PDA

View Full Version : GSP Help

Earth Eater
11/27/2010, 10:59 PM
Hi all I was recently given a frag of gsp for my pico. It has opened up and looks great. But it is pink and white. How do people make it look so bright? Should I blow off the "dust" thats on it? Also I keep seeing people say not to feed it and then some who say feed it. What should I do? What kind of lighting would make my anthelia, sponges, and gsp look brighter? I currrently only have a 6700k 9 watt PC light on it. I am open to all ideas. Last but not least will it spread to my sand?

hebsway
11/28/2010, 12:40 AM
Hi Yes it will spread everywhere and to get the color out them your going to need to add some actinic. Maybe try a R2 LED like this one.
http://www.aquacave.com/r2-solutions-extreme-br-moonlight-4-38-led-tube-2606.html

Good Luck

hebsway
11/28/2010, 12:42 AM
I never feed mine anything special.

Earth Eater
11/28/2010, 01:13 AM
Hi Yes it will spread everywhere and to get the color out them your going to need to add some actinic. Maybe try a R2 LED like this one.
http://www.aquacave.com/r2-solutions-extreme-br-moonlight-4-38-led-tube-2606.html

Good Luck
Thanks:) Will the actinics make the gsp look better during the day with other lights on to? Or do I only use it at night. If it will enhance the colour while also using my other light that would be great.
My light set up is:
Coralife Mini PC aqualight (2 bulbs)
Running one 6700k 9 watt bulb
I could add the actinic to this.

The only problem is that it only has one switch. If I left the R2 led on all the time would it help?
I never feed mine anything special.

Cool thanks

hebsway
11/28/2010, 01:46 AM
Yes run the actinic or r2 with the Daylight the blue spectrum will help bring out the colors in the polyps. The R2 has its own switch, I start it about 2 hours before the daylight comes on and turn it off about 2 hours after the daylight goes off.

Earth Eater
11/28/2010, 11:51 AM
ok cool thanks:) So the actinic doesnt stay on all night. Does it just make it look nicer, or does it actually help the gsp stay brighter? My fixture has room for the avtinic, but it would have to turn on at the same time as the daylight. I will look for the r2 near me.

hebsway
11/28/2010, 03:37 PM
The blue spectrum will help bring out the greens in the polyps. If you have room for a actininc in you fixture that may give you a brighter blue then the r2. If it was me I would run both the actinic and the r2. I would use the r2 as a moonlight and in addtion to the daylight and actinic during the day. The more blue light in the tank the more the colors will "pop"

Earth Eater
11/28/2010, 05:49 PM
Awesome thanks:) So I can turn the actinic and the daylight on at the same time, and run my lunars at night. How long until you think they will open up. The opened last night when I first acclimated them. They have a tiny bit of a white crust in some places is that ok? I cant clean it any more besides that it is to difficult. The tops of the polyps are clear of debriis but the rest has a bit that wont come off. the temp is 74.5

reef2
11/28/2010, 05:56 PM
gsp comes in a few colors. r u sure u got the green kind? gsp is impossible to kill and can take a few days to fully open after being put into the tank.

Earth Eater
11/29/2010, 07:08 PM
Actually, now that one polyp opened up it is pink withgreen ends. Is ther a way to make them look bright like in peoples photos? I added actinics but it looks the same.

bluebill
11/30/2010, 06:29 PM
During the day I run my antinic with a daylight(you can see the green, just not "popping out"). In the evening I run my antinic only and it will glow like crazy. Maybe you have too much daylight. I only have two t-5 4' lamps in my tank. Looking to add shortly though.

Earth Eater
12/01/2010, 11:42 PM
Interesting, thank-you:)

Sugar Magnolia
12/02/2010, 11:00 AM
gsp comes in a few colors.

GSP is just that...green star polyps. Pachyclavularia, aka star polys, come in several colors, tan, brown, green. I have some that are tan. Keep the mat clear of any accumulating detritus by giving it an occasional blast with a turkey baster when the polyps are closed up.