PDA

View Full Version : Size of tank for a beginner reef

McFarland4600
11/23/2010, 09:51 AM
What size of tank would you all recomend for a beginner who wants to set up a reef tank. I already have a old 75 gallon i was thinking about using but wasent for sure if it would be a good idea or not what do u all think?

Chris27
11/23/2010, 09:57 AM
A 75 Gallon is the perfect starter reef, water chemistry is much harder to screw up with a larger volume of water, and the footprint makes aquascaping much easier when compared to say a 55 or 29 Gallon. Water changes are easy also, two 5 gal buckets or a small trashcan full should do the trick.

Radar1
11/23/2010, 10:00 AM
The best size for a beginner is the size your going to want later down the road. The three most important things for me are flow lighting and temperature. make sure those three things are good and take your time in the beggining and keeping any kind of reef should be pretty painless.

Hawkdl2
11/23/2010, 10:08 AM
The size is fine and there is no good reason to go any smaller unless cost of equipment is an issue. The mistake a lot of beginners make thinking smaller is safer is that the smaller the system the harder it is to ensure water quality stability. Minor errors in dosing, maintenance, top off, etc. can result in much large swings in tank parameters in small systems - making them harder, not easier, to maintain - and therefore more likely to result in frustration for the beginner.

The bigger question for your old tank is what was it previously used for and had copper been used in the tank? If your not certain about the answers to those questions, I would advise you not to use the tank. Old tanks with questionable histories are frequently the cause of long term problems.

The other issue in using an "old tank" is they are often not set up for reef keeping. Most (not all) reef keepers prefer through tank overflow and return water capability meaning you might want holes drilled in the tank. Easy enough if you do a bit of research, but not if the tank used tempered glass.

More often than not it's a good idea to look around for a used reef tank from someone in your area - but ask a lot of questions, or find someone with a good reputation here on RC.

After sorting out the tank, read, read, read.

TRENT_G
11/23/2010, 10:08 AM
40B is a great size. Easy to maintain and inexpensive in comparison to larger tanks.

spieszak
11/23/2010, 10:09 AM
The equipment is a larger expense than the tank, and matters more... The larger the tank, the larger the equipment. You'll have better success (IMHO) by overdoing the equipment.. 75 gallon tank, skimmer rated for 100 gallons... So if money is no option, then bigger is always better because small mistakes tend to stay small with large water volumes, but if your budgeting, then budget the equipment first, and use the tank size that works with the equipment you can afford..

jeff@zina.com
11/23/2010, 10:11 AM
Go big or go home. :)

Larger tanks are more forgiving. They also cost more to run. I like a 40 breeder for a beginner as the small end, a 75 or 90 in the middle and a 125 or larger if it's affordable.

The alternative is the All In One (AIO) tanks, like the Red Sea Max, Oceanic Bio Cube and JBJ Nano Cube tanks. They come with most of what you need in one simple package. Many LFS will configure, stock, deliver and set these up for you for a single price. A little more costly than a DIY job, but it starts you off right. Locally, $600 - $1,000 will have you a fully working 29 gallon setup by the weekend. Lights and a skimmer for a 75/90 will cost you that much.

Jeff

lordofthereef
11/23/2010, 10:18 AM
For all of you giving advice about getting the biggest tank possible, please consider how potentially overwhelming things can get to brand new mind. I would go with that 75 or something a tax smaller if cost permits. Make sure you enjoy the hobby before you go spending a ton more money on all the necessary equipment for a give tank.

Sk8r
11/23/2010, 10:23 AM
Certain tanks are best for certain species: as a very broad rule, consider under-75-gallons as ideal for species whose adult size does not exceed 4", and particularly for quiet or burrowing species that are shy in the presence of larger fish. Gobies, blennies, the small jawfish, dartfish, and the smaller clown species, etc. If under 4" as an adult, a probable for an under-75. It can also work as a specialty tank for some species.

75-to 100 g can handle many additional species, including the smallest angels and tangs---but with these species LENGTH of tank matters. They need running room. The longer the better, and a corner tank is just too short for them. There are, however, a host of rowdier very-small-fish that work well at this size, including clowns (which are damsels), chromis, small odd species, etc. I had a pair of Clarkii clowns that dominated 50 gallons of a 100 g tank, to give you an idea.

100-up is good for most all commonly kept species, but the bigger the adult, or the more it tends to swim in long bursts, the LONGER the tank needs to be---. You can't keep a linebacker or distance-runner in a closet longterm. Just doesn't work.

Any of these tanks can be a reef, and corals grow and spread far faster than most people think: like weeds, in some instances. BUT! lighting matters, and it is far more expensive to light a long tank than a short one. Circulation matters. Live rock is expensive, and honestly, you're better using base rock and just a little live rock on top. Takes longer to cycle, but costs a fraction of what live rock does.

cdeboard
11/23/2010, 10:27 AM
I think the 75 is a perfect beginner size. The 75g mark opens up your options for fish a little but isnt too big to be overwhelming. The 18" thickness is great for aquascaping. I think it will be perfect for you.

McFarland4600
11/23/2010, 10:31 AM
Thank you all for the information its really nice to see a alot of helping hands out there willing to give there opinion and thoughts. I have had the 75 gal for a bout 2 years and all i have had in it was a pair of bearded dragons and its still in really good condition. I dont have any of the equipment yet i have a really close friend that might sell me some of his stuff from his 125 at a really good price, is it ok to use second hand equipment?

spieszak
11/23/2010, 10:39 AM
Second hand equipment is fine if you know what you are getting and who you are getting it from, AND you understand that it may be close or near the end of its useful life cycle. Why is your friend getting rid of his equipment? If its an upgrade that makes sense, but if your friend had bad luck with the setup, chances are you will too. Check reviews on the equipment and prices. Remember, an extra few dollars now could save you a LOT of cash and heartbreak in the future.

Burghboy
11/23/2010, 01:03 PM
I was gifted a 55 but wish it were a 75, go with the 75 you will thank yourself while aquascaping. Actually now that I think about it I wish my 55 was a 180 but that is a story for another time.

seapug
11/23/2010, 01:18 PM
40 Breeder and standard 75 are good sizes I'd recommend for someone who wants to give reefing a shot. Both have good dimensions and are small enough to properly light without investing a princely sum.

I do understand jeff@zina.com's point, but it's not always practical to "go big" for a hobby you might not find appeals to you in a year or two.

GT3
11/23/2010, 01:20 PM
I started 20G, less than $300 spent in total. Half the cost on live rocks.

I never had 75G and will never want. It's too big for my house and very hard to transport.

Max I personally would go is 20G, because I keep only small fishes, and you will spend less than something bigger.

panhandler01
11/23/2010, 01:35 PM
I think a 75 is a good starter tank also. Keep in mind though that if you get hooked on reefing (and you probably will!) you're going to want to go larger in the future. It's alot like 1-foot-itis with boat owners. I started with a 55 (and still have it) and in hindsight wish that I had started with at least a 75. The reason I like the 75 is because, as stated above, the larger the tank the easier to keep water parameters stable BUT at a higher cost. A 75 gal. tank shouldn't require a mortgage refinance to properly equip though. Good luck on your endeavor and my advice is to read everything you can get your hands on before you start - including this forum. If there's a local marine aquarium club in your area - join it.

Radar1
11/23/2010, 01:44 PM
I have changed tank sizes and livestock choices alot since I started about 6 years ago. I have wasted way more money in upgradig than I would have if I had just taken some time and spent some money on nice equipment form the get go. look at a ton of member tanks see what equipment, bulbs, filtration people are running on your favorites and go from there.

travis32
11/23/2010, 01:45 PM
I agree with Lord of the reef! sentiments:
"For all of you giving advice about getting the biggest tank possible, please consider how potentially overwhelming things can get to brand new mind."

I purchased and had delivered this past Sunday and setup for me a previously setup 125g tank. As the previous owner was setting it up he said, "see yah" jokingly that he was leaving. You have any idea what it would have been like to have all the equipment for a 125g just dumped off at my house and figure it out from scratch? That's with the equipment already there.

Now multiply that anxiety with the anxiety to have to find and purchase the equipment to start with, then figure out allt he plumbing and buy all that stuff, the lighting, etc, etc, etc.. I would have been overwhelmed enough to not even attempt it.

As it was, it is full of water and should start cycling in a couple days, thanks to the previous owner spending about 4 hours of his time to help me set it up. He was awesome and showed me how everything worked and then left me to fill it with sand, rock, water, etc.

So, for a new person just getting into it. Take your time. Listen to the advice, find the equipment you would like, figure out your budget, then do some searches on craigs list and local reef clubs if you can.

Just as an example I got a good HOB skimmer I'm still using on my 55 for $50.00. Retail for the identical skimmer at Petco is $299.00.

I talked to a guy this weekend that has a overflow for a non-drilled tank, he was looking for someone to just give it to. Those overflows are over $120.00 for good ones brand new. He was wanting to give it away free.

Figure out what you want / need in terms of equipment. Then get to spending time online. Unless your budget is bottomless, then go buy all brand new.. Most people don't have bottomless budgets. We just wish we did. ;)

jeff@zina.com
11/23/2010, 01:49 PM
...is it ok to use second hand equipment?

I have a tank where the only new thing on it was the replacement lamp. :)

Know what you're looking for and at, used is the best way to pick up the top of the line stuff at affordable prices. Used crap is still just crap.

Jeff

McFarland4600
11/23/2010, 02:56 PM
can some help me out with picking out the proper equipment for a 75 like a list of prices and equipment or recomendations for equipment please.

kduen
11/23/2010, 03:13 PM
Thats all really going to depend on what you want to have in your tank. Soft corals with a few fish wont be as expensive or wont need as much equipment as a full SPS reef would.

Sk8r
11/23/2010, 03:23 PM
For the basics, I'd recommend a sump setup: this will require (since I assumed the 75 is not pre-drilled for a reef, and you're not anxious to do that) a hang-on downflow box, an additional tank (abt 20 gallon) below, which will hold your return pump, heater, and skimmer. A skimmer like an Aqua C 120 could handle a 75 nicely. (Skimmers are the surf of a marine tank: they extract waste from the water). You'll be happier if you partition the sump into a downflow area, a skimmer area, a heater area, and the return pump area. If you have room for a 30 gallon tank down below and could do 20 gallons of fuge, (refugium) you'd be well-set. You'll need an autotopoff pump and float to keep your salinity even. You'll need a return pump; you'll need 60 lbs of base rock, 75 lbs of aragonite sand and 10 lbs of live rock. And lights. Lights determine what you can keep---corals and clams require better light than fish, who generally don't care if they're brightly lit. But corals and clams 'eat' light: they photosynthesize. DOn't be spooked of them: many are easy to grow if given good water and the right light. Just like houseplants: if you keep them under good light and pay attention to their needs (in the case of corals, for supplemental calcium and good water balance) you get nice-looking ones. And since fish dearly love the conditions that also support corals, you'll have happy fishes too.

Re used equipment: check out the brand and model on RC. We'll tell you. If it's white with deposits, just run it in white vinegar overnight, and it'll sparkle like new. But be sure that any tank you get has NEVER been used with copper: copper kills marine life, and is hard to get out once a tank has ever had it.

Radar1
11/23/2010, 04:16 PM
What equipment to buy is really up to you, everyone here will give you different input. My recommendation is get the best stuff you can afford and these days people here on RC, your local craigslist, local forums are selling tons of top notch equipment for ridiculously low prices. I would look around.

I personally recommend the Berlin method. Look it up, It is simple, less equipment, no refugium to light or keep clean. I keep all types of corals with this method and I don’t do anything to my tank. I would recommend that you put timers on your lights ( over 7-8hours a day and you will see more nuisance algae growth ) and get an auto top off. I know too many guys who dont top off regularly and have a lot of problems.

As far as lighting goes you should be able to keep anything you want with T5's and still keep your operational cost lower. I recommend something strong enough to keep SPS. I've had great growth from both softies and lps under strong lighting and never had a problem with it being too much light.

scottsdale454ss
11/23/2010, 05:49 PM
i wish i wouldve started with a 5 or 10 gallon. It makes everything alot easier, and cheaper. you dont need any fancy filters or skimmers because all you have to do is water changes, and you wont have to go to the lfs and hump 10 gallons of water home every week.

The cost of rock to fill the tank was one thing i was surprised about.

floydie83
11/23/2010, 06:19 PM
Agreed with something around 75. Good in my experience.

travis32
11/23/2010, 07:39 PM
Don't forget water filtration! can't believe no one mentioned it (even me.. LOL)

DO NOT USE Tap water. Some people get away with it, but most standards for human drinking water is not equal to oceanic conditions. Get a good RODI - Reverse Osmosis Dionization unit. This is like the life blood of your aquarium. You will save yourself some nuisance algae, cyano (pest bacteria that can take over a tank if too many nutrients) and so on can result in tap water with too many nutrients. Not to mention chlorine and ammonia are toxic - poisonous to fish and corals that can exist in tap water.

They're easy to install, and easy to use. I have no plumbing experience and I had mine installed in under 10 minutes! Most reputable sellers will let you know what you need and are willing to spend time with you installing the unit..

bigtank
11/23/2010, 07:58 PM
I started out with a 70 in high school, never really had the money to do it right. IMO, if you have maybe $5k to put into this, you can start out with your 75. It costs a lot of money to equip and stock a tank that size. I put probably $4k into that old 70.

You've gotten good replies so far. Most people would agree that you want the right equipment from day one. It costs a lot more to buy poor-quality stuff and then upgrade to better products later. People do this all the time. I've had two stints in the reefkeeping world, first the 70, then a 12g nano cube for a while, and I will definitely go with solid gear next time.

Before you begin to set your tank up, get a good RO/DI unit. It will probably save you an algae catastrophe down the road. All the filtration equipment in the world will not make up for bad source water, most tap water is crap for a reef tank. I would also get your tank drilled and install a real overflow if possible. I've heard a lot of people complain about the siphon overflows and some wind up drilling later on.

More than money or equipment, you need information, which is why you're here now. Ask away as much as possible. IMO the right info is key to success in this hobby.