PDA

View Full Version : After sudden fish death, Now what?

DeepSeaBeauti
12/01/2010, 10:15 AM
After the sudden death of my prize camel cowfish today im not concerned about the tank for a few reasons.
1. He was toxic when stressed, or dies. I did about a 15% water change last night while he was still semi alive.
2. Is there anything i should look for in the tank. I.e other test i should do. ( my water parameters were spot on) All the other fish in the tank look just fine, and are behaving normally.
3. Is there any additives, or medications i should add?

The loss of this fish is definatly hard. I joked and called him my dog fish, cause he always came to say hello at feeding or cleaning time. I just dont want to loose anyone else. Thanks in advance for anyhelp.

muppet
12/01/2010, 10:48 AM
I'm surprised your other fish are still alive. I would have done a much larger water change. At least 25% if not 50%.

I'd probably run polyfilter in an attempt to remove toxins although I'm not sure if it would be effective.

I was really tempted to get a boxfish but the on-death toxicity is a big dealbreaker for me, that and my tank has a LOT of flow and they don't like that.

DeepSeaBeauti
12/01/2010, 04:14 PM
He was an awesome fish. Strange as it may sound, this fish has an intelligent personality. I always thought it was cool to have a fish that did not just swim around aimlessly. With that said it is a must to have at least 75g of water for this fish. He loves to stretch his fins and will swim from one side of the tank to the other in record speed. Im confident that i will be getting another.

Paul B
12/01/2010, 06:05 PM
I would not add anything, if the other fish were exposed to the toxin they would be dead already. I have had many cowfish over the years and never had any problems when they died, it happens but is rare.

Chris27
12/01/2010, 06:26 PM
Running some carbon can ease your mind, but really if the other fish are still alive, it may not have released the toxin.

DeepSeaBeauti
12/02/2010, 03:18 PM
I would not add anything, if the other fish were exposed to the toxin they would be dead already. I have had many cowfish over the years and never had any problems when they died, it happens but is rare.

How many years would you say is the life span for these camel cowfish?

Paul B
12/02/2010, 03:20 PM
I really could not even guess but I would imagine at least ten or fifteen years. There are very few fish that do not have at least that lifespan except fish in the seahorse family and some small gobies.

DeepSeaBeauti
12/02/2010, 03:24 PM
Running some carbon can ease your mind, but really if the other fish are still alive, it may not have released the toxin.

I had just changed my gfo, and carbon the week before the death. I think that on top of the water change, and the fish being ok i think im in the clear.

xxjdmcivicek9xx
12/02/2010, 05:29 PM
when cowfish die they dont always expel a toxin...so it sounds like your in the clear!