PDA

View Full Version : Clowns showing some spots........

bigdoug
11/27/2010, 07:56 PM
Ok my Tang died yesterday, looked really bad, peeling skin had it in the QT. Now my clowns are showing some spots, but are not acting any different. All that is left in my DT is 2 clowns and 2 gobies. Should i move the clowns to the QT or let it play out in the DT? PH 8.3, Nh3/4=0, NO2=0, NO3=0, PO4=0, CA=400
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u91/bigdoug606094/AquariumProject020.jpg
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u91/bigdoug606094/AquariumProject019-1.jpg

Is this ICK? And since my tang died in the QT, should i change all the water before using it again?

poolkeeper1
11/27/2010, 08:00 PM
Following along as i have a similar situation, Looks like the same scenario. One Tang already dead and Clown showing signs of skin abnormalities similar to velvet.
Bill

bigdoug
11/27/2010, 08:04 PM
Following along as i have a similar situation, Looks like the same scenario. One Tang already dead and Clown showing signs of skin abnormalities similar to velvet.
Bill

Velvet is what i think my Tang died from, looked more like that in the pics i compared it to. But my tang had problems breathing, as the clowns seem normal other than the skin.

steelhead77
11/27/2010, 09:40 PM
That is Brooklynella (Clownfish Disease). Unlike ich, it WILL kill your fish very quickly. It is similar to 3rd degree burns on people. You need to IMMEDIATELY set up a 10 gallon hospital tank and get those fish in there. You need to do a freshwater dip, then you need to treat the fish with Formalyn. This is the ONLY thing that will cure these fish. You need to follow the directions and treat exactly as instructed. Be sure to aerate the tank with a air pump and stone while treating.

Did I say you need to do this IMMEDIATELY?

Google Brooklynella, there are some articles out there that will walk you thru this step by step.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

snorvich
11/27/2010, 10:34 PM
Good advice from steelhead77. Time is of the essence.

scubasteve06
11/27/2010, 11:28 PM
Steelhead is absolutely 100% correct, that is brook. Extremely deadly. Here is a great article in the fish disease and treatment forum.http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135372

And yes to changing out 100% of the water in the QT. Is it BB? If so there shouldn't be any problems with having it hanging around. If you can scrub down the tank walls with vinegar and rinse it really well after emptying it.

Original Fin
11/27/2010, 11:50 PM
I thought brook too from pic #2. Do read up on it but only after taking steelheads advice immediately. For now, know that Brook is a parasitic infection of the gills/respiratory sys that causes heavy sliming and cysts. By the time you diagnose it, most say it's probably too late. If you have a hospital tank up and running, you may be able to beat it, but you've got to get started now.

I lost a Perc to this bc I didn't have a hospital tank ready. I slowed the infection by doing daily 5 min FW dips. These parasites detatch in FW. The fish's breathing improves immediately following the FW dip, and the sliming goes away for a while. Since I had no hospital going, I had no choice but to return the fish to the DT where of course more parasites were waiting to find him again. Did this for 4 days before he finally succumbed. The dips bought him some time, but without quarantine he had no chance.
You must act now. My advice-Go get a Beta Bowl and an airstone if you have to.

89Foxbody
11/27/2010, 11:55 PM
LIke the others have said, time is key here. The FW dips will buy you some time but you need to isolate and treat ASAP or you will lose them both within a week.

Original Fin
11/27/2010, 11:58 PM
BTW, reading back I notice you do have a QT, but it recently housed a sick tang. Brook is an anemonefish parasite, so unlikely IMO the tang and clowns have the same ailment. That in mind, there may be another type of parasite/disease from the tang living in your QT now, and clowns could pick it up fast in their weakened states. You will be sure to also treat the QT with cupramine or similar if you haven't aleready, yes?

scubasteve06
11/28/2010, 12:05 AM
Even though brook is more common with clowns it can spread to any fish within the system FWIW. Cupramine will also not kill brook, only formalin and it kills all the parasites that cupramine will and won't.

bigdoug
11/28/2010, 09:11 PM
BTW, reading back I notice you do have a QT, but it recently housed a sick tang. Brook is an anemonefish parasite, so unlikely IMO the tang and clowns have the same ailment. That in mind, there may be another type of parasite/disease from the tang living in your QT now, and clowns could pick it up fast in their weakened states. You will be sure to also treat the QT with cupramine or similar if you haven't aleready, yes?

Well when i got home from work today, one clown dead, the other in bad shape, gave it a freshwater dip, some things fell off and it seemed to be breathing better. Had to put it back in the DT due to my QT being empty from my tang disaster. seems to be doing a little better. QT will be set back up tomorrow. if not too late, i plan on another FW dip and then to the QT with some cupramine.

Original Fin
11/28/2010, 09:18 PM
Well when i got home from work today, one clown dead, the other in bad shape, gave it a freshwater dip, some things fell off and it seemed to be breathing better. Had to put it back in the DT due to my QT being empty from my tang disaster. seems to be doing a little better. QT will be set back up tomorrow. if not too late, i plan on another FW dip and then to the QT with some cupramine.

I was recommending the cupramine only to sterilize the QT of anythin else that could have been in there from the tang. As scuba pointed out, you want formalin to treat brook. Cupramine has no effect on brook.

GL

bigdoug
11/28/2010, 09:23 PM
Sorry, i typed the wrong in there, good catch, yes with the formalin. i did put some culpramine in the qt and let it run for a few hrs b4 the empty. gonna give it the overnight to dry out and set it back up in the morning. would you recommend sponge filters, or a HOB?

Original Fin
11/28/2010, 09:31 PM
If you have a bilogically seeded sponge from your main tank available, that would be prefferable, but either will do. Just keep an eye on water qual and do big water changes as necessary. Don't want to further stress with ammonia.

bigdoug
11/28/2010, 09:33 PM
If you have a bilogically seeded sponge from your main tank available, that would be prefferable, but either will do. Just keep an eye on water qual and do big water changes as necessary. Don't want to further stress with ammonia.

will do thanks for the help, hope the little guy makes it!!

Percula9
11/28/2010, 11:44 PM
I suggest an antibiotic to treat secondary bacterial infection.

bigdoug
11/29/2010, 09:03 AM
STill hanging on, gonna do another freshwater dip, and transfer to the QT later today.

bigdoug
11/29/2010, 04:49 PM
Well the clown did not make it, down to 2 gold head gobies. QT is not up to temp yet, so hopefully they make it till it is. gonna leave the DT empty of fish for 8 weeks before adding new. Ran out of time, not being prepared for an outbreak. Lesson learned. will have a QT ready at all times.

xxmurrxx
11/30/2010, 05:12 AM
Sad to hear, Judging by the symptoms and looks I just lost my two clowns from this this week.
Don't want to hijack your thread but if anyone could let me know...

Should I be doing something to my system to clear this disease before introducing a new fish?

(Massive water change?, lower salinity (don't want to kill my CUC though), or just time without any livestock?, etc)

Thanks.

sn4265
11/30/2010, 07:52 AM
Sorry to hear about your loss. Hopefully the gobies will make it.

bigdoug
11/30/2010, 04:19 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss. Hopefully the gobies will make it.

Yes got the Gobies transfered to the QT, they are doing good, but dont know what to do with a bare bottom, but are hiding out in the pvc in there. DT is going to sit empty for at least 4 weeks, and i am going to a QT schedule on new fish. One question i do have is what is the easiest way to adjust PH up? is baking soda the easy way? that is how i am doing it, just not sure if there is a better way.

Original Fin
11/30/2010, 04:30 PM
It's ok as long as you're doing it in very small/ slow doses. It won't adress why the ph is low in the first place though, so you'll probably just keep riding that roller coaster with that method. Read up on Alkalinity in the reef aquarium. There are many methods of raising Alk, which is the best way to maintain consistent ph. I cannot suggest which would be best for your scenario, but after you've done some research, I'm sure if you posted your q's and details in the reef chemistry forum, you'd get good direction there. Alk, calcium, magnesium and ph are all tied to eachother and must be kept in balance. Simply adding baking soda is not a long term solution IMO.

bigdoug
11/30/2010, 08:34 PM
It's ok as long as you're doing it in very small/ slow doses. It won't adress why the ph is low in the first place though, so you'll probably just keep riding that roller coaster with that method. Read up on Alkalinity in the reef aquarium. There are many methods of raising Alk, which is the best way to maintain consistent ph. I cannot suggest which would be best for your scenario, but after you've done some research, I'm sure if you posted your q's and details in the reef chemistry forum, you'd get good direction there. Alk, calcium, magnesium and ph are all tied to eachother and must be kept in balance. Simply adding baking soda is not a long term solution IMO.

Oh i am just asking for the QT as it is empty, My display tank i dont need to add anything its balanced good.