PDA

View Full Version : Quarantine Tank Filtration

mnowicki
11/23/2010, 04:12 PM
Hey guys,

I'm in the process of setting up a quarantine tank. I'm about 3-4 weeks in on cycling my DT and figured it was about time to set up the quarantine, get it running for a few days, and purchase/quarantine my first fish for a few weeks, just in time for my cycle to finish in my main DT.

I plan on quarantying all my fish and future corals so whatever filtration method I choose has to be sufficient for both. Also i plan on taking the QT down if I don't have any nearterm plans on buying livestock.

The questions:
Since you can not rely on a biological filter in a QT due to it being most likely wiped out if you start medicating, what kind of filtration is best to do in the HOB filter? Is sponge sufficient? Is running carbon with a filter pad better (as long as the medication has no issue with carbon)? With whatever type of filtration is most effective how often are water changes necessary, or other maintenance?

Thanks in advance for your help.

mnowicki
11/23/2010, 04:17 PM
Also what do you guys think of something like the Fluval U series in tank filters vs. a standard HOB filter? I was thinking it may be a good idea for quarantying corals since you can control flow/currents in the tank to a certain extent vs. a standard HOB which just trickles water into your tank. But I think you can only run a sponge for filtration... not sure if this would be sufficient.

Sk8r
11/23/2010, 04:17 PM
Just run a simple floss carbon air-driven filter: I use cheap floss and wrap it around a little activated carbon, use and toss. Test daily, don't overfeed, and you're fine. If you have to medicate, use only floss. You must test salinity daily: it will rise. Keep feeding it fresh water to keep it even: mark a fill line with tape on your qt that represents a perfect 1.024 salinity; and do NOT share nets between qt and display tanks! That should keep you in good shape. I recommend a qt logbook in which you write results: keeps you on the straight and narrow.

Sk8r
11/23/2010, 04:19 PM
Don't quarantine corals: dip them. Coral RX is a good product. Fish have to be quarantined, because of burrowing parasites and bacterial problems. What afflicts corals is a different set of pests.

mnowicki
11/23/2010, 04:35 PM
interesting didn't know that its not worth quarantying corals, thanks a lot sk8r.

Indymann99
11/23/2010, 04:55 PM
+1 on the tape waterline. Just add top off water each day back up to the taped line and your SG will stay constant.

I run a simple sponge filter on a power head.

NOT overfeeding and weekly or greater WC keep Am in check.

I use an Ammonia "Badge" to continuously monitor

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn10/Indymann99/QTTankcloseup.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn10/Indymann99/QTinMixRm.jpg

Jstdv8
11/23/2010, 05:08 PM
fwiw QTing a coral would be more reliable than a dip, jsut not as easy to pull off.
you need good lighting, and good filtration on your Qt to QT corals, but really it is far more reliable to Qt them for 6 weeks (basically all this is is a seperate frag tank) and know that ich and other fish parasites are dead due to having no fish to host.
The dip at that point after the 6 weeks is up is still a good idea for other pests like redbugs, worms, nudis ect.
Just my opinion.

Sk8r
11/23/2010, 05:27 PM
Jstdv8, that is so: that's the absolutely best solution, if you can establish a big enough operation to do it. If you are aiming at a big reef, it is a very good investment. Also---be very careful of your sources. And a close observation of your corals with a magnifying glass is a good thing too!

rebelson
11/23/2010, 11:10 PM
I use a small HOB filter. Works like a charm.

Jstdv8
11/24/2010, 02:14 AM
Jstdv8, that is so: that's the absolutely best solution, if you can establish a big enough operation to do it. If you are aiming at a big reef, it is a very good investment. Also---be very careful of your sources. And a close observation of your corals with a magnifying glass is a good thing too!

can you actually see ich with a magnifying glass? or are you just refering to other parasites?

Rockys_Pride
11/24/2010, 02:24 AM
At one of the stages of Ich's life, you can see it without a magnifying glass.

Phoenix912
11/24/2010, 06:47 AM
Hello

I'm also getting a quarantine tank.

is a small skimmer that is useful? oxigene this water at least!

sorry I translated with google ;-)

jeff@zina.com
11/24/2010, 07:37 AM
I run a simple sponge filter on a power head.

Same here. In fact, except for a LED thermometer and larger PVC fittings, my QT tank looks almost the same as Indyman99's does. :)

Jeff

Indymann99
11/24/2010, 09:51 AM
Oh and if you are going to QT jumpers... the eggcrate cover wont cut it.. :thumbdown

I have read threads of fish getting through eggcrate.. I figured impossible... last week I got a replacement Goby.. I DID take some extra precautions and covered a couple of gaps in my cover that were bigger than 1/2 inch.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn10/Indymann99/2010-11-14_08-08-46_276.jpg

And much to my surprize I found this the next morning... :hmm3:

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn10/Indymann99/2010-11-14_08-08-23_246.jpg

I would NEVER have figured it possible for a fish that size to get through that top... but sure enough found him right there prob a couple of hrs dried up...

iwishtofish
11/24/2010, 10:48 AM
Any of you QT more than one fish at a time, or is that bad practice?

Jstdv8
11/24/2010, 12:29 PM
you can QT more than one fish at a time as long as they will get along and you watch your ammonia. the more fish you add the more waste they produce..

RBU1
11/24/2010, 12:34 PM
Don't quarantine corals: dip them. Coral RX is a good product. Fish have to be quarantined, because of burrowing parasites and bacterial problems. What afflicts corals is a different set of pests.

If I understand this correctly.....Buy different set of pests you are refering to flatworms and the like....

There is always a chance when you add anything wet to your tank that you could introduce a parasite. CoralX...or any coral dip will not kill parasites as I understand it. That is why some people "lets call them anal" QT everything.

I am one of those anal people........I will not add anything wet to my tank that has not been thru QT. I have not added a coral, invert or anything to my tank since the 10 week fallow period but QT'd fish......

RBU1
11/24/2010, 12:38 PM
Having an established QT is important. You want a filter that offers biological filtration such as an Aquaclear or Emperor hang on filter. I leave the bio wheels in my main tank to seed them with bacteria then move them over and set up the QT a few weeks before I will be getting a fish.