PDA

View Full Version : Geisemann 14.5 on Icecap buring yellow!

mooch1982
11/29/2010, 08:11 PM
Hey guys,

Quick question. I have just changed my bulb from a 14K Hamilton, to a 14.5 Geisemann 250 watt DE bulb. The bulb is on a old style electronic icecap ballast in a reef optix 3 pendant.

Just installed it today, and it was burning very yellow. I got the bulb for it's crisp white, but it looks really yellow so far. I do not liked the washed out blue by the way, hence the change.

Having said that, I have heard they burn very yellow in the start, but as they burn in they shift to a crisp white with a hint of actinic.

Does anyone use this bulb on a icecap ballast, and if so, how long did it take before the spectrum shifted?

By the way, other colors really pop on this bulb!

ReichReefer
11/30/2010, 05:08 AM
On the ones that I have used (with IC ballasts), they were very crisp white during the first few weeks; almost a bit too blue. No yellowing of any kind.

mooch1982
12/01/2010, 07:54 AM
Huum,

That's strange. I have been reading mixed reviews, but most people seem to be saying they burn yellow for a week or two, and then shift to white after that point.

I sure hope so. I am running 65 watts of pure 420nm actinic, and it helps a lot. However, I would like to run the MH without actinics down the road.

By the way, do you have the new, or old icecap ballast?