PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever use Kent Marine Essential Elements?

MelbaToasty
11/27/2010, 08:33 PM
I have a bottle of Kent Marine Essential Elements that came with one of my purchases. Has anyone ever used this product?

I have a 72G Bow with a 15G sump with filter sock. I am building a 15G fuge, but it is not online yet. I have about 40 lbs of live rock and perform 10% to 15% weekly water changes. The directions on the bottle reccomend dosing at each water change.

Since I got it for free I don't wan to waste it, but I was hoping someone would chime in who has used this product. Is it safe to use and/or would you use it? Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Salty One
11/27/2010, 08:37 PM
I use it all the time! I was told it supposed to put back the stuff that skimming takes out:bounce3:

buy_baff
11/27/2010, 09:33 PM
snake oil

bazineta
11/27/2010, 10:14 PM
That's a great water change schedule, so if you're using a good salt that already contains trace elements in ratio similar to natural sea water, then your water changes should be giving you everything necessary already. Common advice in this scenario is that if you can't measure it, then don't dose it.

Aquarist007
11/27/2010, 10:57 PM
That's a great water change schedule, so if you're using a good salt that already contains trace elements in ratio similar to natural sea water, then your water changes should be giving you everything necessary already. Common advice in this scenario is that if you can't measure it, then don't dose it.

great answer +1

HighlandReefer
11/28/2010, 08:35 AM
so if you're using a good salt that already contains trace elements in ratio similar to natural sea water

FWIW, the salt mixes do not contain these trace elements at levels similar to natural seawater. The salt mix trace elements are at much higher levels than found in seawater around natural pristine reefs. The levels of these trace elements found in salt mixes are pushing the levels where scientists begin to see problems in many reef organisms including coral. ;)

Personally, without being able to measure all these trace elements, I would not want to push their levels higher, unless you purposely want to try and change colors in coral by so to speak poisoning the coral.

MelbaToasty
11/28/2010, 02:26 PM
Thanks all for the great replies. I use reef crystals and still enjoy water changes. I'll leave it at that.

tmz
11/29/2010, 09:28 AM
When I started reefs ,years ago, I used it for a year of so.It didn't hurt anything or help anything. I agree salt mix and foods give you all you need for most elements. Now, I only dose a little iodide.not technically a trace element, because I have some gorgonians and use gac 24/7. I don't see a difference dosing iodide or not dosing and may stop at some point.