PDA

View Full Version : New Equipment or Methods for Acrylic Tank Coralline scraping???

TomToro
11/24/2010, 12:08 PM
I have a 240 8' tank that grows coralline on the front like you've never seen. I use a Magnavore 6 and doby pad everyday and scrape with a Kent superscraper 24" once a week and I can't keep up with it. The viewing surface is getting smaller every week and this stuff is like concrete. Here's a list of things I've tried:

Kent Super Scraper w/plastic blade-can't get enough pressure to remove it
"" w/metal blade-gouges the acrylic immediately
Window scrapers-not sharp enough
Credit cards (can't get low enough)They dull quickly
Magnavore 6-not enough pressure
Plastic paint scrapers-They dull immediately
Changing salt from RC to Oceanic to IO

I don't dose anything and do 40gal water changes bi monthly. My mag is 1200, calcium is around 380-400, PH around 8, Alk around 9.
Lighting:8x54w T5 and 2x 165wVHO

Q:Can somebody suggest a better or different way to:
A:Reduce the amount of coralline I produce or
B:Come up with a way to scrape this stuff more efficiently?

Thanks for any help. I'm almost at the point of replacing it with a glass 240, but that's my last resort and about a grand.

Tom

tkeracer619
11/25/2010, 10:39 AM
I have used the glass blades on acrylic and they work fine BUT you have to use them on a glass tank to dull them a bit and bend up the edges.

You are already doing what you can to solve the issue.

Coraline seems to grow on acrylic much easier then on glass. I think you already know what my suggestion would be.

One option prior to changing to glass would be to increase your light.

TomToro
11/27/2010, 10:28 AM
Thanks for the help, TK!

You said to increase the light. My T5 bulbs are getting near the end of life and my VHO actinics are ancient. How would increasing my light help the coralline plague? Does it feed on certain spectrums or intensity (lack of)?

And yeah, I agree with your suggestion. What a job that would be. It's an in wall tank and I'd have to re-open drywall and studs. Not out of the question, though. I'm getting frustrated.

I have used the glass blades on acrylic and they work fine BUT you have to use them on a glass tank to dull them a bit and bend up the edges.

You are already doing what you can to solve the issue.

Coraline seems to grow on acrylic much easier then on glass. I think you already know what my suggestion would be.

One option prior to changing to glass would be to increase your light.

solitude127
11/27/2010, 10:31 AM
Thinking completely out of the box.....
Dose Vodka. IME, when I dosed vodka, I had a lot less coraline algae.

rkaires
11/27/2010, 10:55 AM
The Algae Dozer pad works great on coralline algae.

http://www.mightymagnets.com/pads.htm

kmu
11/27/2010, 11:33 AM

Those look nice, anyone tried them before?

I got a Great White Algae Free Magnet on a 3/4" acrylic tank and would like to get the best pad for it to clean the acrylic and avoid scratching it...

6pack4me
11/27/2010, 11:38 AM
hate to say it but glass is the only way to go!

TomToro
11/27/2010, 11:44 AM
Thinking completely out of the box.....
Dose Vodka. IME, when I dosed vodka, I had a lot less coraline algae.

Not so out of the box. I dose Vodka/Bacter7 in the glass 135 and rarely scrape coralline. I always thought it was just the acrylic. Maybe that's the answer. I tried it once in there and burned the crap out of my lps, but I think my alk was too high. I might give that a shot. All I have in there are lots of fish, some anemones and softies. Good one!

TomToro
11/27/2010, 11:45 AM

I've never seen these before. Are they better than the dobie pads? I'm willing to take a chance. Thanks.

TomToro
11/27/2010, 12:21 PM

I ordered the Dozer and the sleeve. If this works, I'll be amazed. I'll be putting them on a Magnavore 6.

cakemanPA
11/27/2010, 02:16 PM
Mr Clean Magic Eraser - Original only. Works like a charm

TomToro
12/06/2010, 09:57 AM

O.k., Bob, you da man! The Dozer works...well. I just tried it on my back covered coralline and with about a dozen swipes it cleared about a 4" x 4" completely with no scratching. Going to take some initial hours to clear the whole thing and I bought 4 of these in case they wear out, but it's going to be great spot cleaning when needed.

You saved me lots of money and work (was going to go glass). Not to mention potential fish deaths (lots of big old fish in there) with the changeover. Thanks!

Thanks for the help, Folks!

rkaires
12/06/2010, 06:05 PM
O.k., Bob, you da man! The Dozer works...well. I just tried it on my back covered coralline and with about a dozen swipes it cleared about a 4" x 4" completely with no scratching. Going to take some initial hours to clear the whole thing and I bought 4 of these in case they wear out, but it's going to be great spot cleaning when needed.

You saved me lots of money and work (was going to go glass). Not to mention potential fish deaths (lots of big old fish in there) with the changeover. Thanks!

Thanks for the help, Folks!

Your welcome!

sandman111
12/06/2010, 07:02 PM
actinics make coraline grow. I run vho's and it grows like crazy!

kmu
12/07/2010, 12:00 AM
Mr Clean Magic Eraser - Original only. Works like a charm

So its reef safe???

sabodish
12/07/2010, 07:52 AM
i have been using the mighty magnets for 5 years now..they are awesome. that algae dozer pad works very well on coralline. The edge does dull over time, so you will need to re sharpen it with fine sandpaper about 2-3 times a year. after i re sharpen mine, its a night and day difference.

TomToro
12/07/2010, 08:38 AM
i have been using the mighty magnets for 5 years now..they are awesome. that algae dozer pad works very well on coralline. The edge does dull over time, so you will need to re sharpen it with fine sandpaper about 2-3 times a year. after i re sharpen mine, its a night and day difference.

Which Mighty mag do you have? I'm using a magnavore 6 and think I need more pressure to get the really packed on coralline that's been on there for years. I have a 1/2" acrylic.

How do you re-sharpen it with sand paper? Sand paper on the desk and move the doser or the opposite?

Thanks

sabodish
12/07/2010, 12:05 PM
i think i have the F-2. im using it on 3/4" acrylic and it works great. very strong.

to resharpen, i just lay the sandpaper on the table, and rub the plastic scraper part over the sandpaper, kind of like sharpening a knife with a stone.