PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me a single "main" fish for my 47G tank

sahin
12/01/2010, 10:43 AM
My new custom tank will be delivered in the new year. It will have a size of 47G (US) and have the following dimensions:

30" Lenth x 20" Width x 18" height.

I will be keeping SPS corals and clams.

I know tangs are out of suitable range for this tank, but I would like to keep at least 1 large fish with good colours to be the main attraction of the tank in terms of the fishes.

I dont want tomato clowns etc, too aggressive etc.

Please recommend me a suitable fish.

Thanks.

mil hse
12/01/2010, 11:56 AM
I always enjoy watching flame angles

sahin
12/01/2010, 12:20 PM
I always enjoy watching flame angles

Is this relateively a reef safe fish? I may have read somewhere that they nip SPS and clams? Note entirely sure, hence why I made this thread and provided relevant coral stocking info.

sahin
12/01/2010, 12:30 PM
Just read a bit up on this fish. Going to keep it in my "maybe list". Please recommend others. Thanks.

SDguy
12/01/2010, 12:32 PM
Fathead anthias?

danbmx
12/01/2010, 12:33 PM
Midas blends are very cool. Not all that large though. Nit to many big fish for that size tank. I think a few small fish is a lot better than one big. More activity that way

danbmx
12/01/2010, 02:29 PM
Blennys*

75 tanker
12/02/2010, 05:53 AM
I feel that in a smaller tank it is better to pick smaller fish that all have a job to fill in the aquarium. If one "main fish" is disired i say go with a dwarf angel that you enjoy and fits your needs

MikeandNicole
12/02/2010, 09:56 AM
If you want a fish that will be open and swimming, I would say a wrasse. They are active, can be very beautiful, and some of them can be beneficial to your corals by eating flatworms. A dwarf angel would also be nice but if you are planning on keeping clams that can be hit or miss.

For less movement, I have a 45g and have a fathead anthias in there and he is doing great. Another great fish is a gold assesor basslet which you could do a group of. Depending on your budget you could look at the more expensive basslets (candy, cave, etc.). A pair of clowns is also another solid choice, just look for some percs or false percs that are not so aggressive.

Cahooligan
12/02/2010, 06:38 PM
+1 on a mated pair of clowns. If you got the money, picassos are nice, or anything. seeing as your doing sps and clams, your lights would be good for an anemone(if you want one). firefish are nice too, but sometimes they tend to be jumpers, and sometimes wont mix with clowns. if you have no other fish, maybe a dwarf fuzzy lionfish? if metal halides arent too bright for them...

tootsmcgee
12/02/2010, 07:41 PM
+1 on the flame angel

If you have a sandbed I also love yellow coris wrasse (Halichoeres chrysus). They might be a problem with smaller shrimp and feather dusters but they eat pyramid snails, birstleworms and sometimes flatworms. I think they are safe with clams and sps but I want someone to back me up on that.

Jdbrine
12/02/2010, 07:47 PM
Flame Angel......

ezhoops
12/02/2010, 07:49 PM
a nice pair of clowns with a smaller anemone would be beautiful. No carpets anem's though.