PDA

View Full Version : New Sump/skimmer prob

kl3377
11/28/2010, 06:49 PM
I replaced my 20 gallon acrylic sump with a 40g breeder sump today. I was running my modded Octopus DNW-110 externally and it worked very well. With the new sump I moved the skimmer (no room for ext and part of the reason for the new sump was less skimmer accidents) in-sump and it does not seem to be working. Water level in the skimmer is the same, skimmer is pulling the same amount of air, yet no skimmate. Is it possible that adding 25 gallons of fresh saltwater left nothing to skim? or am I missing something with the set up? The skimmer sat empty for 24 hours prior to going from external to in-sump. Thanks

Bandsaw
11/28/2010, 07:14 PM
Depending on what I do, my skimmer stops skimming from anywhere from a few minutes to a day. Give it some time. 25g of new water may be your culprit or maybe there were some other contaminants on the side of your sump that may need to work its way through the system.

kl3377
11/29/2010, 08:15 PM
Late last night it started to produce, by morning it was pretty decent. I did notice some fluctuation in the water level so I built an egg crate riser tonight to hopefully stabilize the height.

Bandsaw
11/30/2010, 01:28 PM
Happy to hear that it is working out.