PDA

View Full Version : Please Help w/Shaving Brush Care

Reef Shepherd
11/27/2010, 09:25 AM
Can anyone give some advice on how to take care of shaving brush algae? Like placement in the tank, lighting needs. My shaving brushes looks like they're on the way out and I guess I don't know how to take care of them.

jonbry123
11/27/2010, 10:36 AM
Hi Reef,

This particular type of macro algae is in a group which require similar conditions as you would find in a reef tank in that they absorb calcium and other minerals to maintain shape and health. Calcium should be around 400 minimum for long term health. Lighting should be bright about 3watts per gallon for best results. What is happening to it and do you know what your parms are. Also they do best buried in substrate not attached to a rock or other aquarium fare.

Reef Shepherd
11/27/2010, 10:43 AM
Lighting in a 60 gallon tank is 216 watts total, 2 blue 2 white. I don't have any corals and I have no idea what the calcium is. Maybe there is the issue?

The tops are bleaching and the stalks are disintigrating. I do have it "planted" in the substrate.

Thank you for your help Bryan.

jonbry123
11/27/2010, 11:37 AM
Yes lighting is more than adequate so I would guess it could be calcium but no way to know for sure without testing. You're welcome good luck.

Reef Shepherd
12/10/2010, 04:12 PM
I've been adding the calcium and it seems like the remaining shaving brush is getting some color back and regaining health. calcium is 440.

Jmiller1706
05/15/2014, 08:05 AM
They need iron supplements too.

Berta600
04/22/2017, 10:44 AM
Do I need to start adding iron supplements right away or after they have been in a bit? Do you test for iron?

JZinCO
04/27/2017, 09:04 AM
I just want to add that often my shaving brush don't last long (a month?) before they start disintegrating. But then a coupe new shaving brushes pop out of the sand adjacent to the original.

I've had shaving brush for 9 mo now so I think they'll stick around. Just wanted to give you hope in case you see die back..

Ron Reefman
04/28/2017, 04:50 AM
I just want to add that often my shaving brush don't last long (a month?) before they start disintegrating. But then a coupe new shaving brushes pop out of the sand adjacent to the original.

I've had shaving brush for 9 mo now so I think they'll stick around. Just wanted to give you hope in case you see die back..

I've tried a couple that I collected in the Keys many years ago and they didn't make it. But I didn't have the best of tanks and I pulled them rather than let them rot away in the tank.

Now that I have a display refugium and a 65g shallow local reef tank, and with your info about new ones popping up (they do have a good root system (if the word root is correct) I think I'll try again.

Thanks.

lapin
06/08/2018, 12:03 PM
So my sand sifter keeps uprooting my brushes. I have had to move them to another location. One of them has a green cone shaped (new shoot or root?) coming out of the stump. Should I bury this? Will it grow out and then upwards?