

So I wanted to start playing around with the idea of having a semi refugium in my main DT since i dont have the need or want to deal with having to set up a full on Refugium outside my tank at the moment. I built a basic cube using eggcrate so I can hold some macro algae as well as some lighter pieces of live rock rubble for copepod growth.

What do you guys think?

titancrusher1
11/22/2010, 11:48 PM
by the way, my main tank is a 6' long 135g tank. This refug is about 13x8x9

pmason44m
05/27/2011, 03:43 PM
Considering the same thing for our new 115 gal seahorse tank.

The right side would hold all the macro/pods/etc and overflow into
the left side (option to include a bit of filter floss incase ?)

The left side would be external pumped to a UV filter and chiller, then
back into the right side.

Considering a skimmer or some sort of air injection for the right side.
Same as titancrusher1, let me know what you think.

hail_sniper
05/27/2011, 06:14 PM
awesome itll work just fine, i'd advocate a lower flow in this area, i personally would krylon the eggcrate black.

NanoReefWanabe
05/27/2011, 10:15 PM
all though functional, i find it fugly....there have got to be 50 different macro algae you can get that will still export nutrients via regular pruning and not require a box to be held in...personally i would forgo the box, and look into better algae...
halmedia, gracilima are two off hand that are beautiful display tank additions that will work great...
here is one site that sells algae (http://www.lareefs.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1&sort=20a&page=1)

and i am sure you could google many more, just stay away from any and all species of caulerpa.

hail_sniper
05/28/2011, 11:34 AM
yes but the purpose of a refugium, is to provide refuge for the copepods to breed like they never bred before and to keep them away from the mouths of voracious fish. so egg crate is a good idea.. but yes it is an eye sore.

how about a LR rubble pile behind your rocks? or put the eggcrate behind... gotta be a more aesthetic way..

NanoReefWanabe
05/29/2011, 08:50 PM
yes but the purpose of a refugium, is to provide refuge for the copepods to breed like they never bred before and to keep them away from the mouths of voracious fish. so egg crate is a good idea.. but yes it is an eye sore.

how about a LR rubble pile behind your rocks? or put the eggcrate behind... gotta be a more aesthetic way..

true but i have yet to see a fish tear through a ball of cheato to get to a pod or two...with enough flow the cheato will float other wise it will sit on the bottom of the tank...place it behind a little pile of rock and it wont go anywhere, pods will be fine and you dont have to look at a flouresent white box in the tank. there are tonnes of marco that will provide refuge and not require a box...bottle brush (pencil cap) and gracillima are two that would work great for both export and refuge...