PDA

View Full Version : Is my calcium reactor regulator supposed to get hot?

RVANANO
11/30/2010, 07:50 PM
Hooked up my calcium reactor this evening. Got it dialed in but I noticed my regulator is really hot and the pressure is low with 2-4 bubble count per second. Is this normal?

It's almost too hot to hold your finger on for more than a second or so.

PurdueMAN_08
11/30/2010, 08:30 PM
I have never heard of this. Mine does not get hot at all.

RVANANO
11/30/2010, 08:31 PM
I mispoke. The Solenoid is hot. Which is 110V. I finally got a hold of my electronics friend who thought this could be normal since it's a magnetic solenoid. Still hoping to get more feedback here.

James404
11/30/2010, 08:43 PM
From what I know there is a coil inside the solenoid that does normally get hot.

sasharotty
11/30/2010, 08:46 PM
The solenoid will get warm but as hot as your saying? Dont think thats normal.

PurdueMAN_08
11/30/2010, 08:49 PM
Do you have a selenoid valve on the regulator? Maybe that could be malfunctioning somehow?

OOPS, my page had not refreshed to show others have already commented.

Mikeygo1
11/30/2010, 08:59 PM
Ravano, If your solinoid runs too hot the coil will burn out fast. I would shut it down untill you can get it checked out.

RVANANO
12/01/2010, 05:21 AM
My electronics friend said he has some low voltage solenoids he could swap out. In regards to the reactor without a regulator/solenoid, should I just shut it off and leave SW in it or should I keep the reactor running with a slow drip to keep the media moving and to prevent stagnant water from sitting and ruining the media? The media shouldn't affect anything without CO2 b/c the higher PH won't dissolve the media correct?

sirreal63
12/01/2010, 09:47 AM
Keep it running or drain it. :-)

Consider moving to the Aquarium Plants electronic regulator...one of the best investments I ever made for the tank.

RVANANO
12/01/2010, 11:14 AM
Well I left the house with it full and not running. Think it will be ok for a day or should I dump the media and start over once I get a better regulator?

I did run water through it this morn before I left so it won't sit for more than 8 hours.

sirreal63
12/01/2010, 11:25 AM
It will be fine to sit for a day.

RVANANO
12/01/2010, 11:49 AM
After reading many threads on CA reactors, I am wondering if I shouldn't just sell mine. I didn't have to pay for it so it wouldn't be a huge deal. My plan was to continue adding SPS thinking it would be ideal.

My calcium usually stays at 350-400, Alk at 8-9 sometimes 10 and my PH stays b/t 7.89 and 8.03.

Thoughts or comments?

sirreal63
12/01/2010, 12:13 PM
As the corals grow, the need becomes greater, unless it is a small tank. Dosing works well on smaller tanks, once you get to 90 gallons or more, and the corals grow and the demand increases, the reactor starts paying off. I have run a reactor for many years, and would not go back to dosing, though you should do what you are comfortable with. There is a learning curve associated with both, for me the reactor is just easier and more stable. YMMV

RVANANO
12/01/2010, 12:31 PM
That's why I decided to go with it. My corals are growing fast and I am having to add CA a lot b/c it's hard to keep it above 400. Acro's are my favorite and I want to add a lot more. I just don't want to keep messing with it and it does concern me adding more devices to my current power load. I have a dedicated 20 AMP 4 outlet in my closet. The Apex is one one outlet and controls the twin 250 MH's, 40- 54W T5's, 2-250W Jagers and the MP40. Max of 7 amps avg of 6 amps.

My Coralife 1290 GPH external pump is in another outlet, The fuge quiet one pump is on the 3rd outlet and then finally a power strip which handles my Octopus skimmer pump, the small twin T5 fixture over the fuge and my small carbon reactor. So in addition to all that I would be adding the Deltec P509 reactor pump and the solenoid for the regulator. Think that's too much for comfort? My electrical friend doesn't think so but we haven't done the math since I added the fuge or the reactor.

BTW, don't think I mentioned. It's a 120 with a 50 sump and a 20L remote fuge.

sirreal63
12/01/2010, 12:48 PM
It's not too much and you can always tee off the main pump to run reactors, including the calcium reactor. Through the years I have changed out inefficient pumps with more efficient ones, redesigned the calcium reactor to run off one pump, just the Eheim 1250 recirc pump. With a single 250 watt Halide, the tank consumes about 20 bucks a month in electricity. Most of the equipment on the 58 came from my old 125 and is about to be put on the 110 Pentagon, I am going to try the 110 with the same equipment as the 58, but I may have to add a second halide.

The 120 is large enough to take advantage of the CaRx and AP regulator consumes almost no electricity. It is definitely worth the money if you run a CaRx. The only thing I have to check is the effluent valve, they tend to clog and need attention.

RVANANO
12/01/2010, 01:04 PM
Ahh. forgot to mention. I do have it T'd off (hehe) the manifold. I have the CA rx feed coming off my manifold via 1/4" line but there is still the pump which keeps the media suspended.

sirreal63
12/01/2010, 01:40 PM
Sounds like it is set up well. :-)

RVANANO
12/02/2010, 08:30 AM
I had the reactor running from 4pm yesterday until this monring when I left. I am still not comfortable leaving the house with the solenoid hot. I did give a better heat test and I was able to hold my finger on it for 3-4 seconds before I felt like it was too hot to touch.

I did notice this morning that all my coral looked more vibrant than ever and the polyps were super extended. Not sure if it's just my imagination or not though.

I will run it again this eve and this whole weekend while I am at home.

Humu Humu
12/02/2010, 10:31 AM
It sounds like you have the wrong type of solenoid. It should be the type that can remain "on" or activated for an extended period of time without overheating. Your coil in the solenoid is getting hot because it is not rated for continuous use.

RVANANO
12/02/2010, 11:30 AM
That's what I am starting to think. It's a 110V. My electrical friend hasn't looked at it yet but he thinks he has a low voltage solenoid he can swap onto the regulator. Otherwise I will have to get a new one. Which will have to wait until after Xmas b/c of shopping for my wife and stepdaughter.

TheH
12/02/2010, 12:34 PM
Do you know the manufacturer? Most solenoids will get warm when they are in the open position for an extended period of time, but should not get too hot.

RVANANO
12/02/2010, 12:36 PM
I will have to check when I get home. Our local LFS owner didn't recognize it. Probably a welding regulator or something else. I traded a local a small frag of superman monti for it and an empty CO2 tank. He told me he didn't know anything about it nor had he used it so.... Nature of the beast with trading.

RVANANO
12/04/2010, 07:52 AM
Took my regulator over to my best friends last night. He is very knowledgeable with all things electrical. He suggested I get a 12V DC solenoid to replace the 110V.

He went ahead and removed it for now so I will just run the regulator without solenoid until I find one online. I keep an eye on my PH with my apex and am testing levels every day.

Does anyone know what voltage their solenoids are just so I am sure the 12V DC will work?

TheH
12/04/2010, 11:58 AM
I thought they were all 12V? At least for marine Calcium reactors and freshwater CO2 reactors. Sounds like this solenoid was designed for something else.

Make sure your friend installs the new solenoid. I heard it is tricky to make sure it doesn't leak.