PDA

View Full Version : Intermitant Net Failure

Tumbleweed13
12/01/2010, 12:27 PM
Intermitantly I can not connect to my APEX through the Net system. Where it be through the web, in home wireless network or even directly connect into the computer. If I disconect the power from the module and then reconect it sometimes it will start to work for a little while but will stop again. ie. I tried to access it this morning through my home network but could not, and now I just tried to access it throw aquanotes on my iPhone while at work and it connected right up. Any ideas?

kenargo
12/01/2010, 05:28 PM
What 'module' are you disconnecting power from to get it back working?

Tumbleweed13
12/01/2010, 09:04 PM
I am unplugging the base module usb. I don't always have to unplug it to have it work. It was working right before I posted my question and stopped working right after I was done. Then it worked again 30min later. I never unplugged it then, I was at work.

kurt_n
12/01/2010, 09:32 PM
Could it be a DHCP problem? Almost sounds like the router is losing track of the Apex within the network. Is DHCP at the Apex set "on" or "off"?

Tumbleweed13
12/01/2010, 11:00 PM
I still have the problem when I connect directly to the apex base module with the computer using a network cable.

kenargo
12/02/2010, 12:44 AM
This almost sounds like router issue but a few things to try...

1) You can change the Apex to static IP (and see if entering the IP address still has the random failures)

2) When you get in a falure state check if there are still 2 LEDs flashing on the Apex Ethernet port; maybe it's a bad network cable

kurt_n
12/02/2010, 11:07 AM
I still have the problem when I connect directly to the apex base module with the computer using a network cable.

That could still be a DHCP issue. I'm no network guru, but the way I understand it... if DHCP is set "on" then your router/computer/Apex all do a little dance to assign an IP/network address that everyone can agree upon and talk to each other through. This address can change depending on the things trying to access the network - wirelessly and wired. It almost sounds like the network address is changing, causing you to lose contact with the Apex. Something in the network - possibly the router, like Kenargo mentioned - is not playing nice with everyone.

If DHCP is "off", then *you* assign an IP/network address to the Apex and it stays the same until you tell it otherwise.

In kenargo's post, "thing to try (1)" will tell you if what I'm thinking is what's happeneing.

Tumbleweed13
12/02/2010, 02:13 PM
It is set up with Static IP. Now I don't know if I can do it the way that I am, but when I plug my laptop straight into the base module with a standard network cable and I try and acess it using the base units IP address I still cannot acces the module.
I don't know about the lights on the module when working and not working I will have to check it when I get home.

kurt_n
12/03/2010, 12:34 AM
Oh... if you have it set up as a static IP, then scratch my idea. If it's static, seems like it should work all the time, or nothing.

Not sure if the direct connection without a router should/will work. Seems like it should. Someone will most likely chime in on that pretty soon.