PDA

View Full Version : cleaner shrimp-yes or no?

Megatrev62
11/27/2010, 12:52 AM
Really like to have some cleaner shrimp but from what Ive been reading I cant really justify them. Can anyone give me your opinion as to why they sholud be in your tank other than for looks. No need to go into species of fish and so on that they should not be with, I just want to know if Ill be wasting my money? Thanks again

mscarpena
11/27/2010, 07:54 AM
Dont do it if you have a reef tank. Fish only if you like the way they look why not. Its really up to you if you like them or not. Are they going to rid your fish of parasites absolutely not. In a 1:1,000,000 case them picking a few parasites off a fish may mean the difference of life in death in your tank, but not a deal breaker.

theROYSKIE
11/28/2010, 02:52 PM
Dont do it if you have a reef tank.

i am interested to know y you would not recommend a cleaner shrimp in a reef tank? i have had cleaners in my reefs for over ten years... never noticed negative impact from the shrimp being present. i have had them in soft, lps and sps reefs w no problem. i constantly observe them cleaning my fish. they do not have parasites but they clean off dead or dying tissue and other hanger-ons. IMO they are also a great addition to any reef cleaning brigade and eat any left overs. I love my cleaner shrimp and couldnt imagine one of my reefs complete without them. but that is just me.

however if u have a sea hare they will kill it.

spieszak
11/28/2010, 03:02 PM
I've vowed to post this on cleaner shrimp questions because when I researched them, I didn't find anything that said it.. but I had a cleaner harass a RBTA to near death, picking at the food that stuck to his tentacles. I seem to be the only one to have ever posted a bad experience with that, but FWIW, I thought I'd share...

Gill_bucket
11/28/2010, 04:25 PM
I've vowed to post this on cleaner shrimp questions because when I researched them, I didn't find anything that said it.. but I had a cleaner harass a RBTA to near death, picking at the food that stuck to his tentacles. I seem to be the only one to have ever posted a bad experience with that, but FWIW, I thought I'd share...

I had the same experienced mine would also take food from my bubble coral :mad2:

hebsway
11/28/2010, 04:58 PM
I have 2 cleaner shrimp and 1 fire shrimp in my 180 with a large RBTA and 3 bubble corals. No troubles for me

iamwhatiam52
11/28/2010, 06:47 PM
Really like to have some cleaner shrimp Then get one silly!

why they sholud be in your tank other than for looks Thanks again Isn't that reason enough?

They are beautiful, active, don't hide much, easy to keep, interesting, great scavengers, you want one............... Just get one.

Megatrev62
11/28/2010, 07:46 PM
ok I' m going to give a couple a try. Drip accimation I would imagine?

Megatrev62
11/28/2010, 07:48 PM
ok I' m going to give a couple a try. Drip acclimation I would imagine?

theROYSKIE
11/28/2010, 11:08 PM
Drip acclimation I would imagine?

i would

theROYSKIE
11/28/2010, 11:12 PM
ime a pair do better than a single :love2: u wont regret the purchase. they add a great dynamic to the ecosytem

nygiants72
11/29/2010, 12:03 AM
They are really nice in color and personality. They do provide some cleaning for fishes; however, I think after being in an aquarium, they don't clean the fishes. Thats what I have noticed.

Megatrev62
11/29/2010, 01:11 AM
Thanks to all.

snorvich
11/29/2010, 11:04 AM
Actually, I have them in all of my aquaria with no issues. They do NOT clean parasites, but the fish that like being cleaned (not all do) enjoy them.

therman
12/07/2010, 07:46 AM
I've kept them for many years, both the skunk and fire shrimp. I never saw a fish cleaned by them until recently. Fire shrimp clean my starry blenny occasionally, and skunks cleaned my new flame angel like crazy the first few days I had it.

As for pros/cons...they are very cool to watch, and do a good job of picking up uneaten pellets and other food that is left by the fish. Fire shrimp seem the least destructive when it comes to other inverts, skunks eat the occasional stomatella, peppermints will annihilate stomatellas and some other small useful critters.

Blackhawk708
12/11/2010, 05:45 PM
Mine comes to the top of the tank with the fish when I feed and will eat out of my hand. Also likes to jump on board when I'm cleaning the tank and pick at any dead skin around my nails.

Only bad thing is I have to guard my rose for about 10 minutes if I feed it some mysis. Even if it looks like he has the food all the way in, the pesky little shrimp will dig through the tentacles and pull it out of its stomach.

JTR0510
12/11/2010, 08:11 PM
i have skunk and blood shrimp in our 300g they do add alot to a reef setup and my blue tang an vlamingi tang love them its itnereting to watch

JMregan
12/17/2010, 01:02 PM
I love ym cleaner shrimp. It i alwways in the open and active. I have even caught it riding my tang around the tank while cleaning it. I think the most fun I have with my cleaner is i can stick my hand in the water, right below the surface, and he will swim up and walk on my hand.

JMregan
12/17/2010, 01:04 PM
I forgot to post this in teh last post. There is a downside to my cleaner and fire shrimp as they will dig food out of my LPS mouths when I feed. I have to cover the corals when feeding them to keep the shrimp out. I also have a Coral Banded shrimp and he does not do this

mojorizn
12/17/2010, 01:12 PM
I'll second the fact that they steal food from corals.

I just give them a nice fat piece of shrimp to work on while I target feed. Keeps em busy and outta trouble.

Frogmanx82
12/17/2010, 06:13 PM
Blood shrimp are very different from skunks. Skunks fly all over the tank and tend to be more troublesome when it comes to stealing food. Blood shrimp/Fire Shrimp tend to find a home and not venture far. I give him a little bit of algae wafer and don't have to worry about any stealing. Skunk cleaners are more fun to watch though the blood shrimp are more colorful.

Kweli
12/20/2010, 09:05 AM
It depends on the size of the tank...

But for me, in my 34G.. i would not recommend a cleaner shrimp.. .and im trying to remove mine..

They just steal from from EVERYTHING. I can spend 10 minutes feeding the shrimp, yet they still run around and steal stuff... litterally OUT of the mouth of some corals..

****es me off and makes it hard to ensure that certain things get fed, like my suncoral or dendro.

I hate them, and dont want them in any of my tanks.

BUUUUT, if you have a massive tank you might not even notice them