PDA

View Full Version : starting reef over advice

seayu
12/01/2010, 01:42 PM
I've pretty much decided on starting my tank over unless someone can convince me otherwise. My problem starts with cyano due to what I believe to be my rocks leaching. I've been using pretty much the same rock for the last 9yrs on different set ups and during part of those years the husbandry was terrible.

I'm seriously considering starting my tank over with new rock. I think I want to start this time with dead rock and keep up with the tanks maintenance as I have been doing so for the past year with hopes of not having to deal with all of these phosphate and nutrient issues as I'm dealing with now.

Although I'm battling with cyano all of my coral appear to be doing well for the most part and I'd like to keep them alive while I start the tank over. Any ideas on how to house the coral while I prepare for this. I'm pretty terrified of the idea of just putting everything in a plastic container for a month or more until my tank cycles. Even if I do decide to do so what effects on the coral will it have if I get rid of the unwanted rock in the meantime or should I keep the rock with the coral and fish until the new tank cycles before passing on the rock? Also, I'm sure I wont be able to use my skimmer on a this temp setup being it's too big and wouldn't to risk sucking up my fish.

I've tried gfo and I do run carbon. I just want to start over, new aquascaping, new husbandry even salt (ESV). Any ideas or advice on how to do this the easiest and safest way would be appreciated.

blennymower
12/01/2010, 03:15 PM
I wouldn't start over. If you start over every time something goes wrong you're never going to enjoy the hobby and stress out the inhabitants of your tank. Maintain a good husbandry regime: make sure you're bulbs aren't old, do water changes, don't overfeed, clean up any detritus you can, etc.

blennymower
12/01/2010, 03:17 PM
If you want, look up some chemicals to get rid of the cyano such as chemi clean (you won't be able to use your skimmer with this product). Remember, cyano is just pretty much ugly. That I know of it doesn't harm your reef. It helps it by cleaning the water by stripping it of nutrients.

sslak
12/01/2010, 04:12 PM
Have you checked your magnesium level?

I had some Cyano after a move and found out my Mg was at 900. Dosed it up to 1350 over the course of a few days and immediately my cyano disappeared.

reefgeezer
12/01/2010, 04:16 PM
Besides new rock, what would you do differently? "Leaching" rock after 9 years is pretty uncommon - I think. Do you have another theory as to the cause of the problem?

laud
12/01/2010, 04:39 PM
I've heard of a technique called "cooking your rock". I am not sure if it will get rid of old leached phosphates, but if it clears it out, why not do it and seed your tank with new live rock also.

I did not like the way my old tank was maintained due to evaporating water and either frequent LFS drives for RO or using tap water that really ruined my tank and outlook on owning a reef. So, I installed an auto top off with an RO/DI system in my laundry room that runs through the attic and attaches to a float valve in my sump. It is the best thing I did and it remains a maintenence issue that I don't think about more than twice a year. (changing cartridges, resin and flushing the membrane)

I would recommend getting the largest water volume you can allow. Don't skimp on equipment like skimmers, Ca Reactors and Phosphate reactors. Take you time and handle issues before they become overwhelming.

My $.02. haha

seayu
12/01/2010, 04:39 PM
I check my mag on a regular basis now and at one point before checking, it was low but now I keep my mag aroung 1400 and still cyano.

As far as what I would do differently, for starters I wouldn't let detritus build up so much in the first place to the point where I think my rocks are leaching phophates and/or any other built up nutrients. I would certainly continue to feed less as I do now. Keep up with frequent water changes as I do now. Not use Reef Crystals as it's surely not my favorite, at all. Add even more flow to my tank to help stir things up a bit. I would also probably just pretty much use less rock or choose more manageable pieces specific to this tanks set up size. Again with the rock being originally purchased for a much larger set up the rock was more so choosen for that set up.

seayu
12/01/2010, 04:42 PM
At one point the cyano was bugging me so much that I constantly had my hands in the tank rearranging things to get to the cyano. As of late I've slow down a bit with messing with the tank and switched to ESV salt and I see a fast increase coral growth, especially sps. I just want to be happy with my tank as I believe we all want to be after putting so much into it.

seayu
12/01/2010, 04:49 PM
Not skimping is part of the problem. I haven't been skimping. I recently upgraded my RKL package, added an ATO (best improvement yet), oversized skimmer BK Mini 160 on a 50 cube. I added a chiller and MP20. I'm soon looking into adding a MP40 and dialing it down. Last I'm considering LED's. I love halides though.

Floowid
12/01/2010, 05:09 PM
Take out half the rock, especially since you say you have too much. Cook it for a month or so, then replace the other half with the cooked rock in a month. At that time make all the changes you said you would do, like less rock, better flow, better upkeep on the detritus removal, etc. No need to throw the baby out with the bath water. In the meantime, do big water changes, test for alk calc and mag, and enjoy your tank.