PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer that comes with Solana any good?

piscivorous
11/24/2010, 11:44 PM
I am just researching the Solana 34 and it seems I've read that some folks are adding aftermarket protein skimmers to their systems. Is the one that comes with the Solana system not any good?

creefer01
11/25/2010, 07:31 AM
My stock skimmer works ok. The quality leaves something to be desired though. If you have the extra cash, the Tunze is well respected by many Solana owners. It requires modifications however to put it in the first chamber. You could do a youtube search. I believe there's a video there that shows the required modification. Essentially, the magnet needs to be removed and you may have to either grind the collection cup or buy the InTank cup from media baskets.

HTH

piscivorous
11/25/2010, 10:07 AM
I was leaning towards the Solana over the BioCube thinking that the Solana was of higher quality and would be about the same price by the time you paid for a skimmer for the BioCube. If one has to buy an aftermarket skimmer for the Solana one might as well just go with the BioCube.........

Neoz
11/25/2010, 10:51 AM
I have the 25 gallon Solana and just replaced my original skimmer with the Tunze 9002. Much better results then the original skimmer. How much of a bioload do you plan on having?

creefer01
11/26/2010, 07:53 AM
I don't know that you need to replace the stock Solana skimmer until you have a large enough bioload to justify it IMO. I am looking at mods to mine. I may drill small holes in the stock impeller blades or do a mesh mod to see if I can get more bubble production. As is, I pull pretty good thick skimmate and have one ric, a few zoas, and a true percula.

piscivorous
11/26/2010, 10:54 PM
I was thinking of setting up a Solana to transfer my Percula clowns and cleaner shrimp over to and setting it up with an anemone eventually, leaving my current 55 gal. setup to be used for two dwarf lionfish I'd like to obtain. So it would not have a huge bioload....