PDA

View Full Version : pulsing xenia dieing

judgedread
11/24/2010, 04:59 AM
hi

hope someone can throw a little light on why the normally aggressive growing xenia i have is shriveling up and not extending
even to the point i see the odd polyp break off and float around my tank!
there is no other corals around that can sting it either as it is on a rock all on its own.

i have a mixed reef with sps coloured up nicley as well as lps and softies ect all of which are thriving in a tank that has low nutrient
and zero nitrate and 0.02 p04 on the hanna.

my pom pom zenia is doing really well but the pulsing type that most people cant get rid of and is a nuisance in some tanks is fadeing.:confused:

thanx for any help

60G
11/24/2010, 08:42 PM
what colour is your xenias. if they are blue and not pink thats really bad and if the polyp are falling off its to far gone.:sad2:

judgedread
11/26/2010, 02:13 AM
hi

i found out what the problem is.

its due to the low nutrients in my tank.

which is why my sps are booming and colored up.

this why xenia thrive in high nutrient tanks.

kookie_guy
11/26/2010, 11:48 AM
xenia is one of those things that you either do well (and then it becomes a problem because it's like a weed) or it just melts down.

My tank grows blue xenia very fast and well, even after harvesting and selling off frags, the spots where I cut from grow new stalks. I put a few frags into my buddy's tank, and they all melted away.

kameleon23
11/26/2010, 03:37 PM
hi

my pom pom zenia is doing really well but the pulsing type that most people cant get rid of and is a nuisance in some tanks is fadeing.:confused:

thanx for any help

My pulsing zenias did really well until i got the nutrients in my tank down to a minimum. From what others have said, and from what i have read and experienced is that its just a good sign that your water is finally achieving pristine/near prisine conditions.

thebanker
12/15/2010, 03:29 PM
I'm having a xenia meltdown after over a year of it flourishing in my tank.

Sg 1.025
Ca 380ppm - 400ppm average
Alk 6.5 dkh - 7 dkh average
NO3 undetectable (API)
PO4 undetectable (API)
Temp 80
4x54w T5 on for 10 hours/day

Any ideas?

l3leedingstar
12/16/2010, 12:17 PM
I've heard of alot of people buying xenia instead of a ph meter. So def. Check your ph that's ushually the case. I bought 2 frags that withered away then someone told me this I fixed the ph and now it grows like a weed!

thebanker
12/16/2010, 05:16 PM
My pH is 7.8 ... I don't think that's indicative of anything really. I'm just suffering the same xenia crash so many other hobbyists face. It's a shame because it's really a beautiful coral.

thebanker
12/16/2010, 05:18 PM
And I may be wrong here, but I just don't buy the "water too clean" thing. Wouldn't that mean the Red Sea has water high in N/P?

l3leedingstar
12/16/2010, 06:15 PM
Well there's alot of different factors that it could be... But ph is def. A killer of xenia... I don't think it should get below 8.1 or the xenia wont be happy. Just trying to help google xenia not pulsing or dying you will read ph has alottt to do with this coral in particular.
Good luck pin pointing the problem!

wireefman
12/17/2010, 01:32 AM
xenia has thrived then thinned out then come back then thinned out for me.... constant cycle...

jeff@zina.com
12/17/2010, 02:13 PM
Wouldn't that mean the Red Sea has water high in N/P?

In many areas, yes. :)

Jeff