PDA

View Full Version : Dying Yellow Eye Tang any advice?

bigdoug
11/25/2010, 07:25 PM
Well i had 30hrs with no mechanical filtration, and now it seems my Yellow eye Tangs is not going to make it. Has been in the tank for 2 weeks, no issues and ate well. Earlier today, had some small white spots, tonight looks as though its skin is peeling off, and it is starting the sideways swim. Is there anything that can be done or is it a gonner? :furious: all parameters check out good.

89Foxbody
11/25/2010, 10:34 PM
Skin peeling off? Sounds like Velvet.

Is he completely listless to the point where he can't even do anything? If there's any hope for him whatsoever you could try to freshwater dip him, it will cause some of the parasites to slough off. I hope you have a QT tank set up?

bigdoug
11/26/2010, 08:22 PM
yeah tried the freshwater dip and placed in the QT, didnt make it. It lasted about 26hrs, quit eating and went sleep for good. It was the only fish that was affected when without the filter running. 2 clowns and 2 gobies have no signs of anything. are tangs that susceptible to infection from stress? if not than i am at a loss....

reef100
11/26/2010, 09:47 PM
how big is your tank? 125? i know you said parameters were good, but did you double check incase there may have been a false reading?

anyway, bummer, sorry for your loss.

89Foxbody
11/27/2010, 12:08 AM
Tangs are susceptible to parasites because their slime coat is not nearly as thick as most other fish. This is because they swim hundreds of miles daily in pursuit of good grazing areas. So their slime coat is thinner to reduce friction as they swim through the water. That's why they are crypt magnets.

bigdoug
11/27/2010, 06:40 AM
yes checked everything more than once no changes, DT is 125g, QT is 30g long. as stated the other 4 fish are showing no signs of anything, active and feeding well. think i am going to give it a while b4 trying another tang. hate losing fish, they are my prized pets. thanks for the input.