PDA

View Full Version : Apex acting buggy.....keeps dying

James77
11/24/2010, 08:43 PM
Ok. The controller has been running perfectly for a couple months, and nothing has changed as far as wiring or programs. I had HVAC people here today wrapping up a new boiler, so the power was killed at the breaker panel.

I did not know at the time, but the system never restarted. iw ent down cellar and checked all GFIs, they were fine. I the pulled the EB8 plug, plugged it in, and everything restarted.

When I got home again after a couple hours, it was all dead again. i cannot get it to restart, and the HU was blank most the time. I tried reloading the firmware, now it is just starting and dying on its own. The HU screen is also just blank blue.

Ugh. Any ideas?

aquamanic
11/25/2010, 07:46 AM
I'm not clear from your post - Were you successful in reloading the firmware AND the web pages and what version are you loading?

James77
11/25/2010, 08:29 AM
It seemed to load succesfully last night...version 4.04- but I still received no response last night.

This morning it seems to be back up to normal? The screen is back and the lights can be controlled, as are the Tunzes. The display is also responsive, whereas last night when I could actually use it, it was extremely slow in responding or just not responding at all.

Its great that it seems back to normal, but Id love to know what caused it, as it makes me trust it alot less.....

IDK what the reboot time is on the thing, but looking at the the data log it showa nothing between 8am and 4pm as well as 8pm to 1:30 this morning, with a couple 20 minute chunks here and there.

JG1
11/25/2010, 08:22 PM
Mine is acting buggy too.

Keeps dying.

Not sure what to do....

PurpleMonster
11/25/2010, 08:50 PM
yea mine is actually blank screen right now :( and its not in my list of modules when i pull it up in the modules list(web browser) i can still control it but it sucks taht i cant see the the status anymore. I was looking at the HU on neptunes website and they go for 100+ dollars. I was going to buy one of the EB4's jsut to ad a bit more to the system but now i dont know if neptunes sys will be able to help me wkth this.... crossing my fingers that i get a response tomorrow or monday hopefully.

Happy thanks giving everyone :)

James77
11/27/2010, 01:49 PM
Mine has now been running fine sice it seemed to correct itself after that one night. I can only guess that maybe the firmware got corrupted by the sudden power interuption?

Im going to shoot Curt an email and see if he thinks it was just a one time thing or not....

NeverlosT
11/30/2010, 01:25 PM
Jim, I think everyones APEX's went a little bananas in that timeframe. I know mine went crazy but I thought it was due to the daylight savings time switch. It kept bringing down my home network, would crash whenever I tried to show graphs, and was generally unruly (although it never caused any MAJOR tank problems, thank god, and I have it running just about everything).

I am in Wakefield, RI, and another APEX user Gardiner is in Newport, we both updated to the newest beta firmware and I have had no problems since then.

Toss me a PM if you are ever further south in RI and want to tank tour, are you part of boston reefers? Hope the controller has returned to sanity...

James77
11/30/2010, 02:35 PM
Yes sir, i am part of Boston Reefers under this same name....although not exactly good with going to meetings and such :o, hopefully find more time for it this winter.

I think I had the most recent beta firmware on it when this happened, but I still reloaded it anyways. It took till the next morning to work itself out though.

I emailed back and forth with Curt from Neptune several times over this. He had me copy and paste some diagnostic info, and determined it was fine. it was most likely a power surge and/or the sudden interruption of power from the HVAC guys that did something. The Apex was fine before it and has been perfectly working since. Curt also recommended a surge protector on these. As always, Curt gets a thumbs up on quick email repsonses and service, even on the weekends :).