PDA

View Full Version : ID plant please!

GXPKY
11/27/2010, 03:10 PM
Picked this up a few days ago from the LFS, forget the name of it...Thanks in advance!
http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz319/gxpky/Aquarium%20setup/DSCN1502.jpg

GXPKY
11/27/2010, 03:59 PM
I'd seen this plant at the LFS for about a week now and the polyps on it never came out, after a day at home it shed a layer off the outside and opened up with cobalt blue polyps that you see in the picture, anyone know what it is?

demonclownfish
11/27/2010, 04:03 PM
some type of gorgonian. google blueberry gorgonian, that may be it

demonclownfish
11/27/2010, 04:04 PM
o and its not a plant its a coral :)

GXPKY
11/27/2010, 04:05 PM
Gave 20 bucks for it, decent deal? I feed phytoplankton to my tank daily, assuming it may be why it's happier in my tank than the LFS tank.

username in use
11/27/2010, 04:24 PM
Its a gorgonian. That is a really good price for it, however, it needs really specialized care. Phyto is a good start but I would start doing some real reading on it.

Quick google turned up this:

Blueberry Gorgonian Care

This blueberry gorgonian coral is going to need extra special attention if attempted to cultivate in an artificial environment. The water and lighting qualities need to be constantly monitored and strictly followed. Since the blueberry gorgonian is not photosynthetic, only a low or medium level of light will be needed in the tank. The temperature should be set much lower than other gorgonians to mimic the cool water stream that the coral experiences in the deep waters of its native environment. Water qualities should have a temperature between 68 and 79F, a pH value of 8.1-8.4, a sg of 1.023-1.025, and a steady, intense water flow. Blueberry gorgonian feedings should take place very often and consist of a variety of micro organisms, including frozen baby brine shrimp, phyto plankton, marine snow or other recommended foods. Trace elements including iodine, calcium, and strontium are recommended from time to time to supplement the heath of the blueberry gorgonian.

Sk8r
11/27/2010, 04:26 PM
That's not a plant, it's a colonial animal, and needs to be treated as a coral. Google 'gorgonian,' and look it up in wiki.

EdKruzel
11/27/2010, 04:31 PM
As posted it is an animal and not a plant; a Gorgonian from the Pacific it requires a bit more than your phytoplankton. I'd recommend mixing your phyto with oyster eggs and fish roe. The public aquarium in Hawaii has had luck spot feeding their gorgonians with some waste out of a skimmer cup.

Best of luck...

Angel*Fish
11/27/2010, 04:41 PM
Fwiw, what I used to feed mine was frozen Cyclopeeze and and also I ran an artemia hatchery and fed the just hatched nauplii (brine shrimp, aka sea monkeys).

GXPKY
11/27/2010, 08:12 PM
Thanks for the feedback, that's why I asked...I've been supplimenting brine shrimp as well as phyto to my tank. Was unsure of the name of the coral and wanted to know so I could study up on it further. It's beautiful with those blue polyps and the sun coral attached to it was an okay bonus as well.

heckfire
11/27/2010, 08:40 PM
Its a gorgonian. That is a really good price for it, however, it needs really specialized care. Phyto is a good start but I would start doing some real reading on it.

Quick google turned up this:

Blueberry Gorgonian Care

This blueberry gorgonian coral is going to need extra special attention if attempted to cultivate in an artificial environment. The water and lighting qualities need to be constantly monitored and strictly followed. Since the blueberry gorgonian is not photosynthetic, only a low or medium level of light will be needed in the tank. The temperature should be set much lower than other gorgonians to mimic the cool water stream that the coral experiences in the deep waters of its native environment. Water qualities should have a temperature between 68 and 79F, a pH value of 8.1-8.4, a sg of 1.023-1.025, and a steady, intense water flow. Blueberry gorgonian feedings should take place very often and consist of a variety of micro organisms, including frozen baby brine shrimp, phyto plankton, marine snow or other recommended foods. Trace elements including iodine, calcium, and strontium are recommended from time to time to supplement the heath of the blueberry gorgonian.

that sounds like a nitemare to maintain ,,, why would a lfs sell that to anybody,.. makes no sense,, yank a object out of its SPECIALIZED environment and sell it to the casual reefer for a few bucks,,knowing its gonna die the majority of the time

mcosta528
11/27/2010, 08:58 PM
It could be an orange tree gorgonian as well out of the Caribbean... the atinics slightly alter the appearance of the color... here it is on liveaquaria.com http://liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=597+601+1514&pcatid=1514

Angel*Fish
11/27/2010, 09:22 PM
Thanks for the feedback, that's why I asked...I've been supplimenting brine shrimp as well as phyto to my tank. Was unsure of the name of the coral and wanted to know so I could study up on it further. It's beautiful with those blue polyps and the sun coral attached to it was an okay bonus as well.Just to be clear, it needs the smallest brine shrimp possible, like the just hatched. You need to be seeing the polyps closing up on the food and making sure they aren't releasing it because it's too big.

GXPKY
11/28/2010, 06:03 PM
I know he gets his LR out of the Caribbean, not sure where this came from, but seems to be doing pretty well so far. I don't mind spot feeding, I study my butt off and do what it takes to maintain my tank and the inhabitants of it. I am setting up a tank to grow my own brine shrimp tomorrow and have been buying frozen till I get my own setup going.

Thank you all for the feedback, and just because I'm new to saltwater doesn't mean I'm not educating myself. If I buy a new pet I figure out how to take care of it...same goes for the individuals inside my tank. Whole reason I asked for the name of the coral to begin with... It didn't look so great in the LFS and I thought for 20 bucks it'd be worth saving... It already looks 10,000 pct better than it did when I purchased it. It's become one of my favorite corals now that the cobalt blue polyps have opened up, and I don't mind the extra work to keep it looking that way.

Thanks again!

EdKruzel
11/28/2010, 06:08 PM
Just to be clear, it needs the smallest brine shrimp possible, like the just hatched.

Size is very important as is the nutrient value of the item fed. Adult brine and rotifers are like empty grocery bags. If feeding frozen be sure they are enriched and if live you must gut-load before adding to the tank. The mixture I recommended earlier is a proven food source.

GXPKY
11/28/2010, 06:10 PM
http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz319/gxpky/Aquarium%20setup/DSCN1526.jpg

GXPKY
11/28/2010, 06:12 PM
May try out the protien skimmer milkshake also and see how that works out.

EdKruzel
11/28/2010, 06:33 PM
If I buy a new pet I figure out how to take care of it...same goes for the individuals inside my tank. Whole reason I asked for the name of the coral to begin with... It didn't look so great in the LFS and I thought for 20 bucks it'd be worth saving...

While you certainly have the best intension's you're looking at it wrong. So many fish, corals and other inverts are not compatible; researching and comparing livestock before purchase is the way to go. If you are fully educated on a specimen and are sure you can rehabilitate then maybe its a good deal. There are still many specimens caught and for sale that we can't care for in a home tank like some species of dendrophylia, yet you can find it in most LFS. You buy it and in a month or so it dies off; this encourages the LFS to keep bringing in something that should stay in the sea. Second when buying a sick item it doesn't make the LFS work on improving their environment. They're in it for profit and if everything is dying then they don't make money. Last and most important could be possibly introducing a disease or pathogen that may infect your entire tank.

Hopefully you just found a great deal and it will thrive in your tank.

Angel*Fish
11/28/2010, 06:39 PM
That is one gorgeous coral!

When you say "tank" it sounds like you may be planning a big operation. There's no need to bend over backwards to start a full grow out tank. You can easily grow nauplii that are probably a better size and more nutritious in one of these. You just hatch and feed.
http://www.thatpetplace.com/images/presentation/P6436.jpg

My nauplii hatchery was completely unrelated to feeding my gorgonian, btw. But it did seem to like them. Again, I didn't have one of those blue ones.

fcmatt
12/09/2010, 11:42 PM
i will admit that looks like a blueberry but has anyone actually seen a b.b. with that type
of growth pattern?

username in use
12/10/2010, 06:42 AM
Growth patterns can change due to any number of environmental factors, including flow, lighting, whether it was under a ledge, or broke and was on its side for a while. There are so many factors that affect the growth form its tough to just dismiss something as not a species based on that. Ive seen frags of the same coral, grow tight and bushy in one tank and open a wiry in another.

GXPKY
12/10/2010, 11:12 PM
Just an update...

When I first purchased this I was basically a total noob and had no idea what I was getting...I have learned much about studying what I am adding to my tank since then!!!! So please don't flame...

Been spot feeding skimmer sludge and baby brine shrimp and it seems to be doing very well. You can observe the polyps eating the baby brine shrimp, so I know it is feeding well. It is beautiful and worth the hard work to keep it healthy...just hope it keeps it up, knowing now that there is noone in the hobby that ever can keep a blueberry gorg alive... It was a noob move buying a non photosynthetic gorg, especially when you don't know what your jumping into. BUT I know but this coral is by far my favorite in the tank. I've learned a ton since purchasing the gorg, but definitely not for the lazy at heart.

http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz319/gxpky/Aquarium%20setup/DSCN1538.jpg

89Foxbody
12/10/2010, 11:47 PM
Definitely beautiful. Glad to see you are determined to keep it alive. That's how I felt about my Goniopora too haha...It's just about melted at this point though...Oh well. I hope you have better luck.

Angel*Fish
12/11/2010, 01:05 PM
Kudos on your dedication. I hope it's a success. Fwiw, I would try to give as much variety as possible. Good luck! :D

Crustman
12/11/2010, 03:19 PM
Just a quick note, the Pseudochromis that you have with it is one of the most aggressive of the genus. Watch your tankmates. You might try a photosynthetic gorgonian if that one doesn't make it; the polyps are brown though

GXPKY
12/13/2010, 06:58 PM
The Pseudochromis has actually only been aggressive with himself...he pretty much ignores the rest of his tank mates and only attacks his reflection in the glass on a regular basis, it's pretty hellarious actually.