PDA

View Full Version : Xenia, Xenia, Everywhere, what to do, what to do?

mapn4reef
11/30/2010, 07:31 PM
Well, this has gotten out of control and need to do something about it. It looks awesome actually... First off, I know all about the fragging, store credit, etc. done it many times, and placing other rocks on/around it. Aside, from taking out every rock and going over it with a fine tooth comb (literally), any tips and tricks for ridding my tank of Xenia, or at least easily controlling it?

I was thinking this: take some egg-crate, cut to about 6x6, 10x10 sections, attach rubble to it and lay it on the main areas...thinking it will detach from LR and transfer to the rubble/crate for instant frags...

IDEAS???

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b93/mapmanpic/IMG_2474.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b93/mapmanpic/IMG_2472.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b93/mapmanpic/IMG_2476.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b93/mapmanpic/IMG_2482.jpg

Eric45
11/30/2010, 07:35 PM
I just cut it back with a small sharp scissors and try to get as much of it as possible. If you get enough of it off the rock, it won't regrow.

mapn4reef
11/30/2010, 07:40 PM
Yeah, I trimmed it back a lot about 3-4 months ago, a cantelope sized rock had a small piece the size of dime left...and now it is completely covered again with stalks 3-4" tall... I think I have the mutant alien variety. Looks awesome, but I have no realestate for more corals...

psteeleb
11/30/2010, 07:41 PM
I cut it off close then spread some kalc paste on the area to keep it from growing back

if you want to get rid of it all get some fluke tabs, make up a batch and dip a rock in it and replace the rock in the tank. There will be enough residual stuff on it to clear the tank of xenia and GSP but it doesn't seem to affect other corals

this process was discovered as a side issue when treating corals for AEFW's

Pickupman66
11/30/2010, 07:41 PM
I swear you didnt get that from me.. or at least I wont publicly take credit for it. Looks just like the strain I had for years. Grown like MAD. if it the long stringy wavy kind, that usually dont slime up as bad so you can grab and pull it off the rocks. Rip and tear baby! otherwise, you can kill it with kalk paste.

that is pretty awesome.

preef
11/30/2010, 07:53 PM
Use tweezers to grab the stalk, rip it off, repeat.

S13<3
11/30/2010, 08:27 PM
i would take some but im in miami :)

Original Fin
11/30/2010, 08:32 PM
i would take some but im in miami :)

Yeah, I was thinking give some to me until I looked at the pics. Eh, nevermind! That stuff is seriously invasive!

seapug
11/30/2010, 08:39 PM
nice. just take the entire rocks out and bring them to your LFS for credit. Xenia is a notoriously bad shipper so most stores are glad to take it off your hands because it's usually a quick seller. I turned a $30 frag of beautiful snow white red sea xenia into $100 worth of store credit at my favorite LFS in about 6 months. The one small piece that was left in my tank is starting to climb on rocks again so it's looking like it'll be a gift that keeps on giving.

fishdoc11
11/30/2010, 08:45 PM
I was also thinking just take the whole rocks to the Critter and trade for some cured rock they have.

Chris

jchase1970
11/30/2010, 08:49 PM
Mine died out, I don't know what I did to cause it. It was going good then all of a sudden just started going down hill.

mapn4reef
11/30/2010, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the kalk and fluke tab tips. Yeah, most of the fish in the tank were bought by Xenia credit. I thought about taking the entire rocks in, and use marco or the BRS rocks...I have several very nice rocks I like to keep, can't tell much about them from the invasion. The longer darker stuff in there is Anthelia, I can thank the urchin for spreading that for me... Hmmmm, I guess I got to get wet...I'm seriously thinking of putting one of those paint stripper attachments on my drill and give it heck...

mapn4reef
11/30/2010, 08:58 PM
Hmmm, ya think Chris will do that? About 120 lbs in there. I assume I could do this all at one time without worry. If I stage it 2 or 3 swaps, I would risk spread to the new rock.

I was also thinking just take the whole rocks to the Critter and trade for some cured rock they have.

Chris

fishdoc11
11/30/2010, 10:26 PM
Hmmm, ya think Chris will do that? About 120 lbs in there. I assume I could do this all at one time without worry. If I stage it 2 or 3 swaps, I would risk spread to the new rock.

120 lbs is a lot, it doesn't look like that much (I'm not doubting you just my impression). You would just need to ask him. Large xenia rocks should sell fairly well and he would just be giving you what they are mounted on. I would call and ask:)

IME scraping corals or whatever else you want to get rid of off of rocks is eventualy fairly futile. Most things eventually end up comming back (this is my experience from mushrooms, star polyps and lots of different SPS but not xenia) Sometimes it's just easier IMO to start over.

You just want to make sure whatever rock you do add to your tank is actually fully cured.

christpuncher
11/30/2010, 10:35 PM
Ha. My prior tank was getting overgrown with pulsing xenia and it drove me crazy. The funny thing about it: every non-hobbyist that saw my tank LOVED it.

Figures. They ignore my exotic zoas and sps, but the xenia is amazing. LOL.

SushiGirl
11/30/2010, 10:36 PM
Holy crap, that's awesome LOL

Porcupinepuffer
12/01/2010, 06:13 AM
If you'd like to place any torch, hammer, frogspawn coral in there, no problem. They will easily sting any xenia's around them. make an open spot, place one of those in there. Bye bye to xenia surrounding any of those corals... I used to have a huge xenia problem, then my BTA split and continued splitting, and gave me an even worse problem... More then half of a 120g tank of nothing but 10 anemones with dead coral skeleton surrounding them.

MeVsTheWorld
12/01/2010, 06:28 AM
Use tweezers to grab the stalk, rip it off, repeat.

+1 I do this to mine and it works great. I still like having it in my tank, but have learned to just keep it under control.

mikk1301
12/01/2010, 06:58 AM
I just cut it back with a small sharp scissors and try to get as much of it as possible. If you get enough of it off the rock, it won't regrow.lol oh yes it will and fast,i left a minute piece on my rock and within 3 weeks it was a decent size colony again

chathomas
12/01/2010, 07:33 AM
Just going to say that I am restarting a tank as we speak and your pictures give me nightmares. My 120 gal from before looked just like this. I started with on xenia and then in 6 months my entire 200 pounds of live rock was infested and they killed all my other corals so soon enough all I had left was xenia. I cut them back, I ripped them out and then finally just gave up. I will never have them again. I loved them for the pulsating but I think they are evil

frankpayne32
12/01/2010, 07:45 AM
First off, I think you're tank looks great. What I would do in this scenario is take all the rock with xenia on it and trade it to a LFS for store credit. Use that store credit to buy new live rock and new frags. It would be very difficult to get rid of all that xenia while still keeping your original rock. If you're not happy with the look, just start over. Or at least mostly start over.

T Diddy
12/01/2010, 07:50 AM

Chris

That's probably your best bet. Keep one rock or two with the xenia, place them in a corner somewhere, and get a galaxia between the xenia and the rest of the tank. The galaxia will keep em in check with sweeper tentacles

mapn4reef
12/01/2010, 08:42 AM
Great advice folks...I'll check into trading out the rock or store credit, maybe sell a few rocks for a per lbs price (with free xenia, lol).

T Diddy: "Keep one rock or two with the xenia, place them in a corner somewhere..."

Yeah, but I've seen this stuff break off small sprigs and float around the tank until it found a new secure home...

This all started with about three spots the size of dime each, on one or two of the rocks...

Thanks for the compliments for those who like it...yeah, non-reef hobbyist love the look of the tank, I had a 40+ head Frogspawn center right in there too at one point...and you couldn't get people away from the tank...then my wife wanted the Lemonpeel Angel, so I decided not to risk harm of the beautiful specimen and sold it...

I'll keep folks posted on the Xenia saga (should be a Wii game)

mikk1301
12/01/2010, 10:45 AM
Great advice folks...I'll check into trading out the rock or store credit, maybe sell a few rocks for a per lbs price (with free xenia, lol).

T Diddy: "Keep one rock or two with the xenia, place them in a corner somewhere..."

Yeah, but I've seen this stuff break off small sprigs and float around the tank until it found a new secure home...

This all started with about three spots the size of dime each, on one or two of the rocks...

Thanks for the compliments for those who like it...yeah, non-reef hobbyist love the look of the tank, I had a 40+ head Frogspawn center right in there too at one point...and you couldn't get people away from the tank...then my wife wanted the Lemonpeel Angel, so I decided not to risk harm of the beautiful specimen and sold it...

I'll keep folks posted on the Xenia saga (should be a Wii game)offer the rock for swap with similar weight un-infested rock

mgoblue
12/01/2010, 12:04 PM
I want some of this in my tank, but don't want it to spread like this. How isolated would I need to keep it? My rockwork is minimalist, so I would have room to have it on its own island, but wanted to know how far to keep it from the other rock.

A.G
12/01/2010, 01:19 PM
Mapn4reef,

I would like to ask you something which is a little off topic. Do you faceany sort of algea problem in your tank? cyano, hair or diatoms?

From the photo your sand and glass are pretty clean so am thinking those xenia are nutrient export and keeping your tank crystal. Iiam not sure though

let us know

RacerX308e
12/01/2010, 01:20 PM
I loved them for the pulsating but I think they are evil

I will never have xenia or green mushrooms in my tank again!!!

Just traded off about 80 pounds of green mushroom covered live rock for clean rock for my new build. I did that a while back with xenia as well. They are both weeds in my book!

aleonn
12/01/2010, 01:55 PM
Holy cow, that's awesome yet scary at the same time! For my aquascape, I'm gonna have to dedicate a single solitary island for these guys.

mapn4reef
12/01/2010, 02:23 PM
Mapn4reef,

I would like to ask you something which is a little off topic. Do you faceany sort of algea problem in your tank? cyano, hair or diatoms?

From the photo your sand and glass are pretty clean so am thinking those xenia are nutrient export and keeping your tank crystal. Iiam not sure though

let us know

I currently have no algae issues, I have a glass out break about every 4 days, I really need to replenish my CUC. I had a Cyano outbreak about 5 mos ago, but Red Slime remover worked it over good (and my skimmer). You might be onto something though.

As for the couple folks who mentioned putting it on its own island...Caution, my xenia every so often will break a sprig free and float about the tank, and anchor somewhere new...figure this is a method of propogation for them. AND, when that sprig makes it into the Vortech, you now have xenia mulch...LOL

Mitchell
12/01/2010, 02:59 PM
Eerily, your tank looks exactly like mine which is overrun with xenia. I wish I had never put this beautiful pest in my tank. Sadly, all the folks who look are just amazed at the beautiful, silvery, pulsing things!

I've given up on cutting. They come back stronger. I also think it spreads them elsewhere. I've seen them floating around the tank looking for new places to land. Look at them growing up into my overflow. My LFS would never take this pest for credit. He's too smart. I just periodically flip my rocks upside down and start again.

http://clearwaterphotography.smugmug.com/Other/lens-test/8507-1/180685388_nq9Zf-XL.jpg

saily
12/03/2010, 11:52 PM
I'm having a similar problem. I was thinking of putting the xenia covered rocks in my sump, which is in my basement and almost always dark. Does anybody know if that would kill it off without any bad side effects?

Sculp1n
12/04/2010, 12:37 AM
What an amazingly beautiful problem to have.

coolfishy101
12/04/2010, 03:22 AM
Buy a chocolate chip starfish, place it directly on the xenia's let it feed for a while (from my own personal experience it will not move until the xenia is completely digested), and when it's eaten a good amount, place it in the sump and bring him back out for future xenia feeding. Sounds silly, but it works!

mapn4reef
12/04/2010, 08:42 AM
I'm having a similar problem. I was thinking of putting the xenia covered rocks in my sump, which is in my basement and almost always dark. Does anybody know if that would kill it off without any bad side effects?

It won't kill it all off...and my understanding is that it will release toxins if it dies suddenly...maybe a little at a time...maybe it will reduce it by 80%, then you can remove the rest manually.

Coolfishy-thanks for the chocolate chip tip...I may try it.

samdaman
12/04/2010, 08:46 AM
What an amazingly beautiful problem to have.

LOL I agree, Although it is an overrunning pest It looks good, Better than GHA IMO :D

samdaman
12/04/2010, 08:48 AM
Well, this has gotten out of control and need to do something about it. It looks awesome actually... First off, I know all about the fragging, store credit, etc. done it many times, and placing other rocks on/around it. Aside, from taking out every rock and going over it with a fine tooth comb (literally), any tips and tricks for ridding my tank of Xenia, or at least easily controlling it?

I was thinking this: take some egg-crate, cut to about 6x6, 10x10 sections, attach rubble to it and lay it on the main areas...thinking it will detach from LR and transfer to the rubble/crate for instant frags...

IDEAS???

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b93/mapmanpic/IMG_2474.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b93/mapmanpic/IMG_2472.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b93/mapmanpic/IMG_2476.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b93/mapmanpic/IMG_2482.jpg

I have the same computer lol, Xenia withers in my tank :/

strike2867
12/04/2010, 09:14 AM
I just trimmed mine down yesterday. I'd say I have about as much but sparser because I have a bigger tank. I just used a pair of scissors and cut it down. After I cut it off, I used the tips to cut up the root. If it comes back after that, I'll just toothbrush it off until it gets taken over by other corals. Turned out extremely easy.

Gary Majchrzak
12/04/2010, 09:27 AM
run heavy PO4 adsorber.

Aluminum based (colored white) is more effective than Iron based (colored red/brown) at getting rid of Xenia IME.

thebanker
12/04/2010, 02:22 PM
I had a similar xenia problem, I sold all I could and still had more than I could handle. I donated a large piece of LR to a friend starting a new LFS, kept an "island" of it apart from all other rocks. The rest I put in the first part of my fuge.

run heavy PO4 adsorber.

Aluminum based (colored white) is more effective than Iron based (colored red/brown) at getting rid of Xenia IME.

Gary, Randy Holmes-Farley warns against the Al based PO4 adsorbers, like Seachem's Phosguard. What is your take on them?

Gary Majchrzak
12/04/2010, 02:34 PM
Gary, Randy Holmes-Farley warns against the Al based PO4 adsorbers, like Seachem's Phosguard. What is your take on them?
good Xenia killer! :)

thebanker
12/04/2010, 02:40 PM
Do you think it leaches Al into the water? Is it better than GFO?

Gary Majchrzak
12/04/2010, 02:58 PM
Do you think it leaches Al into the water? Is it better than GFO?
I don't know if it leaches aluminum into the water. Al based PO4 adsorbers never caused any issues in any of my reef aquariums that I'm aware of.

Used properly it can be effective at removing PO4... and Xenia!

"Better" is subjective.

For Xenia eradication I'd use aluminum based PO4 adsorber liberally.

thebanker
12/04/2010, 03:07 PM
If it kills xenia, it either strips the water of PO4 more efficiently, or leaches something the xenia doesn't like.

Not to derail this thread, but you're the only "Team RC" member I've talked to who advocates a Al-based PO4 remover in any way. I could start a new thread on it, but here are my main questions:

1. Do you need to fluidize it? Because those little white balls are heavy.
2. In your experience, does it last longer than GFO? Or is it hard to say.

Gary Majchrzak
12/04/2010, 03:17 PM
no PO4 remover that I'm aware of needs to be run in a fluidized type of filter.

both Al and Fe based PO4 adsorbers are renewable if memory serves me right......

I've never used Fe based adsorbers to combat Xenia so I would never post that Al based adsorbers are more efficient at the task.

sngl13b
12/04/2010, 03:31 PM
we had the same problem i usually scrape them off with a blade and take them to my local fish store,they'll usually give you credit or you can try to sell them,tho i've had no luck with that other then trading locals for other frags..good luck

strike2867
12/06/2010, 10:59 AM
I just trimmed mine down yesterday. I'd say I have about as much but sparser because I have a bigger tank. I just used a pair of scissors and cut it down. After I cut it off, I used the tips to cut up the root. If it comes back after that, I'll just toothbrush it off until it gets taken over by other corals. Turned out extremely easy.

Now my Nitrates have gone up to around 10. It might be a combination of messing with my skimmer and killing off the Xenia but not taking it out. My clam just kicked it, hopefully nothing else will.

Gary Majchrzak
12/06/2010, 03:19 PM
Now my Nitrates have gone up to around 10. It might be a combination of messing with my skimmer and killing off the Xenia but not taking it out. My clam just kicked it, hopefully nothing else will.
IME the scrubbing of certain Xeniids, Clavularia, Pachyclavularia, Anthelia etc. can result in serious harm to Tridacna if a clam ingests the coral's concentrated toxins.

mccorry
12/06/2010, 03:42 PM
Wow....

strike2867
12/06/2010, 05:21 PM
IME the scrubbing of certain Xeniids, Clavularia, Pachyclavularia, Anthelia etc. can result in serious harm to Tridacna if a clam ingests the coral's concentrated toxins.

Damn. The Clam was doing well and growing quickly too. I need to learn more.

thebanker
12/06/2010, 05:25 PM
How long did it take to kill the clam? I have a healthy tridacna derasa and it seemed fine when I scrubbed the remnants of xenia off a couple rocks. There was xenia slime everywhere. Also, you will likely need to toothbrush off the remnants or coat them in a caustic agent like kalk slurry. Otherwise the xenia always comes back.

I also always run activated carbon (API Bio-Chem Zorb) in a canister.

strike2867
12/06/2010, 10:39 PM
How long did it take to kill the clam? I have a healthy tridacna derasa and it seemed fine when I scrubbed the remnants of xenia off a couple rocks. There was xenia slime everywhere. Also, you will likely need to toothbrush off the remnants or coat them in a caustic agent like kalk slurry. Otherwise the xenia always comes back.

I also always run activated carbon (API Bio-Chem Zorb) in a canister.

Yup, they're already coming back. Clam was dying days later. It's pretty much eaten now, was quite large. Another clam, not sure of the species was sitting next to it is doing perfectly fine. And it had huge Xenia growing right on it which I took off to help it.

XtremeFromHell
12/06/2010, 10:44 PM
thats the look i am looking for! only on one half of my tank, i want the other side to be overun by mushrooms.

mapn4reef
12/08/2010, 10:39 AM
This is what the tank looked like on 09/27/10 after a major Xenia trimming...so all this growth in about 11 weeks.

mapn4reef
12/11/2010, 06:27 PM
...with help like this:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b93/mapmanpic/IMG_2486.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b93/mapmanpic/IMG_2487.jpg

mapn4reef
12/11/2010, 06:39 PM
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b93/mapmanpic/IMG_2489.jpg

sbreefer
12/11/2010, 08:09 PM
Xenia cannot grow in a ULNS. clean up your water. I suggest RowaPhos in a fluidized reactor. They just melt in my tank B/C no nutrients....

Gary Majchrzak
12/12/2010, 07:48 AM
but that's just another example of how Xenia gets spread around an aquarium

Xenia cannot grow in a ULNS. clean up your water. I suggest RowaPhos in a fluidized reactor. They just melt in my tank B/C no nutrients....worth repeating again and again and again

This might be something of interest to those reading this thread: search the internet for pictures of wild coral reefs where Xenia has taken over.

Frogmanx82
12/12/2010, 10:24 AM
I still have quite a bit of xenia as my tank appears to have perfect conditions for it. I have it confined to one rock and the back glass. I've had xenia over a year and have never had any bits break off.
Anyway, I found taking the rock out of the tank and pulling the xenia off by hand and then scraping with a sharp knife worked pretty well.

I went from this

http://i996.photobucket.com/albums/af89/frogmanx82/P1020094.jpg

to this, I got that little sprig out by taking the rock out again, then it was clean.

http://i996.photobucket.com/albums/af89/frogmanx82/P1020316.jpg

Now its just on the left but spread to the glass. Actually, I need to prune again pretty good as this photo was a few weeks ago. I'd say it doubles every 4 weeks.

http://i996.photobucket.com/albums/af89/frogmanx82/P1020452.jpg

thebanker
12/15/2010, 03:38 PM
I'm having a xenia meltdown after over a year of it flourishing in my tank.

Sg 1.025
Ca 380ppm - 400ppm average
Alk 6.5 dkh - 7 dkh average
NO3 undetectable (API)
PO4 undetectable (API)
Temp 80
4x54w T5 on for 10 hours/day

Any ideas?

sbreefer
12/16/2010, 10:18 AM
banker. API kits are terrible and you do likely have some minute levels of NO2 and PO4 but, I would guess your xenia are melting due to lack of nutrients.

CaribSeanMd
12/16/2010, 10:51 AM
I have the same challenge with both Xenia and Capnella. Both are absolutely beautiful but they'll take over the tank if I stand by and do nothing. Capnella is a semi-aggressive coral and it actually does damage to coral when they grow too close. The Capnella and Zooanthids have a little war going on for turf and the Capnella is slowly winning.

My LFS will take some, but not much of it off my hands.

Xenia, like Capnella, is difficult to peel from the LR. I look at it like keeping a garden (though I absolutely hate gardening!) and so I trim it when it appears in areas where it's impossible to remove. Xenia is a little easier to contain than Capnella, which ends up literally everywhere in the tank. One little piece of that will break off, float somewhere and then attach to the first hard surface it encounters. So I have to keep on top of the Capnella more diligently than the Xenia.

It's all so beautiful though and it really spices up my 120G tank!