PDA

View Full Version : Added too much Phyto-Feast to my 65g system

muppet
11/27/2010, 02:22 PM
55 DT with ~10g sump. I was trying to spike my fuge with some "tigger pods" and I added some Phyto-Feast to make sure they'd have something to munch on in my big ball of chaeto. I shut down the pump and added maybe 30 drops of Phyto-Feast to the fuge (yeah, yeah, too much).

Now, of course, the tank is looking a bit murky. The water is maybe the color of very light olive oil and my snails and other inverts are all going ape (like they do when I add brine or mysis).

Should I do a water change? Parameters look good, including pH:

pH: 8.2
Nitrate: 0
Nitrite: 0
Ammonia: 0
Alk: 180ppm

Fyfer8
11/27/2010, 03:43 PM
Yikes, I hope you're ready to clean algae off your glass for a while... (if this is a type of phytoplankton). I overdosed phytoplankton about 3 weeks ago and I've been scrapping glass every day for 2 weeks now. I bought a UV filter, changed my carbon, and have been doing water changes after cleaning quite a bit. It helps but its been a process. Im looking into algae stoppers, I will post back when i find one with good reviews

clownfreak
11/27/2010, 10:49 PM
Phyto feast is a blend of three different types of phytoplankton. You may have a slight issue with nitrates and phospates, just like if you over dosed any food. It should be fine. If you want to do a waterchange you can. The off colored water is just the phytoplankton you can see. Breeders use a tactic called greenwater where they add enough phytoplankton to larval tanks until it's green (to support rotifer growth). I think phytofeast may have most of the fertilizers removed so you may be OK.